Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So your argument is over advertising rather than actuality ?

i can see your point there, i mean, i disagree, but i see your point.... but your earlier comments make it seem like you were talking about the make up of the student body and who was allowed to attend rather than advertisements.
" but your earlier comments make it seem like you"

That is what you get for trying to think you know what others are thinking.

Stick to your own thoughts and quit trying to be a mind reader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
HBCU= Historically Black College or University. Is English not your first language?
Stop being silly...you know damn well that there's a difference between being a "black college" and an HBCU.

The schools have had historically high levels of black enrollment, but they aren't DESIGNATED anymore as ONLY being for blacks if they ever were...and not all of them were.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Exactly. And the "historical black colleges" should NOT be labeled as "black" colleges as the poster used in his title.
Please explain why? The colleges were at one time was the few places where blacks could get college degrees, it never excluded anyone else from going. Actuall y for those confused people that scream about Affirmative Action all they had to do was apply to am HBCU were they would qualify as a minority. There are quite a few smart white folks who have done that and excelled.

White valedictorian: A first for historically black Morehouse ...

Old 06-24-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
HBCU= Historically Black College or University. Is English not your first language?
Do you even know what makes a college or University a HBCU?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'd love these folks who insist there are no black colleges to tell the alums from HBCUs that.
This bare repeating for the confused:

Maybe you should focus on the first two letters of HBCU and you would getting a better understanding of what it actually means

Changing Face of Historically Black Colleges - ABC News

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
"This shows how very little you know about HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES(HBCU). The keyword being HISTORICALLY"

What does that have to do with today?

This shows you don't know a damn thing about what I know AND don't know.

"HISTORICALLY" blacks weren't considered a whole person. Slavery was legal. How far do you want to back?

The Equal Rights Amendment was signed in 1972. There should be NO "black" colleges. We don't have "white" colleges anymore.

And yes, I know some whites go to these "black" colleges colleges.

I am against discrimination

First of all there is no such thing as a college that excludes anyone that is not black, secondly it is considered to be a honor to be recognized as one of the few schools in the country that opened it's doors to blacks when no other did.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Can't believe I had to go this far into the thread before someone pointed out there is no such thing as a black college. If people have a problem with history, they should hop in their time machines and ask their ancestors why mainstream colleges weren't happy welcoming places for black students.

This basically the reason behind this thread. Most of the posters who post about Obama ruining things for black people couldn't care less about Obama or black people. They just like to say "oh ha ha black people you voted for Obama and now he's messing up your life"

I fully expect to see a thread one day that says "More black women going natural after the price of relaxers increased due to Obama drinking Crystal Light instead of Kool-aid!"

Thanks Nat I needed that

Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I probably am missing your point.

my apologies, I meant the civil rights Act of 1964, not the Equal Rights Amendment.MY point is, There should be NO "black" colleges. We don't have "white" colleges anymore.

Good for you because there are no "Black Colleges" and there were never (that I know of) "White Colleges" but there were colleges that did not admit anyone that was not white. Look at the history of Georgia and the issues that Ole Miss had not too long ago:
'Riots' on Ole Miss campus after election results announced ...

Old 06-24-2013, 05:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Yeah as someone whose roots are deeply planted in HBCU's they will be the first ones to educate someone on the history of their school. The term "black college" is derogatory and I doubt anyone with pride in their school would allow someone to reduce it being simply a school for black people.
I went to a HBCU for undergrad nothing but a sea of black faces. Sure there were a few Whites and non Blacks but to suggest HBCUs are not black schools is laughable.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This bare repeating for the confused:

Maybe you should focus on the first two letters of HBCU and you would getting a better understanding of what it actually means

Changing Face of Historically Black Colleges - ABC News
Lol an exception doesn't disprove the rule. When Howard becomes majority White let me know. Then you may have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies