Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Not to mention helping your kids go to college. There is no way an average middle-class family is going to have a lot left over if they have kids in college.
The Average Joes did not even consider such a thing, 50 years ago.

Parents have a choice to help fund college or not. Every financial advisor worth their salt will tell you that your own safety net and retirement come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post

My neighbor- divorced, twins going to college in the next few years, home in forclosure, Drives a convertible Bmer.

Give me a break.
I have a similar neighbor. Instead of paying the mortgage and property taxes, the money pays for the kid's out of state tuition and room and board- $75K a year. Attorney figures she will need to move just about the time kiddo finishes school. They could not deny their kid the opportunity to attend a top school.

I sometimes wonder if the kid realizes he will likely have to support his parents in 15 years.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Well if you live in an affluent area, you are not likely to see the people who are living paycheck-to-paycheck. Since affluent would mean at least in the top 10 %.
There is a tendency for many people to spend more than they earn, regardless of how much or little they earn.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
A whole TV series is devoted to Americans who HOARD crap. They can't control themselves from compulsive buying and accumulating stuff.
Yes indeed and it's all crap.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I wonder how many of that 76% did to themselves with their spending habits.
oooo ahhhhh I need that wide screen TV
Ohhhh I need that new dodge charger.
Ahhhhh we need a swimming pool.
Keeping up with the Jones's is expensive.
I am more inclined to think Starbucks, $65 dinners for 4 at Red Robin, cable, phones and pads and nooks and crannies. The so called nickel and dime stuff adds up.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Again, you are oversimplifying it. Buying a TV and buying a home are not on equal footing....especially the subprime shakedown.

How do you know who was buying what house and what size house they were buying?

I know a few people who personally were foreclosed on and not one of them tried to go into anything too extravagant. People I know very well personally and would never think that they bit off more than they could chew. Not saying these people don't exist...but it's not fair to make umbrella statements like that.

it's also not even about people who couldn't make the payments...what about the person who bought the house for 300,000 and woke up the next day and their house market value was 1/2 of that and they are stuck in an upside down mortgage?

Would you want a mortgage, being slammed with 4-5 points, if it's value took a nosedive like that? Maybe you would eat it but for the person who CAN make those payments but by the skin of their teeth....it's a bitter pill to swallow.
I am not oversimplifying anything. It isn't hard at all to read the terms of a loan. Do you know what 'subprime' means? That means people with low quality credit (who had no business buying a home) went out and actually bought a house. The housing market corrected itself to to true value. That means if a person bought a house for $300,000 and it lost half its value, the true value of that house was only $150,000. That person should have actually done their homework and bought a cheaper house in the first place. Personally? I bought a house that was less than half of the amount I qualified to borrow and I didn't lose any value in the crash. You know why? Because I did my homework before signing the mortgage.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am not oversimplifying anything. It isn't hard at all to read the terms of a loan. Do you know what 'subprime' means? That means people with low quality credit (who had no business buying a home) went out and actually bought a house. The housing market corrected itself to to true value. That means if a person bought a house for $300,000 and it lost half its value, the true value of that house was only $150,000. That person should have actually done their homework and bought a cheaper house in the first place. Personally? I bought a house that was less than half of the amount I qualified to borrow and I didn't lose any value in the crash. You know why? Because I did my homework before signing the mortgage.
Yes, I am totally aware of what subprime means...

Why would you champion one phenomenon (banks making bets on peoples lives with odds stacked in their favor)

as opposed to a peasant making a gamble with the odds stacked against them when all they want is their little niche in life...

The bank just wants to drain the last bit of blood out of WHOEVER.

It's really puzzling the double standard here. Yes, I understand this wouldn't be an issue if people simply refused the apple....but isn't this a fundamental lesson on the human condition?

There is nothing wrong with a LITTLE empathy.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I guess the thread title means that 22% of the American people are not making it from paycheck to paycheck and are just running up more debt. The remaining 2% are making all the loans and reaping all the profits.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Average Joes did not even consider such a thing, 50 years ago.

Parents have a choice to help fund college or not. Every financial advisor worth their salt will tell you that your own safety net and retirement come first.
Totally agree. But the propaganda about student loans is pretty thick and heavy.
"Everyone can go to college and Uncle Sam will pay your way."

You know what ? Stay at home and go to the CC. Take only classes you can afford to pay for.
Get a p/t job and apply for scholarships and/or pell grant.

So it takes longer than 4 years. Not like there's lots of jobs out there that you need to be rushed.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Totally agree. But the propaganda about student loans is pretty thick and heavy.
"Everyone can go to college and Uncle Sam will pay your way."

You know what ? Stay at home and go to the CC. Take only classes you can afford to pay for.
Get a p/t job and apply for scholarships and/or pell grant.

So it takes longer than 4 years. Not like there's lots of jobs out there that you need to be rushed.
That's a tough line to tow to a generation whose desire for instant gratification has increased exponentially over the last 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies