Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have a similar neighbor. Instead of paying the mortgage and property taxes, the money pays for the kid's out of state tuition and room and board- $75K a year. Attorney figures she will need to move just about the time kiddo finishes school. They could not deny their kid the opportunity to attend a top school.

I sometimes wonder if the kid realizes he will likely have to support his parents in 15 years.
The costs for books and tuition just skyrocket, they far out pace inflation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Yeah, but you can lock in today's rates for kids that will be going to school in 20 years.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:40 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I guess the thread title means that 22% of the American people are not making it from paycheck to paycheck and are just running up more debt. The remaining 2% are making all the loans and reaping all the profits.
No, there are plenty of us who avoid debt. I have no credit card debt, no car loan, no student loans (went to a cheaper public school and got lots of scholarships), and a cheap phone and a cheap apartment. Therefore, I make a substantial profit on each of my paychecks to the point that, just 5 years after graduating college, I now have so much saved up that I can easily afford any random big expense that might come up... or if, for some reason, I lost my job, I could probably afford to live for 2-3 years before feeling a pinch and needing a new one.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yeah, but you can lock in today's rates for kids that will be going to school in 20 years.

That must be wildly popular with burger flippers.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
No, there are plenty of us who avoid debt. I have no credit card debt, no car loan, no student loans (went to a cheaper public school and got lots of scholarships), and a cheap phone and a cheap apartment. Therefore, I make a substantial profit on each of my paychecks to the point that, just 5 years after graduating college, I now have so much saved up that I can easily afford any random big expense that might come up... or if, for some reason, I lost my job, I could probably afford to live for 2-3 years before feeling a pinch and needing a new one.

My grades and test scores were in the top 5% and I got ungatz (not counting a state scholarship that consisted of a mere $100/yr for books, which is pretty meaningless). What's up with that?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

well he did promise that under his plan, prices would necessarily skyrocket.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Totally agree. But the propaganda about student loans is pretty thick and heavy.
"Everyone can go to college and Uncle Sam will pay your way."

You know what ? Stay at home and go to the CC. Take only classes you can afford to pay for.
Get a p/t job and apply for scholarships and/or pell grant.

So it takes longer than 4 years. Not like there's lots of jobs out there that you need to be rushed.

What if you want to get away of your dysfunctional family? For one thing a relative was claiming me as a dependent and not providing support, so I was screwed out of financial aid because a lower middle class income in NYC is too much to qualify for aid.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Generally speaking, Americans are addicted to immediate gratification and thus deb and historical savings rates reflect this compared to other developed nations.

This predates the Great Depression/ New Deal.
Landlords are addicted to immediate gratification, so what do you expect of the rent slaves? When they don't get the check on time like clockwork, I imagine things get hairy. I took a property management class and learned that n Oregon, you can start the process to clear out the riff-raff 5 days past due.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Combined with a monetary policy that ensures you are eternally indebted in acquiring those possessions...

Yes?
great point alot of people don't talk about the monetary policy. inflation and the failing value of the dollar are a 1 2 punch that is effecting alot of people, people who dont know of the effects and failure of the current monetary policies

Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That must be wildly popular with burger flippers.
Burger flippers don't generally believe in education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies