Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Not necessarily. Prices have gone waaaay up. Wages have not.

Some people have all they can do to keep food on the table. Those are the people that need to spend every dime of their own. They don't qualify for anything nor are they asking for it.

I know quite a few like this. Not living in huge homes, some are renting. No car payments. Just monthly bills. Rent, food, lights, heat or oil, garbage, water, sewer, phone bill, cable bill, gas to get to and from work. I don't know about you, but the grocery bill is quite high these days.

Don't forget clothing, lunches for kids at school, school supplies, kids going to a birthday party, upcoming holidays if they celebrate anything. Money goes quick and we should be thankful that they are working for it and not relying on others to support them.
For some people.
I know others where they overextend on stupid items.

By the way How is it then we never hear the word inflation? Or in this case stagflation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Not to mention helping your kids go to college. There is no way an average middle-class family is going to have a lot left over if they have kids in college.
Very true. I paid off my $80k in student loans in 6 years and vowed that my kids would not suffer that kind of debt for a college education. Student loan debt is an albatross and parents who plan accordingly to pay for college are doing their children a huge favor.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Just an astute observation:

Last week, online lender CashNetUSA said 22% of the 1,000 people it recently surveyed had less than $100 in savings to cover an emergency, while 46% had less than $800. After paying debts and taking care of housing, car and child care-related expenses, the respondents said there just isn't enough money left over for saving more

76% of us are living paycheck-to-paycheck | HartfordBusiness.com

If you are paying for childcare, own or rent a home and have cars you have significant income.
I don't know what you mean by significant income, but your average working person or even working poor, have to live somewhere, so they are either renting or own a home, are paying for childcare if both parents work, and usually have cars even if they are old and beat-up.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Very true. I paid off $80k in student loans in 6 years and vowed that my kids would not suffer that kind of debt for a college education,
WE can thank the Government for the student loan crisis.

They flood the market with loans then Universities have a green light to raise tution at incredible rates.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
It's one thing to lend on a modest home that will appreciate over the long term. Your grandfather handled his finances differently than the average American these days. Now days people lend on EVERYTHING.

Average home size in 50's: 983 square feet
in the 2000's: 2300 square feet
More than double.
I had to reference family to get the details...

OK, so he didn't pay cash outright.

House was built in 1953 he purchased it in 1960 for $11,000. The loan was taken out against $4500. So he put down $6500. The house was 1896 sq ft.

My grandparents mortgage was $31 a month LOL

Quote:
WE can thank the Government for the student loan crisis.

They flood the market with loans then Universities have a green light to raise tution at incredible rates.
I think you have the cause and effect mixed up. Tuition rates go up, and then student loan amounts have to go up accordingly.

I am sure you are of the type that if someone is working at Walmart, you would say that's their fault for not bettering themselves, they should go and get an education, so are you against student loans or something?

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by significant income, but your average working person or even working poor, have to live somewhere, so they are either renting or own a home, are paying for childcare if both parents work, and usually have cars even if they are old and beat-up.
Well I have been fortunate enough to live in affluent areas.

So the ones I see that live paycheck to paycheck are the ones I described earlier in the thread.

Some are as you describe but too many of that 76% are living the highlife when they should be more prudent.

My neighbor- divorced, twins going to college in the next few years, home in forclosure, Drives a convertible Bmer.

Give me a break.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I think you have the cause and effect mixed up. Tuition rates go up, and then student loan amounts have to go up accordingly.

I am sure you are of the type that if someone is working at Walmart, you would say that's their fault for not bettering themselves, they should go and get an education, so are you against student loans or something?
HA- I have many thousands in SLs.

Your first sentance is completely inaccurate. In fact with Universities are beginning to realize student loans are becoming more of a risk we are now beginning to see less enrollment so tuition maybe starting to deflate.

Last edited by BoomBen; 06-25-2013 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well I have been fortunate enough to live in affluent areas.

So the ones I see that live paycheck to paycheck are the ones I described earlier in the thread.

Some are as you describe but too many of that 76% are living the highlife when they should be more prudent.

My neighbor- divorced, twins going to college in the next few years, home in forclosure, Drives a convertible Bmer.

Give me a break.
Well if you live in an affluent area, you are not likely to see the people who are living paycheck-to-paycheck. Since affluent would mean at least in the top 10 %.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Well if you live in an affluent area, you are not likely to see the people who are living paycheck-to-paycheck. Since affluent would mean at least in the top 10 %.
You are obviously not understanding the concept so I can no longer converse with (educate) you.

Thank you for trying though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies