Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Race is about genetics not skin color so I don't know where you are coming from with this. A racially black person can be very light skinned. A racially white person can have darker skin. Learn to know the difference between race and skin color. They aren't necessarily a one size fits all.
Actually, in the end, race is really socially constructed.

It's why back in the day (and not so much anymore), if you had a great-great-great grandmother that was black, and allll the rest of your family was white, you'd still be considered "black." Today that isn't the case. It's also why Irish could be considered "not white" in some parts of this history.

It is true that some people take their "one drop" of whiteness of blackness or "otherness" and run with it to the extreme. Like the people who are 1/16th Cherokee Princess attending Pow Wows and proclaiming to be "not white." But really, I think people should be able to identify with what they want to identify. If a 1/4 black person can identify as a "black person," if they want to or feel more connection to that culture, a 1/4 white person should be able to identify as a "white person."

Hispanics pose a problem for a lot of Americans who are not very travelled and only have experience with Mexicans in America - who often come from the Southern, poorer parts of Mexico and tend to be heavily Indian and Mestizo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
gringos & latinos have more in common and more similar mindset than any other combinations...

MY Fiancee was born in Brasil but her dad was German and her mom's father was german.
even though she is 3/4 german blooded, shes Brasilian thru and thru..

I suspect this is a common theme w/a lot of people w/Latin heritage...

Does she look like Giselle Bundchen?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, in the end, race is really socially constructed.

It's why back in the day (and not so much anymore), if you had a great-great-great grandmother that was black, and allll the rest of your family was white, you'd still be considered "black." Today that isn't the case. It's also why Irish could be considered "not white" in some parts of this history.

It is true that some people take their "one drop" of whiteness of blackness or "otherness" and run with it to the extreme. Like the people who are 1/16th Cherokee Princess attending Pow Wows and proclaiming to be "not white." But really, I think people should be able to identify with what they want to identify. If a 1/4 black person can identify as a "black person," if they want to or feel more connection to that culture, a 1/4 white person should be able to identify as a "white person."

Hispanics pose a problem for a lot of Americans who are not very travelled and only have experience with Mexicans in America - who often come from the Southern, poorer parts of Mexico and tend to be heavily Indian and Mestizo.
I think we have had this conversation before. Race is simply genetics/DNA nothing else. One cannot identify as being something they are not. By doing so they are being dishonest. A person can identity with any culture that they choose to practice but they can't change their race.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
"White" in Latin America is usually like "black" in the United States. By that I mean where a "black person" in the U.S. could be near white looking, a white person in Latin America can be too swarthy or brownish to be considered white in the USofA.

Take Reverend Wright who was President Obama's former Protestant pastor. He's regarded as black in the United States by both blacks and whites. But Brazilians say they regard him as white.
I don't know one Brazilian - or anyone in Latin America - who would say that Rev. Wright is white. Mulatto, yes. White, hell no.

Quote:

I have three nephews, two of which are biologically related to me, and of the two biological brothers one could pass for either a very dark skin Sicilian or a slightly darker complexion of J-Lo. The other one is whiter in complexion than some "whites" not to mention he was born blond (the other with dark hair).

Their grandfather--my father--is black. Their father--my brother--is mulatto. Their grandmother--my mother--is white. Their mother--my sister-in-law--is white. This is a more new phenomenon in the U.S. but is an old and not uncommon familial situation in Latin America.

I remember a dark skinned Mestizo from Colombia showing me a family photograph. He had in his own family in the photo--literally--people that were clearly dark mestizos, mulattoes, blacks, and whites. I didn't see any Asians though.
Lots of families in this hemisphere like that.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 PM

366 posts, read 645,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So expecting a poster to follow the rules of the TOS is whining? Really?

Perhaps you should speak for yourself and not me and move on yourself.
Please don't do this in my thread. The topic is: Latinos make up the bulk of US interracial marriages. Its a fact. A debate on immigration should go to the immigration forum, not here. My reason for the thread is to find out why exactly Latinos make up 60-67% of all partners in interracial marriages yearly. It wasnt about policies on immigration, somehow you have hijacked this thread .

Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Cuba is indeed mostly of African descent. At least 70 percent of the population is mulatto (any mix of African and European) or black (majority African). Like any other Latin American country, Cubans tend to self-identify as being whiter than they actually are. As for the Cubans in Miami, they are much whiter proportionally than are those in Cuba.
Dont tell them that. In fact they are more black than they are latino-mestizo or white. Mexicos entire regions of Sinaloa and Guadalajara are completely white. Chapo Guzman , public enemy #1, is white. As is cartel leader
Attached Thumbnails
Interracial unions Latinos make up the Bulk of them in the USA-el-chapo.jpg  

Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know one Brazilian - or anyone in Latin America - who would say that Rev. Wright is white. Mulatto, yes. White, hell no.

Lots of families in this hemisphere like that.

Many blacks would like Caribbeans and Puerto Ricans to adopt their blackness, since they are mixed. But at the same time they try denying that many Mexicans,Cubans, and other latinos are white, claiming them not to be.

If Puerto Ricans should acknowledge their blackness, shouldnt Mexicans and other latinos acknowledge their European heritage?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Many blacks would like Caribbeans and Puerto Ricans to adopt their blackness, since they are mixed. But at the same time they try denying that many Mexicans,Cubans, and other latinos are white, claiming them not to be.
It's pretty simple for me. If you're white, you're white. I have never denied the Europeaness or whiteness of some Latins. If you look like Vicente Fox or Nestor Kirchner, you're white. If you look like Hugo Chavez or Ollanta Humala or Evo Morales or Alberto Fujimori or Leonel Fernandez, you're not.

Quote:
If Puerto Ricans should acknowledge their blackness, shouldnt Mexicans and other latinos acknowledge their European heritage?
I don't think anyone denies their European heritage. I have even had long conversations with black Cuban and Brazilian musicians about their respective countries' European cultural heritage. We all appreciate Europe.

I just don't like to see Latinos deny their indigenous or African roots.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Dont tell them that. In fact they are more black than they are latino-mestizo or white. Mexicos entire regions of Sinaloa and Guadalajara are completely white. Chapo Guzman , public enemy #1, is white. As is cartel leader
He looks like a light mestizo to me.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
He looks like a light mestizo to me.
He does kind of. I was just trying to pin off the most notorious drug lord today on another people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies