Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM

151 posts, read 404,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
We don't want them to control any group or anything.

The whole point of lmited government is to have to least amont of control in people's lives..so I don't know what that guy was talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The founding fathers weren't particularly in favor of limited govt. They drafted and signed the Constitution, and then rather forcefully raised taxes. There were people on both sides of increasing and decreasing govt control since the beginning, but only in the last few decades has much come of it. Libertarianism as we know it, as a significant part of the political process, is quite modern.
They raised the liquor tax!

We didn't have a federal income tax until the Civil War. That tax was supposed to be lifted after the war was paid for. Just like today, politicians realized they could methodically raise taxes, for any handy reason, and the people couldn't do squat about it.

WE are now taxed and regulated far more than we were under England.

As for the other poster saying "this is the 21st century"

A perfect constitution under a limited government is timeless. The rights they laid down 200 years ago will be just as timely in 1000 years. Only buffoons would give up their rights for the promise of safety, and justify it with a progressive mirage.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Exactly, when a person uses a phrase like "small government", "Constitutionalist", etc. it just lets me know that I should ignore the next few minutes of noise that comes out of their mouth.
Don't worry, you'll never ever hear that from a Democrat.

You'll hear it from a republican, because they at least recognize what is right, even if they don't do it.

I'm a Libertarian, and don't trust 85% of the politicians, from any level. My Mayor owns the largest tow service in my city, and he (and the police) swindled me out of $500 when one of my vehicles was vandalized. They needed to tow it in to investigate, then stuck me with a bunch of fees. Added insult to injury.

It takes a thief to be a politician these days.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

We didn't have a federal income tax until the Civil War. That tax was supposed to be lifted after the war was paid for. Just like today, politicians realized they could methodically raise taxes, for any handy reason, and the people couldn't do squat about it.

A perfect constitution under a limited government is timeless. The rights they laid down 200 years ago will be just as timely in 1000 years. Only buffoons would give up their rights for the promise of safety, and justify it with a progressive mirage.
Did our founding fathers also have the internet on their smart phones? The point is, they had no idea what the future would hold for the country they were creating, nor did they have any idea where technology would go in the world.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
One of the most important aspects of the Revolution and the foundng father's beliefs were LIMITED GOVERNMENT. However, I talk to folks today and it seems like they love more laws, more regulations, more creation of federal departments and they want government to have a hand in everythinf possible.

So I have two questions:

1) Why have attitudes changed so vastly in the last 20 to 30 years?

And

2) When you take away everything America stands for in the name of "safety'" then what are we really trying to protect ourselves against? Because we have robbed ourselves of everything we have ever stood for.

- A Libertarian
Has nothing to do with what Americans want.

Americans aren't the ones pulling the strings.

Look at what is being spent on lobbying.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Don't worry, you'll never ever hear that from a Democrat.

You'll hear it from a republican, because they at least recognize what is right, even if they don't do it.

I'm a Libertarian, and don't trust 85% of the politicians, from any level. My Mayor owns the largest tow service in my city, and he (and the police) swindled me out of $500 when one of my vehicles was vandalized. They needed to tow it in to investigate, then stuck me with a bunch of fees. Added insult to injury.

It takes a thief to be a politician these days.
You mean the same Republicans that turn around and support big government programs, right after telling you they are all for small government?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
One of the most important aspects of the Revolution and the foundng father's beliefs were LIMITED GOVERNMENT. However, I talk to folks today and it seems like they love more laws, more regulations, more creation of federal departments and they want government to have a hand in everythinf possible.

Lincoln started us down this path, and FDR accelerated it. Yes, we have a nanny state and it will never stop until the entire society implodes.

There are no forces at work resisting the growth of our bloated nanny state. And once people realize that it is easier to suck on the government tit than to be responsible for your own future, they will never stop demanding more government benefits.

Who knows what the "Atlas Shrugged" tipping point is? Nobody. But we know our current path cannot last forever.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You mean the same Republicans that turn around and support big government programs, right after telling you they are all for small government?
Republicans do not want small government. They just want smaller government than Democrats. But both want a HUGE bloated government.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Republicans do not want small government. They just want smaller government than Democrats. But both want a HUGE bloated government.
Quote:
From a purely statistical standpoint, the growth of entitlement spending over the past half-century has been distinctly greater under Republican administrations than Democratic ones. Between 1960 and 2010, the growth of entitlement spending was exponential, but in any given year, it was on the whole roughly 8% higher if the president happened to be a Republican rather than a Democrat.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:

Sadly that is who they are letting into this nation, or reward via the welfare system, when you factor in a failed public school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies