Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times

Advertisements

Some of the bill is fine: restricting abortions to 20 weeks, requiring the doctor to have admitting privileges. Other parts of the bill don't make sense, or at least maybe they have been misreported. Why set specific times and places for an abortion pill? Why does a woman need to be in a surgical center for a drug-induced abortion at 4 weeks? Some of the bill doesn't make much sense.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The 20 weeks is one issue but causing these clinics to close is also the issue. Like you indicated they have not addressed the root causes, closing these clinics solves nothing and impacts services to people that are least able tto find alternatives. Abortion will continue in a more dangerous method and these people have lost services, a great victory.
The Texas GOP continues their war on women.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I don't know what people are expecting here, but this bill is going to pass the Texas Senate. It's already passed the Texas House ..... pretty much the same as the last time. The only difference is the timing - Wendy Davis is not going to be doing any Grandstanding Filibuster. There are crowds, but the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is not going to allow any riot or out of control crowds.

There are 10-11 other States that have already passed the 20 week (5 and 1/2 month) strict regulations on Abortions ...... oddly, there were not all these out of control protests during the votes in these other States. I guess folks in other States don't feel comfortable about protesting for Late Term Abortions and Gosnell type clinics.

It's probably not going to work to do so in Texas.
You should know better that 24 weeks is not a "late term" abortion and that Gosnell's clinic was his and not any other clinic. I rermind you,[although you should know] Gosnell broke the law in Phillidelphia not Texas.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The Texas GOP continues their war on women.
They better do well in the white male category in 2014, no hope for carrying women and minorities.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,441 times
Texas Legislature had many reasons for passing this legislation.

One big glaring realization why this legislation is so important to the GOP. Rick Perry is planning a trip to Israel.

“We will be going to Israel to bring together Arabs, Christians and Jews in an education forum,”...Rick Perry. This has Presidential run all over it. Texas has to have this legislation as a Rick Perry talking point. Perry will tought the Abortion legislation in his Presidential bid.
Gov. Rick Perry plans Israel trip: 2016 tea leaves | Trail Blazers Blog

Follow the money.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Some of the bill is fine: restricting abortions to 20 weeks, requiring the doctor to have admitting privileges. Other parts of the bill don't make sense, or at least maybe they have been misreported. Why set specific times and places for an abortion pill? Why does a woman need to be in a surgical center for a drug-induced abortion at 4 weeks? Some of the bill doesn't make much sense.
Everything is done to make it more difficult to terminate a pregnancy. When the GOP has finished their extremely partisan agenda - Texas women will have to travel to another state. Not Ohio though. Or North Carolina; or Wisconsin.

I hope that women remember all this in 2016. I'm sure they will be reminded ~ many times.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Everything is done to make it more difficult to terminate a pregnancy. When the GOP has finished their extremely partisan agenda - Texas women will have to travel to another state. Not Ohio though. Or North Carolina; or Wisconsin.

I hope that women remember all this in 2016. I'm sure they will be reminded ~ many times.
I'm certain that a lot of Texas women will remember this legislation,...especially those who supported the law. If you followed the protests closely, you'd notice that those who were against abortion after 20 weeks outnumbered those who wanted abortions after 20 weeks.

Those who thwarted the vote in the first special session are getting what they deserve.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I'm certain that a lot of Texas women will remember this legislation,...especially those who supported the law. If you followed the protests closely, you'd notice that those who were against abortion after 20 weeks outnumbered those who wanted abortions after 20 weeks.

Those who thwarted the vote in the first special session are getting what they deserve.
For using the filibuster? That thing that Republicans have used . . . how many times in the past few years?

Give me a break.

The GOP will get what it deserves in the coming elections.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They better do well in the white male category in 2014, no hope for carrying women and minorities.
Hispanics are strong Catholics and many women believe in restricting late term abortions.

This is not a war on women. I'm pro-choice and believe we can prevent another Kermit Gosnell.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hispanics are strong Catholics and many women believe in restricting late term abortions.

This is not a war on women. I'm pro-choice and believe we can prevent another Kermit Gosnell.
There was far more to that bill than restricting late term abortion. It is a clear and insidious agenda to 'work around' Roe v Wade in order to make abortions more and more difficult to get.

It'll be like the good old days when only the very wealthiest of women could have themselves a discreet abortion while the rest of us went to the local butcher.

Women better get it together and open their eyes to what is going on before the next election cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies