Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They prep you on content. They can't "prep" verbs into your sentences.
Have to agree with HappyTexan on this one. There was no way to make her a star witness. No way. Prosecution should have known that.

This is not a comment on her personally - BUT, she was a complete disaster as a witness.

Not that I would be any great witness either . . . . .but I know some verbs.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,930 times
Is the Liberal Left going to jump on Jeantel's "profiling" of GZ as a "gay stalker"?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I refuse to acknowledge bad English. And I deplore the crappy schools that don't correct crappy English.

In the Navy we had several sailors who spoke like that. Bad news in a submarine since precise recital of orders is paramount to the proper operation of the boat.

We took them aside and stated that they improve their English or they would be disqualified from submarines. Most did. Others called us racist and within hours, they were on the beach.

Well, good for you.

IMO, "ebonics" is just another way to denigrate poor black people. Visit rural areas (or Appalachia) and see how "refined" they talk. What do you call that? Ebonics as well?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Is the Liberal Left going to jump on Jeantel's "profiling" of GZ as a "gay stalker"?
No. Because only profiling black people is wrong.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
There are plenty of stats that show educational attainment percentages, by race...do you want to see them?

Oh, sorry for wanting future generations to progress rather than lower the bar. LOL

Wow, you cannot make this stuff up....
What does that have to do with your statement re: eloquence?

And if you actually looked at the stats (without bias), you'd see that blacks have improved GREATLY in relation to when we were restricted from attended mainstream schools.

re: lowering the bar. So you think being old is an excuse? Does that mean you're playing the age card?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I tried to ignore most of this trial stuff and was mostly successful, but this young woman dominated the news for a few days, and some website had screenshots of her (now deleted) twitter feed. Anyone who gets drunk and high, then drives drunk, then tweets about how they're driving drunk while driving drunk is an awful human being, period.
Wait a second. Didn't she say that teens don't always mean what they say on social media. Sometimes they just boast about things. So she was probably just boasting about her behavior, not really doing it. You go girl !!!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly and she maybe moving on to college. Tom Joyner has promised to pay her schooling at a HBCU. Nice gesture but goes to show you how college is really watered down these days.
So what is your alternative? Deny her a college education to further limit her possible success in life?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I refuse to acknowledge bad English. And I deplore the crappy schools that don't correct crappy English.

In the Navy we had several sailors who spoke like that. Bad news in a submarine since precise recital of orders is paramount to the proper operation of the boat.

We took them aside and stated that they improve their English or they would be disqualified from submarines. Most did. Others called us racist and within hours, they were on the beach.
I doubt the young lady was looking for a job on a submarine. Who cares what manner of speaking is acceptable to you?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 AM

17,424 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Wait a second. Didn't she say that teens don't always mean what they say on social media. Sometimes they just boast about things. So she was probably just boasting about her behavior, not really doing it. You go girl !!!

You're wrong.

She said brag.

She also said Trayvon only got high twice a week. Like he should be commended.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Do you really have trouble telling the difference? Rachel and Trayvon did not grab a gun and go out looking for white people to harass. Whatever their prejudices, they did not act upon them resulting in the death of another as George did.
Actually, the fact that Martin called Zimmerman a "creepy ass cracka" means that he may in fact HAVE been acting upon his prejudices when he decided to confront him. Maybe if it was some "big crazy a** Ni**A", he would have thought twice about being a tough guy and just gone home. We'll never know. His prejudice perhaps told him that he could easily beat down rolly polly fat crackas as opposed to n***as, and that they in fact, deserve it.

If a white kid said on the phone to his friend "I got some crazy n****r following me" he's most likely be running for his life.

As I said before, I think Zimerman is guilty of a crime, probably negligent homicide, for initiating a pursuit, while armed, that he did not have the training, the poise, nor smarts to handle, but I can't deny that Martin was stupid that night, probably prejudice himself, and it cost him his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies