Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
I agree that they won't beat up on Tracy. They have sooooo much going for them right now.

Whatever he says it will not favor the state. 200 whiteness to choose from, where do we start.
You never know about that. What is "200 whiteness" and what are you talking about?

Btw, I don't feel "safer" in Florida as a result of the SYG and I'm a woman. I feel much less safe. Don't what to be killed by road rage on the highway or by mistake when taking a walk. The Castle doctrine has been in effect for quite sometime.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The state did not attempt to give reasonable explanation that fits the facts of the case.

They just call GZ a liar and that's not good enough.
Yes, it is good enough. This case of self-defense relies on Zimmerman's statements that it was self-defense. Zimmerman's truthfulness is an issue. There are no video tapes nor even eye witnesses of the entire event. Only Zimmerman's word.

One more time. This trial is a result of there being "disputed facts" in this case. "Question of fact"........do you know what that means?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:20 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The 50' feet issue isn't the only damning incriminating evidene the prosecutor didn't use. I never heard them address the impossible direction of the blood flow from gz's head injuries, which defied all laws of physics. Nor did they bring up that there aren't any street-level windows in those apartments.

The three reasons I can think of are 1. the state is intentionally blowing the case, 2. they're waiting to drop those bombshells in the rebuttal part of the trial, or 3. they don't want to look more stupid than they already do. I go with 3, how about you ?
#4: None of it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
#4: None of it is true.
The body wasn't found approximately 50 feet from the T?

Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I believe to have a strong case the jury needs to have a pretty good idea of what happend.
And both the State and the Defense will put together the pieces of their cases (the testimony & physical evidence) in their closing arguments. Counsel cannot comment on the evidence/testimony to the jury during the evidence portion of the trial. ALL they can do is ask questions. Make objections and have legal arguments outside the presence of the Jury.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Over a year ago a distinguished law professor, a bona fide liberal who is most noted for his work with death row inmates wrote this article:

George Zimmerman Will Never Be Convicted of Murdering Trayvon Martin - The Daily Beast

Nothing has really changed in the last year.

From that link:

Quote:

So here is what the jury will learn: Zimmerman called police frequently to
report supposedly suspicious characters, and every time he called he was
suspicious about someone black. It will learn that a 911 tape records someone
shouting "Help!” right before Zimmerman fired the single fatal shot from
point-blank range. Some witnesses say the person screaming was Martin, some say
it was Zimmerman, and the FBI's analyst says the recording is too distorted to
tell. (Notably, the newly released documents reveal that when an investigator
spoke with Martin’s father, Tracy, and asked whether the screaming on the tape
was his son’s, he responded, “No.”)

The jury will also learn that the back of Zimmerman's shirt was wet, as if he
had been lying on his back in the wet grass; that he had apparently been struck
in the face, and that he was bleeding from a gash on the back of his head. It
will learn that police officers asked him at least three times whether he wanted
to go to the hospital—confirming contemporaneously that he had visible physical
injuries.

A second-year law student could identify enough doubt here to preclude a
criminal conviction. A superstar lawyer, which is what Zimmerman now has, could
get an acquittal in his sleep. Zimmerman's defense will be that he felt
threatened by Martin, that his fear was reasonable because Martin was hitting
him, and that he was therefore justified in firing. Florida’s lenient Stand Your
Ground law makes all of this close to a slam-dunk.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And it could also be his way to deal with something that could eat you up from the inside out couldn't it?
Or is it that everyone has to think,act and deal with things the exact same way? Kind of like some soldiers after they've had to kill.
Zimmerman has said he has no regrets, and would do nothing differently. Those aren't the words of someone who has remorse.

He's eaten up with fear that people will hurt him, and fear of the trial outcome.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Agree. My daughter lives in this same community (but on the next loop over) and they all basically know each other and who visits whom.

So when you have a stranger walking in a weird way in the neighborhood on a rainy night + a recent rash of burglaries = a bad combination and unfortunately a death resulted.
Except that most of the neighbours reported they had never seen and didn't know even George Zimmerman, who seemed to be quite active in the community.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:29 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,212,292 times
Default Conservative pundit Michael Savage on Zimmerman "You have to find this man guilty"

Savage on Zimmerman: Guilty [AUDIO] | The Daily Caller

Savage raises a very good point I've never even considered. Zimmerman approached Trayvon ready to shoot him. I agree with Savage, I don't think he intended to do it, but suspect he was ready to, even before the altercation.

Quote:
He didn’t intend to kill him, but he may as well have intended to kill him.”

Savage laid out his case, saying that the murder could have been avoided, but based on Zimmerman’s gun having a round in the chamber with the safety off, Zimmerman intended “to find some he could shoot or intimidate.”

“He wasn’t just carrying a gun, he wasn’t just a watch guy: He was hunting. He was looking, he was hoping to find someone he could shoot or intimidate with that loaded weapon, ladies and gentlemen of the Savage jury.”

Old 07-06-2013, 03:30 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Then let's see what the defense pathologist says.

IMO, you'd be taking a huge risk. I don't think dad does "fake" crying, but don't know. Yes, it's very easy for a jury to pick up on real emotions in a courtroom, so "fake crying" would not be advisable.

IMO, the most critical thing about the screaming on the tape is that it STOPPED immediately after the gunshot was heard. I think it's pretty easy to make the case that if someone were shot through the heart at "contact" range, they would no longer be able to scream and the screaming would immediately stop. However, not so easy to explain WHY after having shot someone and claiming that he didn't know he had hit his target, why the person with the gun would STOP screaming if he were the one screaming all along. If he didn't know he hit his target, wouldn't he still need help, and wouldn't he still have that adrenaline rush from "fear" required to scream like that for help, help, help?
I'd only be repeating the answer given many times to why gz would stop screaming when the shot was fired.

otoh, I haven't yet heard a plausible scenario for how it could be tm yelling for that long.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
George has killed someone before? Someone who was merely illuminating a garage door opener? Does the prosecution know about this?

This is exactly what people mean when they refer to gushing, overflowing emotions and not using a lick of common sense or facts.
You know, anger is really an emotion, too. Anger can come from having one's biases contradicted over and over again....."gushing, overflowing" anger/emotion in the form of sarcasm? Combine that with clear inability to read in context, and well, maybe that was George's problem that night.

Again, BEWARE of people who show little to no emotion. That's not normal. However, the denial of having emotions is quite common. George is showing little to no emotion at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies