Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,535 times

Advertisements

Concealed carry has been happening in Chicago already. It's just that it was only the criminals doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In theory, criminals should back down since there would be an increase in risk for partaking criminal activity since regular people can arm themselves. But they have had free reign for awhile and may not take kindly to citizens arming themselves. So there may be some gun battles (mayhem) in the early days of concealed carry. I hope not, but I won't be surprised if there are some battles.

And the media would them chime in about how terrible guns are.

We are talking Chicago here...
Keep in mind that on any given weekend you already have thousands of gang-bangers utilizing illegal concealed carry....so i highly doubt adding a few hundred law abiding CCers is going to change much one way or another.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Keep in mind that on any given weekend you already have thousands of gang-bangers utilizing illegal concealed carry....so i highly doubt adding a few hundred law abiding CCers is going to change much one way or another.
Except...

Now the gangbangers (and muggers and purse-snatchers etc.) will be aware that, somewhere in the crowd of people where they are considering doing their next robbery, there will probably be one or two people with a gun, where last year they could be sure there were NONE.

How many of those muggers and purse-snatcher will think twice now, knowing they will probably face a few guns from unknown directions?

How many crimes will now NOT get committed, because the crooks are worried about getting shot by an "innocent bystander", or even by their intended victim?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
I am guessing that CCW laws in Chicago will result in no depreciateble or associated decrease in crime reverse from current trends

a increase in accidents, friendly fire, suicides, etc. will be the only impact. . .

Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I am guessing that CCW laws in Chicago will result in no depreciateble or associated decrease in crime reverse from current trends

a increase in accidents, friendly fire, suicides, etc. will be the only impact. . .
Please show any statistics showing an increase in accidents where there is CCW.

There is no such thing as friendly fire. If a CCW holder shoots someone they did not mean to that is negligence. When you are preparing for a shot you must clearly identify your target as well as everything behind it.

I'm very much pro-choice for any adult that wants to remove themselves from the gene pool. Once you are 18 you should be free to do whatever you please as long as it does not impact the rights of another.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Concealed Carry Comming to Chicago

Long overdue.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:

Concealed carry, which has nothing to do with legal ownership of firearms in a home, has nothing to do with any of the things you listed.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Please show any statistics showing an increase in accidents where there is CCW.

There is no such thing as friendly fire. If a CCW holder shoots someone they did not mean to that is negligence. When you are preparing for a shot you must clearly identify your target as well as everything behind it.

I'm very much pro-choice for any adult that wants to remove themselves from the gene pool. Once you are 18 you should be free to do whatever you please as long as it does not impact the rights of another.

I said i'm betting on the result based on the facts. I don't have to source my hypothetical analysis, only to track Chicago and see if the following increase

1) suicides
2) accidental shootings /friendly fire
3) spouse shooting events/domestic violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Concealed carry, which has nothing to do with legal ownership of firearms in a home, has nothing to do with any of the things you listed.

Though the above aren't linked to a specific law (CCW) but increased volume firearms have been linked to these increases (i.e. Montana). Therefore my assumption is that CCW may increase the number of firearms in circulation, and thus increases the chance of shootings that were not the intent society allowing these guns to be carried.

i..e more guns floating around, more chance of harm

Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
I said i'm betting on the result based on the facts. I don't have to source my hypothetical analysis, only to track Chicago and see if the following increase

1) suicides
2) accidental shootings /friendly fire
3) spouse shooting events/domestic violence
It would be great to see some abusive husbands get what they deserve.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Except...

Now the gangbangers (and muggers and purse-snatchers etc.) will be aware that, somewhere in the crowd of people where they are considering doing their next robbery, there will probably be one or two people with a gun, where last year they could be sure there were NONE.
What? Do you understand how absolutely stupid this statement is? You realize this awareness was already there in the first place, right? If they're carrying, then doesn't it reason that someone else is too? Yes, it does. And it doesn't have to be your basic gangsta either. Don't tell me that Joe White from the suburbs wasn't packing his gun when he was going into Chicago. Please, if you naively believe that then I have a bridge to sell you. All you gun lovers have this irrational notion that only criminals (and criminals in your mind only refers to one thing: black gang bangers) carry. What a farce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies