Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,044,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Am_I_Here View Post
They also prohibit

Play competitive sports professionally
Wear revealing clothes or skirts that are too short. (there a few of her in a bikini..)

Doesn't seem like she is a "follower"..
Serena doesn't play a competitive sport professionally.

She is too good of a player - no one can compete with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM

582 posts, read 1,120,348 times
Serena's (alleged) quote: "I'm not blaming the girl, but if you're a 16-year-old and you're drunk like that, your parents should teach you – don't take drinks from other people. She's 16, why was she that drunk where she doesn't remember? It could have been much worse. She's lucky. Obviously I don't know, maybe she wasn't a virgin, but she shouldn't have put herself in that position, unless they slipped her something, then that's different."

Serena Williams said out loud what Trent Mays and Ma'Lik Richmod (the perpetrators) were most likely thinking to themselves when they sexually assaulted her. Do you honestly think this didn't cross their minds?

They knew that she would catch holy he*l for being pis*y drunk when she's only 16 years old – and she's a female. Drinking at 16 is okay, but getting pis*y drunk to the point where you can't remember anything... not okay for a 16-year-old girl. Okay for a 16-year-old boy, not okay for a 16-year-old girl.

We all know that there are plenty of adults and kids out there who think this way. Perhaps that's why no one – not one single person, male or female – at the party did anything to stop it.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM

24,447 posts, read 23,121,323 times
She actually elevated herself from being only an athlete to show she's a thinking person by saying what she did. Lets hope more young people who respect her heard what she said.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
The girl shouldn't have allowed herself get into the situation she did. I'm a bit perplexed at what is wrong with noting that. I would say the exact same thing for the guys.

Yes, kids will drink. Many times bad things will happen when you drink to excess like we see here. Just because someone noted that she should not have allowed herself to get into this situation does not mean someone is in any way saying that what the guys did was understandable.

Two wrongs do not make a right. She obviously had way too much to drink. Other bad things can happen when you do that. There have been kids fall off balconies and kill themselves. Fall into a pool or pond and drown. Step in front of a car (I know a guy that did this). The list of bad consequences are endless. She might have a drink earlier said "OK" and ended up pregnant or with a disease she had to deal the rest of her life with.

It is not wrong to point out that one should not put themselves into these situations.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The girl shouldn't have allowed herself get into the situation she did. I'm a bit perplexed at what is wrong with noting that. I would say the exact same thing for the guys.

Yes, kids will drink. Many times bad things will happen when you drink to excess like we see here. Just because someone noted that she should not have allowed herself to get into this situation does not mean someone is in any way saying that what the guys did was understandable.

Two wrongs do not make a right. She obviously had way too much to drink. Other bad things can happen when you do that. There have been kids fall off balconies and kill themselves. Fall into a pool or pond and drown. Step in front of a car (I know a guy that did this). The list of bad consequences are endless. She might have a drink earlier said "OK" and ended up pregnant or with a disease she had to deal the rest of her life with.

It is not wrong to point out that one should not put themselves into these situations.
This has nothing to do with her being raped. The boys did not have to rape her. They knew she was too impaired to consent. It i not my responsibility to teach the boys the good sense not to rape. She did not put them in a position where the only option they had was to sexually assault her.

Again, the rape is not her fault. Whether or not she should be drinking does not make those boys any less guilty.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,494,911 times
So if someone, in this case a girl, voluntarily drinks several alcoholic drinks, anything that happens to her is not her fault? Interesting.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 PM

17,474 posts, read 9,299,874 times
I don't know how you get past the fact that this became an "entertainment" for the crowd ..... they all thought it was funny to see a girl get raped while it was video taped and then posted on-line.

Says a lot about how degraded this country has become.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,928,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
So if someone, in this case a girl, voluntarily drinks several alcoholic drinks, anything that happens to her is not her fault? Interesting.
She is at fault for underage drinking. If she chooses to drive a car while drunk, or gets into a car with another drunk person, or gets alcohol poisoning that is her fault.

If some delinquent attacks her? Not her fault. They could have attacked anyone, the sexual assault was not in her control.

If you are walking on the sidewalk at night, in a dark colored outfit, and a drunk driver runs you over on the sidewalk, is it your fault he was drunk and ran you over? I don't think so.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This has nothing to do with her being raped. The boys did not have to rape her. They knew she was too impaired to consent. It i not my responsibility to teach the boys the good sense not to rape. She did not put them in a position where the only option they had was to sexually assault her.
And no one said she did or excused what they did. It seems that a lot of people just react without thinking. About like a flock of birds.

Quote:
Again, the rape is not her fault. Whether or not she should be drinking does not make those boys any less guilty.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
NOBODY said it was her fault. It was said that she should not have put herself in that situation. What in the rape causes people to ignore that?

If she had not been raped are you saying that it would have been wrong for her parents to have sat her down and explained to her that what she did was wrong and why she should not put herself in a position like that?

You seem to be saying it was excusable because she got raped. What if she had stumbled and fell in front of a car? Would it be wrong then to note that she should not have allowed herself to get into the position she was in?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:13 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,494,911 times
So if she was leading the boys on perhaps, she is not partly at fault? I was not there and really could care less about this case, but to say that she couldn't even a small part be at fault is foolhardy, in my opinion. One should not get (especially if one is a female) extremely drunk in front of a large group. Do we charge her with underage drinking (assuming she wasn't pinned down and had alcohol pour down her throat) as she did violate the law? I think there is a smidge of truth to the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies