Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,186,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That isn't an issue with the loan structure. It is an issue with poor planning on the state's part to ensure proper oversight so education isn't compromised.
I think the problem is college is seen as job training. Many people don't want an education. They just want job training. If you provide a "Pay it Forward" plan for job training in addition to academic study... then people actually have an option. With this proposal people are forced to choose college because it's more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,664,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think the problem is college is seen as job training. Many people don't want an education. They just want job training. If you provide a "Pay it Forward" plan for job training in addition to academic study... then people actually have an option. With this forced to choose college because it's more affordable.
That's not a bad idea.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,057,436 times
So what happens if the person gets a college degree at "no" cost and never gets a job? The people most likely to support this plan have no intentions of ever paying anything forward. What happens if they graduate and leave the state or country?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They offering free degrees in fields that have some of the highest unemployment and lowest paying jobs. Do you really think that's a sensible thing to do? Do you want to encourage even more people to go into those fields?

What happens when they can't find a job and end up working flipping burgers? Is that going to pay the costs of their education? Seems to me this doomed to failure.

The tuition is for ANY degree program offered at the state's public universities, not just those mentioned.

If they get a job flipping burgers, you're right, they won;t pay back as much as the person who makes $100,000. Maybe it'll work and maybe it won't, but IMO it's worth trying it. Taxpayers won't be footing the bill , so what are you so worried about? Actually taxpayers pay NOW when students take out loans and get jobs flipping burgers and then default on the loans, so this would be an improvement no matter what.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Academic study has always been about furthering academic, knowledge and research. That's why you spend majority of your time in your bachelors study assisting professors and PhD students with research. It's why you spend a significant amount of time submitting grant proposals and rebuttals to published work. It's why you spend a significant amount of time writing papers and preparing theses. Think about how much time was actual classroom work? 20-30% total?

Have you ever actually set foot in a university?

most students spend zero time assisting professors and PhD students with research. Virtually no one spends time submitting grant proposals - even graduate students don't do that for that most part. Submitting rebuttals to published work? Yeah right.

It's like you live in some alternate fantasy universe that is completely divorced from the college experience that virtually everyone who is currently alive had.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM

50,996 posts, read 36,683,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So what happens if the person gets a college degree at "no" cost and never gets a job? The people most likely to support this plan have no intentions of ever paying anything forward. What happens if they graduate and leave the state or country?
What would prevent someone from taking out $60,000 in student loans, never get a job and leave the country? Nothing. Why would they be MORE likely to do this if they didn't have tons of student debt? This makes no sense at all, I don't understand the fear I see here over trying anything new or innovative.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Exactly. If I were at PSU majoring in some fluffy nonsense, I'd support this plan too. If I were at one of the state's good schools majoring in something employable, I'd see this for what it is - an attempt at a huge giveaway to the bottom at the expense of those who are working hard.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
So what happens if the person gets a college degree at "no" cost and never gets a job?
Someone completing a degree program with no intention of using it is a very extreme case. There will have to be cushions built in for those extreme cases.
Quote:
The people most likely to support this plan have no intentions of ever paying anything forward.
There's nothing that points to your ill-founded opinion. College graduates are the highest employed and the highest motivated.
Quote:
What happens if they graduate and leave the state or country?
Well, leaving the state, it could be treated like any other debt. So that wouldn't be an issue. Leaving the country, it would be the same as if someone with a student loan leaves the country. It's an extreme case.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM

137 posts, read 136,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

most students spend zero time assisting professors and PhD students with research. Virtually no one spends time submitting grant proposals - even graduate students don't do that for that most part. Submitting rebuttals to published work? Yeah right.

It's like you live in some alternate fantasy universe that is completely divorced from the college experience that virtually everyone who is currently alive had.
NJBest went to Princeton. Just because you're okay with going to college to learn nothing (along with thousands of other people), doesn't mean everyone is.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Yes I have. I also teach at my alma mater. Did you attend one of these watered down schools where you just go to class like highschool? If so, congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies