Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:07 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much do you expect minimum wage workers to save for retirement?

Minimum wage is for high schoolers or while you're going to college.

Last edited by fordlover; 06-28-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
I don't make minimum wage & I live paycheck to paycheck. And I'm not out buying the latest luxury goods or trying to keep up with the Jones'. In fact, the last time I bought any clothes, I bought two shirts at a thrift shop. I haven't bought any electronics in years, I never go to the movies, barely eat out & if I do it's not at higher end restaurants that's for sure. My bills are rent, water, electric, internet, phone, car insurance, renter's insurance & one credit card where the credit limit is only $500 so it's not like I'm living high on credit cards. I put some money from each check into my deferred comp.

To those out there pointing fingers & accusing everyone who lives paycheck to paycheck of living the good life, that's a lie.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
well he did promise that under his plan, prices would necessarily skyrocket.
That was energy costs, wasn't it?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Landlords are addicted to immediate gratification, so what do you expect of the rent slaves? When they don't get the check on time like clockwork, I imagine things get hairy. I took a property management class and learned that n Oregon, you can start the process to clear out the riff-raff 5 days past due.
As it should be. Good enough to use, good enough to pay for.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Of course, landlords are certainly entitled to get back possession if the rent is not paid timely. But I find it humorous to see many landlords living it large to the point that they are highly dependent in getting the rent checks on time, every time...the irony of people saying that renters need to live within their means, while they themselves don't live within their means and depend on others to save their financial hides month after month.

AND...have y'all noticed that landlords have one month of built-in float, while renters usually don't get any float at all? The landlord with a mortgage has the full use of his borrowed money for a month but the renter has to pay at least one month in advance (and often deposits/fees/last month's rent/etc on top of that)?
You make it seem as if those landlords are just taking and giving nothing in return. As for being dependent on the rent check - you're dependent on your burger flipper paycheck, right? No difference. It's how they earn their money. What they spend that money on is nobody's business, just as what you spend yours on isn't anyone's either.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
??? I believe in education but I can't afford it. Surely there are other burger flippers who believe in education but can't afford it - something like three percent of college students come from families in the bottom income quintile.

p.s. Yo, vBulletin - quintile is a real word! Looks like your coders need education.
Didn't you already get your education, but it was worthless?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:15 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Minimum wage is for high schoolers or while your going to college.
In an ideal world...

Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
In an ideal world...
I have a high school education, in my 30's. Anyone in my shoes earning minimum wage has something wrong with them, seriously. I saw a job for 13 bucks an hour, driving a water truck and they will put you thru truck driving school to get your CDL. If you choose to flip a burger, and put a highschooler out of a job rather than find a better paying job, well, I don't know what you tell you.

The oil patch is full of jobs that require no skill or experience or education, and pay VERY well (>80K a year). Only catch is they require you show up to work on time, and say off drugs. Those two requirements eliminate a large percentage of typical minimum wage workers.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
I have a high school education, in my 30's. Anyone in my shoes earning minimum wage has something wrong with them, seriously. I saw a job for 13 bucks an hour, driving a water truck and they will put you thru truck driving school to get your CDL. If you choose to flip a burger, and put a highschooler out of a job rather than find a better paying job, well, I don't know what you tell you.

The oil patch is full of jobs that require no skill or experience or education, and pay VERY well (>80K a year). Only catch is they require you show up to work on time, and say off drugs. Those two requirements eliminate a large percentage of typical minimum wage workers.
In addition, FedEx drivers start at $13/hr and can buy their own routes making north of 6 figures.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Minimum wage is for high schoolers or while you're going to college.
and for adults who cant handle a higher paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies