Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times

Advertisements

But the anti immigration idiots are always telling us how Latinos hate anyone who isn't Latino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Fact: despite accounting for 17% of the populace. Hispanics primarily Mexicans in the Southwest account for 60-67% of all interracial relationships yearly.

Whites only married Hispanics in the states of California, Texas, Nevada and Colorado when they did marry out in America. The largest share of white interracial unions happened in this area of America. Nearly everywhere else in the USA whites had numbers as low as 9 in every 1000 marriages being interracial. The rates of white interracial marriages in the Southwest was almost triple as it was in any other region. By far the largest share of white interracial relationships was located here.

Places like NY, the East, South had such few numbers of whites marrying out that if the Southwest didn't bolster white interracial marriage , statistically whites would have nearly no interracial marriages at all in America.

As an example: There are more white/Latino marriages in California than their are black/white across the entire USA.

Yearly on average 50% of all unions that are interracial are between whites and Hispanics. Another 11-17% of "other interracial unions" involved 1 Hispanic partner.

My question is this: why do white Americans have such an aversion to Asians and Blacks and others, in differing parts of the USA while having huge shares of their communities marrying Hispanics in the Southwest? Why do Hispanics have an almost negative number of marriages to blacks and Asians? while having a 90% chance of marrying a white person when they do marry out? clearly their are racial preferences in dating in the USA, with certain races doing the majority of the mixing. Are the thoughts on race similar between Mestizos and Whites?

<primarily Mexicans & whites and Mexicans and others> and most likely to be found in the Southwest of the USA. >
I have no problem with Asians and Hispanics. I have a lot of respect for them because of their work ethic. I see a bright future for them in America. The other minority groups better wake up and try to keep up with them.

I don't see them voting for idiotic liberal programs in the future that subsidize mediocrity and lazy do-nothing people who try to hide behind some victim status.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
OP spoke chiefly about marriages between white Americans and mestizo Mexicans or Mexican Americans in the Southwest.

If you look at relationships on the East Coast between African Americans and Puerto Ricans (and later, Panamanians, Cubans and Dominicans), you will see a much different picture. African Americans have been marrying Caribbean Latinos, who more than often are black or mixed, in large numbers for most of the last century. I come from such a marriage.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This is why the Dems counting on Latinos in the long term is an error. Many of them will simply be absorbed into the White hegemony, especially the middle class oriented.
I am proof of this statement.

[]

Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Growing up in the Midwest in the 60's and 70's, we never really thought of Hispanic as a separate race, any more than Jewish or Italian. Spain is after all a European country. You could say we were thinking in terms of "white Hispanic" long before the NYT ever called George Zimmerman that. Hence a Hispanic-white marriage would not have been considered inter-racial where I came from.
Most "Hispanics" in America are neither from Spain nor of total European origins. Some of us don't have any European ancestry at all.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM

366 posts, read 645,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I am the product of such a marriage. Whites and Mexicans have been mixing it up in California for a long, long time.

They have more in common than people realize, especially if we're talking about Americanized Mexican-Americans. Dodgers baseball? Los Lakers? Monday Night Football? Classic cars? Classic rock and oldies? Backyard BBQ? Check, check, check, check, check, and check, aaaaaand I could go on and on.

Catholicism sweetens the pot, which is why you'll see a lot of Sullivans and Kowalskis mixing it up with Sanchezes and Garcias. Your cranky old Irish Catholic granny will object a lot less if you bring home Jill Ramirez who prays to the Virgin every night and keeps a rosary in her purse than if you bring home Jenny Chang whose family puts trays of food in front of a statue of some shirtless fat dude, or Carla Jones who goes to a church where the preacher jumps up and down and hollers.

Also, out West I get the impression that Catholic parishes aren't as ethnically specific as they are back East (unless you're in an area that is almost all Mexican/Latino, like East L.A.). Out West, anybody who's Catholic will go to whatever Catholic church is in the area, so a congregation will end up being half Mexican half white or something, with maybe a sprinkling of Filipinos. Whereas if you're in a town like Chicago or Cleveland, the Italians go to one church, the Hungarians go to another church, the Irish go to another church, etc. Maybe it was more like that back in the day than it is now, but I don't know that it was ever like that in California unless it was the 1930s or something.

Basically, in California, Mexicans are seen by whites as being "closer" to them than are blacks or Asians. Both culturally and in terms of physical appearance. Especially if we're talking about Mexican-Americans as opposed to recent immigrants. They also tend to come into more contact. Blacks and Asians are more likely to stick to their own communities; there are blacks that mix it up with everyone else but they're fewer and further between. Whereas Mexicans are pretty much everywhere that whites are (unless you're way up in the Sierras or way north of the Bay/Sacramento) and have been for a long time. There's also a lot more Mexicans than there are blacks or Asians, so in terms of it being a numbers game, they'll come out ahead on just that alone.

If we're talking about teenagers, I don't think Mexican kids catch as much flak for "acting white" as their black counterparts do. That includes being into white music, hanging with white people, dressing white, etc. A black kid wearing skinny jeans and listening to indie music has to watch his ass in a black neighborhood. A Mexican kid, not nearly so much. Now, as for Asians, I think Asian girls get with white guys more frequently than Mexican girls do, but again, in terms of sheer numbers, Mexicans outnumber Asians and have been mixing it up for longer, and a Mexican guy is more likely to get a white girl than an Asian guy is. (Long story.)

One last thing. Sure, grandpa over in Arizona hates Mexicans and is always ranting about them on the internet, but his grandson back in the San Fernando Valley sure doesn't. Especially when some fine brown thing named Isabella catches his eye. Sorry grandpa.

Proximity (culture, physical looks, and geographic location) and sheer numbers, basically.
This is very true. What is staggering here is that the vast majority of whites in America live outside of the Southwestern USA. Everywhere else in America whites stuck to marrying other whites. The East Coast and South had very small amounts of mixing. The only place whites had triple digit interracial marriages per thousand was in the Southwest. The closest area of mass interracial mixing for whites was in Hawaii , where basically a Hawaiian is a white/Asian combination.

Like I said if not for mixing with Latinos in the states of: Texas-Arizona-Colorado-New Mexico-California, whites would have a negative balance of interracial unions.

Now heres the thing: Latinos male and female, both, in percentages of 87%-91% , when marrying any other race did so 9 times out of 10 with a white person. The numbers in California were nearly identical for white females, and showed a slant for white males ( i.e. to high proportions of asian female/ white male )

Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Personally, I don't see a cultural or physical similarity between non-Hispanic whites and mestizo-Hispanic/Mexican. I am not against inter-racial or bi-cultural relationships however. One should be able to have one with anyone they choose. I have found though that when a non-Hispanic white marries a Hispanic they tend to adopt the Hispanic culture and viewpoint rather than the other way around. I wonder why that is? Hmm.
What is your location?

Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
People tend to marry people of similar backgrounds because that's who they see most and with whom they often feel comfortable.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
OP spoke chiefly about marriages between white Americans and mestizo Mexicans or Mexican Americans in the Southwest.

If you look at relationships on the East Coast between African Americans and Puerto Ricans (and later, Panamanians, Cubans and Dominicans), you will see a much different picture. African Americans have been marrying Caribbean Latinos, who more than often are black or mixed, in large numbers for most of the last century. I come from such a marriage.
In terms of absolute interracial marriage percentages in the USA the east coast , and eastern seaboard states have really very little interracial marriage based on census and other info.

In fact whites in the NorthEast had the lowest rates of interracial marriage. There are 15x more Interracial marriages involving white partners in the Southwest.

There are more interracial marriages in California involving white-hispanic than their are black-white throughout USA. In one state!

Also Lucario, if you take the sum of white/latino marriages out in these states of the southwest, remove the white/latino mixing. Latinos would still have higher rates of interracial marriages than Blacks....from marrying Asians and Blacks.

So heres what I am saying:

1. Latinos make up the bulk of interracial marriages in America. On average 61-67% of all interracial marriages has one hispanic partner.

2. Nearly all of those unions were in the Southwestern USA.

3. Whites only married out in significant portions in the Southwestern USA and Hawaii. Everywhere else there numbers were as low as 9 in ever 1000 (missippi).

Old 06-20-2013, 01:45 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I have no problem with Asians and Hispanics. I have a lot of respect for them because of their work ethic. I see a bright future for them in America. The other minority groups better wake up and try to keep up with them.

I don't see them voting for idiotic liberal programs in the future that subsidize mediocrity and lazy do-nothing people who try to hide behind some victim status.
I have a problem with Hispanics who think their ethnic group should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them. Work ethnic does not erase that big flaw. I guess in your stereotyping about work ethics whites are what, chopped liver, inferior?

No one wants to subsidize lazy, do-nothing people so why just mention Asians and Hispanics? Who is hiding behind a victim status?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies