Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:05 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
"Even more disappointing; The savings rates have barely changed over the past three years, even though a larger percentage of consumers report an increase in job security, a higher net worth and an overall better financial situation."

Link to story:
76% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck - Jun. 24, 2013

Why aren't Americans saving more?

Is it possible that with all the safety nets available, there is no need to fear something not going to plan?
As far as safety nets,me personally,I'm not putting anything into a retirement account.
That's what Social Security is for.
Besides,its not like I have anything to put in a retirement account after monthly expenses anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
As far as safety nets,me personally,I'm not putting anything into a retirement account.
That's what Social Security is for.
Besides,its not like I have anything to put in a retirement account after monthly expenses anyway
SS was passed as a SUPPLEMENTAL source of income for retirees.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And now people count on it. I'm shocked.

Who cares anyway, we'll just blow all of our money on useless crap and stick it to the next generation. It's the American way!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Prove it.
I thought it was supposed to be retirement income?

What's the point of them taking money out of my paycheck for something that's supposed to be supplemental?

Something isn't making sense....my employer doesn't offer a retirement plan.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And now people count on it. I'm shocked.

Who cares anyway, we'll just blow all of our money on useless crap and stick it to the next generation. It's the American way!
Not me. I've got enough saved to fund a quality lifestyle through my retirement years. As for others, if they wish to be frivilous, I'm not responsible for them. They may simply need to work extensively past the normal retirement age..just to scrape by.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Not me. I've got enough saved to fund a quality lifestyle through my retirement years. As for others, if they wish to be frivilous, I'm not responsible for them. They may simply need to work extensively past the normal retirement age..just to scrape by.
Im fairly young,but there is nothing nowadays to save.
I can't understand the older generation. You guys had it so much easier than we do.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:

Quote:
Prove it.

What's the point of them taking money out of my paycheck for something that's supposed to be supplemental?

Look it up. It's pretty much common knowledge. Social security was never in any way intended to be a retirement plan.

Quote:
Im fairly young,but there is nothing nowadays to save.
I can't understand the older generation. You guys had it so much easier than we do.
Poor you. Somehow I manage to do it.

Man, this country is screwed.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Prove it.

Because added to a 401k, it provides a far more sound plan for retirement than either would individually.

A 401k, quite common, is largely employer financed, with most contributing at least 3-4% when an employee contributes 6%. The 6% , by the way, LOWERS your taxes, so if you pay 25% in taxes, 6% costs you 4.5%. But you get an impact of 9-10% (your 6%,PLUS employers 3-4%, for your 4.5% cost).

Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Because added to a 401k, it provides a far more sound plan for retirement than either would individually.

A 401k, quite common, is largely employer financed, with most contributing at least 3-4% when an employee contributes 6%. The 6% , by the way, LOWERS your taxes, so if you pay 25% in taxes, 6% costs you 4.5%. But you get an impact of 9-10% (your 6%,PLUS employers 3-4%, for your 4.5% cost).
Where have you been the last 10 years?
Employers have been doing away with contributing to retirement accounts.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Where have you been the last 10 years?
Employers have been doing away with contributing to retirement accounts.
Pensions have declined-401k are incredibly common. Employers usually match contributions by employees. Mine puts in 2% gross-automatically, with 3% on my first 3%, 1% more on my next 2%.

So 5% per tax, which costs me 3.5% or so post tax, gets me 11%. My 5%, employers 2% even if I contribute squat, plus 4% employer match on my 5%.

3.5% gets me 11%. Ca-ching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies