Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
She should have been fired long ago...for peddling that awful garbage as food. No wonder she has diabetes.

You do understand even vegetarians/vegans and those who eat healthy 99% of the time can and do develope diabetes right? It is not only food that contributes but family history and one's own individual body as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I didn't read all ten pages of this thread but it should be noted that Paula Deen is a liberal. She's on record for her support of Democrat candidates. So, if the liberals are the ones vilifying her (and from what I've seen, that does seem to be the case), then they are vilifying one of their own. So why is that? I've seen liberals give plenty of passes to their fellow liberals (Alec Baldwin anyone??). So why not to Paula Deen?
From the lawsuit, it looks like unlike many restaurants today that employ only the cheapest illegals, they actually provided jobs and hired many black Americans.

Bubba seems like he was kind of a jerk, told a lot of nasty jokes and wanted to hire Hooter girls. In the allegations, the plaintiff slams Paula Deen for saying something about they needed to work together, to become like one --- in that case, I wonder how much I could sue my boss for as he's always saying something similar.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It's about bullying a hard-working Southern lady. That is all right because it is all right for everybody to trash anything Southern.
I was watching one of Paula's shows on Food Network awhile back. I forget what she was making at the time, but I do remember she took that food item into her mouth and then made a sexual comment about it and laughed. I couldn't believe she got away with that on the show. And this has happened on more than one occasion. Children watch cooking shows also, some are big fans. Seems to me the Food Network approved of her show content at the time.

This isn't about being Southern. It's about whether something is appropriate or not. Sexual remarks and gestures, racial slurs, bullying, etc. are not to be tolerated in a work environment or anywhere else.

Do I think she should lose everything, no I don't. But this should be a big wake-up call to her. I think I would fire her PR team and her brother Bubba for starters. Then she and her new team should embark on some sensitivity training etc. to begin with.

As far as her sponsors, I think most were chickens and hypocrites. But it is all about money for them, so Paula got the boot. Now she has to pull-up her big girl pants and clean her house. She'll be OK.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
From the lawsuit, it looks like unlike many restaurants today that employ only the cheapest illegals, they actually provided jobs and hired many black Americans.

Bubba seems like he was kind of a jerk, told a lot of nasty jokes and wanted to hire Hooter girls. In the allegations, the plaintiff slams Paula Deen for saying something about they needed to work together, to become like one --- in that case, I wonder how much I could sue my boss for as he's always saying something similar.
Oh, the brother seems like a class A jerk. What's that saying? You can't pick your family. I think Paula should have been proactive about her brother's behavior. However, that's not what the media is concentrating on though. They instead are using the deposition she gave to concentrate on her use of one word. While there may have been other incidents (including her unwillingness to reign in her brother), the vilification of Paula Deen has less to do with this particular lawsuit and everything to do with her language from 30 years ago.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Oh, the brother seems like a class A jerk. What's that saying? You can't pick your family. I think Paula should have been proactive about her brother's behavior. However, that's not what the media is concentrating on though. They instead are using the deposition she gave to concentrate on her use of one word. While there may have been other incidents (including her unwillingness to reign in her brother), the vilification of Paula Deen has less to do with this particular lawsuit and everything to do with her language from 30 years ago.
There's so much more than just the deposition. Those of you that are defending her are really ignoring a lot of her past.

You don't dump a money maker like Deen unless you have a damned good reason.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
There's so much more than just the deposition. Those of you that are defending her are really ignoring a lot of her past.

You don't dump a money maker like Deen unless you have a damned good reason.
Then those sponsors would best serve themselves if they said that. Otherwise. the outpouring of support for her will continue.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It's about bullying a hard-working Southern lady. That is all right because it is all right for everybody to trash anything Southern.

This country used to have freedom of speech. What I am hearing lately sounds like communism where everybody is afraid to say anything. I remember a time when we said, "I don't agree with you but I will defend to the death your right to say it." That means that you will tolerate something you absolutely despise because we are a free country and everybody has a right to be themselves.

Equality means that everybody has a right to have their own opinion but we no longer have equality when only some people get to decide what is right or wrong. If you believe in Christian values and not for murdering babies and weird marriages you are a bigot. Now that is a word I would like to see banned and let's add racism to that. I am so tired of both of them; but I am also for free speech so you can all keep spouting those hateful words and I will keep tolerating them.

I will say what I please, when I please to whomever I please and you can learn to live with it or blow it out your ear.

The next thing that will come from the way we are headed is that people will be put in prison for saying their piece. We already had a hate crimes law that is unconstitutional because our constitution assures us that political opinions will never be connected to the punishment of crimes. All crimes are hate crimes so why should one person punching someone in the face be punished more than someone else punching someone in the face? There is no reason according to the constitution but it is being ignored lately.

No it is not just about one word. It is about some people trying to control other people when according to our constitution they don't have a right to do so.
I suggest you write a letter to her corporate sponsors sharing your indignation. I don't have a dog in this fight.

Oh and thanks for the Reps.

Last edited by Ringo1; 06-29-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Then those sponsors would best serve themselves if they said that. Otherwise. the outpouring of support for her will continue.
What does the outpouring of support have to do with anything? Do you seriously thing it was the intention of advertisers to ruin her life? It's a business decision, plain and simple.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I think it's got a whole lot more to do with her wealth -- it seems that she's built up a pretty good money-making empire. In fact, I'm trying to think up something to sue her for myself.

She's not only a hated southerner, she's a wealthy southerner -- big hair and all. There really isn't much in the allegations that involve her directly -- but she's the one with the bank accounts, it's very clear the plaintiff smells the money.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
I don't think it's that at ALL. I think it's her reaction to whether or not she said the word 'OF COURSE!"; I think it's the whole plantation-themed wedding with black waiters; and the way she described her friend. "He's as black as that board"! She does need to grow up a bit.

Really, the one word, in my mind, is NOT why she was dumped so unceremoniously by her sponsors. It's her more recent actions AND her disastrous attempts at damage control. "I IS WHAT I IS". Come on.

That's my opinion. I'm not saying if they were correct in their actions or not. Only time will tell. The ONLY thing they care about is making money. Obviously, they were afraid for their pocketbook - for some reason. Normal, everyday people - were NOT out making a big deal about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies