Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times

Advertisements

'Pay It Forward' Plan In Oregon Would Make Tuition Free At State's Public Universities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
I heard about that, it makes me proud to be an Oregonian and it is a great gesture to the people of Oregon.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
What an awesome idea!!

I'm amazed at the number of developed countries that have figured out ways to make college tuition either free or low, and that the U.S. has gone in the other direction.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
How will they keep the tax money from going to students who drop out of college after their bachelors (or even before)? We already have an epidemic in higher education where the we are seeing the lowest numbers in terms of percentages of students that complete college.

Should the people of Oregon want to pay for the higher education of students through taxation; great for them. But it would be a shame if most of those students drop out of college at some point before finishing.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What an awesome idea!!

I'm amazed at the number of developed countries that have figured out ways to make college tuition either free or low, and that the U.S. has gone in the other direction.
We have made college tuition free or low. Those who go to Princeton, Cooper Union, etc. will see the same level of competition in those other developed countries you speak of and will realize the same level of affordable tuition rates.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
But the state Legislature this week approved an idea that might ease the economic dread for future philosophy and art history majors.

If the plan does take effect, it would provide some relief to students who are unable to translate their degree into a decent-paying job.
Are you kidding me? I don't think we should e encouraging students to go into fields where they can't make a living... just saying....

Old 07-07-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How will they keep the tax money from going to students who drop out of college after their bachelors (or even before)? We already have an epidemic in higher education where the we are seeing the lowest numbers in terms of percentages of students that complete college.

Should the people of Oregon want to pay for the higher education of students through taxation; great for them. But it would be a shame if most of those students drop out of college at some point before finishing.
It's not a tax when the only people paying it are the ones who have already received an education.

Yes, those students would get the free tuition, but I would think they will still pay forward, since that's the idea.

If there's any logic to this, those students would pay an adjusted percentage. So instead of 3 %, someone who dropped out after 1 year would only pay .75 % of their income back under this system.

Maybe someone who dropped out after 1 month, might be excused or something like that.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Are you kidding me? I don't think we should e encouraging students to go into fields where they can't make a living... just saying....
I don't think this "pay forward" plan is going to determine the major or career someone chooses.

No one is going to pick Philosophy to study simply because they may then have to pay forward less than an Engineering major.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
It's not a tax when the only people paying it are the ones who have already received an education.
They offering free degrees in fields that have some of the highest unemployment and lowest paying jobs. Do you really think that's a sensible thing to do? Do you want to encourage even more people to go into those fields?

What happens when they can't find a job and end up working flipping burgers? Is that going to pay the costs of their education? Seems to me this doomed to failure.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I don't think this "pay forward" plan is going to determine the major or career someone chooses.

No one is going to pick Philosophy to study simply because they may then have to pay forward less than an Engineering major.
I'm just going by what the article says, it's specifically mentions those fields and I quote .

Quote:
unable to translate their degree into a decent-paying job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies