Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

Simple economics.

The GOP mantra of "tax cuts/trickle-down/deregulation" is the only thing they pass off as "limited government" and it's been a complete failure, bringing on the current Great Recession. In addition, it has gutted the middle class and funneled far too much of the nation's wealth to the already superwealthy.

Working families took awhile to notice, but now that they have, they ain't real happy with the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What happened was that "the people" learned that they could vote themselves a handout from the treasury. We will never recover.
Not really.

What actually happened is that (1) capitalism in an age of globalism left the middle class increasingly hollowed out and without stable job opportunities, (2) people lived much longer and needed some security in their old age when corporations decided to stop doing it, and (3) America pursued a policy of conducting global warfare for decades on end.

If there were decently-paying jobs for people other than the top few percent of educated white-collar workers, a lot of this would take care of itself. But there aren't, and it seems that neither Republicans nor Democrats nor private industry can produce them.

We should have been more careful about the effects of globalization on our job structure instead of flinging the door wide open and then watching all of the jobs that upheld society move off to China and India.

This is a much more pervasive issue than partisan Republican vs. Democrat haggling du jour. Saying "it's all the Democrats' fault" or "it's all the Republicans' fault" is a lemming mentality that basically argues about reordering deck chairs on the Titanic.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 19,668 times
It is as simple as government spending more than it earns. I think we are entering the beginning of an era where the politics of this issue will not matter. Dems say we must have program "xyz" and spend more and Repubs hold the line on cutting taxes. Neither side will be able to do either very soon. It is truly a shame how complacent we have become as Americans.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:11 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
There are two important functions of the government that are often incompatible: ensuring the welfare of the people and assisting the economy. Since Reagan, we have swung to the latter, and it has neither helped the economy or the welfare of the (non-rich) people.

Time to try a different approach? I'm not talking about expanding welfare, I'm talking about not giving special treatment to the rich and waiting for the money to seep downwards.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
What is limited government? What don't you want the government to do?

I like the idea that the government makes sure companies don't pollute the air and water. I like the idea that the government inspects meats, vegetables and other foods. I like the idea that the government protects workers from unfair labor practices. I like the idea that the government comes to aid when there is a natural disaster. I like the idea that the government has a system that provides medical insurance for seniors who wouldn't get it in the open market. I like the idea that the government assists the most needy among us.

Again, what don't you want the government to do?

Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
There are two important functions of the government that are often incompatible: ensuring the welfare of the people and assisting the economy. Since Reagan, we have swung to the latter, and it has neither helped the economy or the welfare of the (non-rich) people.

Time to try a different approach? I'm not talking about expanding welfare, I'm talking about not giving special treatment to the rich and waiting for the money to seep downwards.
I must take exception to those two choices. It's not "nsuring the welfare of the people and assisting the economy." It's helping the bulk of the public or helping those at the top.

Since Reagan sold the idea that helping those at the top would help everyone, we have seen a dramatic increase in income inequality without any gains for the middle class. The idea was a failure that only serves those at the top.

The New Deal increased the size of the middle class and also aided the economy.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Default Why has American's attitudes towards Limited Government changed?

I'm just speculating here. But the party that keeps trumpeting the term "limited government" is the same party that wants the government in people's bedrooms and women's panties. That same party wants to inject a particular religious myth into the public school science curriculum. That party's track record with "limited government" was focused on giving the overprivileged investing class an even larger slice of the economic pie.

Some find it puzzling that their agenda no longer sells like hotcakes.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I'm just speculating here. But the party that keeps trumpeting the term "limited government" is the same party that wants the government in people's bedrooms and women's panties. That same party wants to inject a particular religious myth into the public school science curriculum. That party's track record with "limited government" was focused on giving the overprivileged investing class an even larger slice of the economic pie.

Some find it puzzling that their agenda no longer sells like hotcakes.
The same party also advocates limiting choice of foods to food stamp receipients; restricting a woman's reproductive choices; etc.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:46 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Simple economics.

The GOP mantra of "tax cuts/trickle-down/deregulation" is the only thing they pass off as "limited government" and it's been a complete failure, bringing on the current Great Recession. In addition, it has gutted the middle class and funneled far too much of the nation's wealth to the already superwealthy.

Working families took awhile to notice, but now that they have, they ain't real happy with the scene.
So the government forcing banks to give loans to people who could not afford them did not cause it? wow

Old 10-07-2013, 02:47 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The same party also advocates limiting choice of foods to food stamp receipients; restricting a woman's reproductive choices; etc.
hey you dont want to be told what to do, fine, dont take MY money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies