Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:39 PM

233 posts, read 239,101 times

Advertisements

The Irrationality of Giving Up This Much Liberty to Fight Terror - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

Number of Americans killed by terrorist attacks 1999-2010 3,000
Number of Americans killed by guns 1999-2010 364,000

The fact that I hear so many on the right say "we have to allow the government to spy", in spite of the 4th amendment to remain safe, yet then hear them claim gun control is unconstitutional show they cherry pick the constitution. Far more Americans are killed by guns than terror attacks. So if we use number of Americans killed as a priority, would it not be logical to start with gun control?

For the record I am not for diminished 2nd or 4th amendments. They were put there for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Who you kidding? Most libs wouldn't know the constitution if it bit them on the arse.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
Conservatives are hypocrites on the constitution
In other news, the sun is bright and ice cream tastes good.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
The Irrationality of Giving Up This Much Liberty to Fight Terror - Conor Friedersdorf - The Atlantic

The fact that I hear so many on the right say "we have to allow the government to spy", in spite of the 4th amendment to remain safe, yet then hear them claim gun control is unconstitutional show they cherry pick the constitution. Far more Americans are killed by guns than terror attacks. So if we use number of Americans killed as a priority, would it not be logical to start with gun control?

For the record I am not for diminished 2nd or 4th amendments. They were put there for a reason.
First of all - why are you targeting conservatives in your post? Do you think conservatives as a group somehow support the NSA spying? I don't think they do. I am appalled by the intrusions into our lives. It shocks me more than just a bit how Congress defends it - both Dems and Repubs.

I disagree with a key point made by that author. I don't actually believe Americans are crazy afraid of terrorism. The media (of which he is a part) hype Americans fear. I don't look over my shoulder for terrorists. I figure an earthquake would be more likely to hurt me on a visit to California.

The attempts to compare cause of deaths routinely fail to include lifestyle choices - such as cigarettes, obesity, etc. All of those kinds of things cause vastly more people to die than firearms or terrorists. Even in the firearm category - people react to mass shootings - but they are rare. I honestly do not believe suicides should be included when talking about deaths by firearms. Suicides are not a threat to me or my family because they are self induced. Not from anyone else.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:

I'm as "right wing" as they come and I was against the Patriot Act under Bush and I against the NSA spying on me now.

Where have you heard someone on the right saying this? Based on most of the gun threads here, the "right wing nut jobs" have a huge distrust of the government.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:59 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,266 times
Just on the constitution? In a recent thread a guy is for the abortion all gay babies.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM

233 posts, read 239,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
First of all - why are you targeting conservatives in your post? Do you think conservatives as a group somehow support the NSA spying? I don't think they do. I am appalled by the intrusions into our lives. It shocks me more than just a bit how Congress defends it - both Dems and Repubs.

I disagree with a key point made by that author. I don't actually believe Americans are crazy afraid of terrorism. The media (of which he is a part) hype Americans fear. I don't look over my shoulder for terrorists. I figure an earthquake would be more likely to hurt me on a visit to California.

The attempts to compare cause of deaths routinely fail to include lifestyle choices - such as cigarettes, obesity, etc. All of those kinds of things cause vastly more people to die than firearms or terrorists. Even in the firearm category - people react to mass shootings - but they are rare. I honestly do not believe suicides should be included when talking about deaths by firearms. Suicides are not a threat to me or my family because they are self induced. Not from anyone else.
I think because it is conservatives who cite the constitution. You can not compare suicide, obesity, cigarettes which are self induced. Guns and terrorism issue is talking about them killing of Americans not by choice.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times
Quote:

This is nothing new. So called conservatives also routinely take a dump on the 1st amendment when it comes to things like separation of church and state, "obscenity", and numerous other things that get their panties in a bunch. This is why I've supported the Libertarian party for over 25 years. While Libertarian's are not perfect, at least they're consistent in their beliefs.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 06-28-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Hardliners from both sides are like bible bangers, they pick and choose chapter and verse and disregard what is inconvenient to their rhetoric.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Who you kidding? Most libs wouldn't know the constitution if it bit them on the arse.
You apparently are doing a fine job of kidding yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies