Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's not right in EITHER case; just pointing out how urban blacks don't corner the market on the butchering of the English language. And it's "pick".

BTW, what is "sharecropper dialect"?
Yeah, you got me on the k, I guess I'm a hillbilly.

I actually pulled the phrase sharecropper dialect from an editorial written by an African American guy in Time or Newsweek a few years ago. He was criticizing inner city culture, and one of the things he was trying to understand was why blacks are still saying "y'all" when their families have been in Chicago and New York for 70 years.

I of course can play devils advocate and ask why Italian Americans who've been in Brooklyn since 1920 still revel in Italian slang, but I digress.

It's either bad to pick on other peoples ignorance, or it isn't, it shouldn't depend on what skin color they are, and in the US media
s case, there's a double standard.

Last edited by dman72; 07-16-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
About all I get out of it is travon liked the big girls.
Are you really that shallow, what does size have to do with friendship?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No matter what anyone's critique of this witness is, the girl spoke the truth. It's very clear to me that whatever else one might think of her, her testimony and conversation about what she heard was not contrived. The prosecution should have mapped out visually what Rachel Jeantel said she heard. She also displayed more class than Mr. West when she said that being a Christian, she could not say what she felt about him. That ice cream cone picture and that lame azz knock knock joke did not exactly depict a gentlemen. His daughter could also probably learn a lesson in decorum from Miss Jeantel.
you must've missed her comments about his daughters, something to the effect that "all blond people/women are stupid"

this is racial/ethnic discrimination and a prejudicial attitude. Where's the ****ing outrage at that?

and those idiots in the audience just laughed at these and other comments?

let's all get some signs and protest that.

all these black people talking about fairness, content of character, non-judging -- and this is the State's Star Witness?

and you people wonder why they lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Agreed. He should've asked her about that.

And what's with the gay rapist remark? I'm pretty sure its highly uncommon so what in the world made her think of that?

And all the accusations that Zimmerman profiled Trayvon because of skin color, Trayvon and Rachel both profiled as well. Yet the media and others make no mention of that.

see above.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Piers always puts an "R" on any idea. (Idear)

Extapolating, his name is properly pronounced, Pees.

Pees Morgan.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 AM

838 posts, read 922,481 times
Rachael J. did tell the truth on stand: She told Martin to run away from the crazy man chasing him (that's why Zimmerman was out of breath), Martin told her he had finally lost Zimmerman. Soon after, as Zimmerman caught up to Martin again, Martin asked him why was he following him and Zimmerman said what are you doing around here and at that very moment Rachael heard a thump and likely Martin was knocked down by Zimmerman. She heard Martin say "get off, get off", and sudenly Martin's phone went dead, by who? Sounds like Zimm. shut off phone. I think Zimmerman soon said "you are going to die tonight" and Martin desperately tried to get away while being pinned down with the threats and gun, that's why he hit Zimmerman. Zimmerman held him down, rolling over, and held his arms and by grabbing his shirt some have said. The calls for help in a loud clear normal voice were Martin's, these were prior to the high pitched desperate screams right before the shooting, these were also Martin's voice. Tom Owen, expert witness with 50 years experience as a voice expert said yells and screams were not Zimmermans. There will be real justice for Zimmerman sooner or later.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
She did tell the truth on stand: She told Trayvon to run away from the crazy man chasing him (that's why Zimmerman was out of breath), Trayvon told her he had finally lost Zimmerman. Soon after, as Zimmerman caught up to Trayvon again, Trayvon asked him why was he following him and Zimmerman said what are you doing around here and at that very moment Rachael heard a thump and likely Martin was knocked down by Zimmerman. She heard Martin say "get off, get off", and sudenly Martin's phone went dead, by who? Sounds like Zimm. shut off phone. I think Zimmerman soon said "you are going to die tonight" and Martin desperately tried to get away while being pinned down with the threats and gun, that's why he hit Zimmerman. Zimmerman held him down, rolling over, and held his arms and by grabbing his shirt some have said. The calls for help in a loud clear normal voice were Trayvon's, these were prior to the high pitched desperate screams right before the shooting, these were also Trayvon's voice. Tom Owen, expert witness with 50 years experience as a voice expert said yells and screams were not Zimmermans. There will be real justice for Zimmerman sooner or later.

Boy, you must have access to some surveillance camera that no one else does.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
Rachel Jeantel was an unmitigated disaster as the states star witness!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
This could be a turning point for her. Not the brush with fame and notoriety, but the chance to expand her horizons and move beyond the old life she's surrounded herself with. She's met new people and experienced pretty much a whole new world. If she's smart, she'll take advantage of it.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
This could be a turning point for her. Not the brush with fame and notoriety, but the chance to expand her horizons and move beyond the old life she's surrounded herself with. She's met new people and experienced pretty much a whole new world. If she's smart, she'll take advantage of it.
Or, she will go back to her pathetic life and build her character the right way and earn respect off merit.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
10 minutes and counting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies