Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 06:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No there are lots more complex reasons that it is harder when white parents afoot black kids. Everything from hair care to understanding the impact if institutional racism are all lessons that whites would need to learn in order to raise well adjusted black kids. Their experiences will be very different than those is their kids.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Uh; some pasty white kids also have that kinky "Black" hair, even real red heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; some pasty white kids also have that kinky "Black" hair, even real red heads.
There are some kinky haired non black people but I have yet to see one with my hair. Theirs is less course than my personal hair, but the there are black people with hair that is less course than someone with a Jew-fro.

I am not anti-people adopting kids outside their group. But it is naive to think they don't need a little education to raise their children. Especially around cultural issues.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:30 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,660,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have heard plenty of white people say "man" and "friend" to non-whites. I have not heard nearly as many blacks refer to non-blacks as "brotha" or "sista".

That has got to be the most racist thing I have read in awhile. Blacks are surrounded by murder, crime and crack? This has to be a joke.

Indeed...the wealthy blacks of Mount Vernon and Martha's Vineyard are "surrounded by crack and poverty." And I guess the whites of Appalachia are just "rich white suckas"

What the hell is "the black lifestyle"? I have news for you: plenty of blacks are not religious, don't breakdance on weekends and don't have pig feet eating parties. The black lifestyle...give me a break!
I too have heard plenty of white people call black people "man", only problem is as soon as they leave the black person, they call them a "stupid n-gg--."

You said "Blacks are surrounded by murder, crime and crack? This has to be a joke."

(Please) answer the following question. If you were in New Orleans would you walk through a (poor) black neighborhood on Friday night at 11:30 pm ?

What is the "poverty stricken" black lifestyle? (lets look at the white lifestyle in New Orleans first.)

We go to work and lead unharnessed lives. We hang out with our families, go fishing, play golf, ex.ex. and we go to craw fish boils on the weekend.

The "poverty stricken" black lifestyle is (not) being able to find a job, because of no jobs being available, you don't have a car, and most white people are racist towards you.

You can't afford to play golf. And if your lucky enough to go fishing, you fish off the side of a bridge (but you use old spark plugs for weights, because you can't afford store bought fishing weights.)

You spend your weekends trying to avoid being shot, robbed, and harassed by the police. And your lucky if you hang out with your family much, because many of them are in jail or addicted to crack.

If you are truly part black I think you need to learn the harsh lives that many "poverty stricken" black people lead. You should come to New Orleans and see firsthand. If you ever plan to visit please PM me, I will send you some suggestions on places to visit.

ps If you are in New Orleans don't walk through poor black neighborhoods late at night. I am not a racist and even if I tried I would have all my money and valuables stolen "if I'm lucky" (but I would never do it unless I'm with a black person who knows the people in the area.)

Chad.

Last edited by chad3; 10-31-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,987,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I too have heard plenty of white people call black people "man", only problem is as soon as they leave the black person, they call them a "stupid n-gg--."

You said "Blacks are surrounded by murder, crime and crack? This has to be a joke."

(Please) answer the following question. If you were in New Orleans would you walk through a (poor) black neighborhood on Friday night at 11:30 pm ?

What is the "poverty stricken" black lifestyle? (lets look at the white lifestyle in New Orleans first.)

We go to work and lead unharnessed lives. We hang out with our families, go fishing, play golf, ex.ex. and we go to craw fish boils on the weekend.

The "poverty stricken" black lifestyle is (not) being able to find a job, because of no jobs being available, you don't have a car, and most white people are racist towards you.

You can't afford to play golf. And if your lucky enough to go fishing, you fish off the side of a bridge (but you use old spark plugs for weights, because you can't afford store bought fishing weights.)

You spend your weekends trying to avoid being shot, robbed, and harassed by the police. And your lucky if you hang out with your family much, because many of them are in jail or addicted to crack.

If you are truly part black I think you need to learn the harsh lives that many "poverty stricken" black people lead. You should come to New Orleans and see firsthand. If you ever plan to visit please PM me, I will send you some suggestions on places to visit.

ps If you are in New Orleans don't walk through poor black neighborhoods late at night. I am not a racist and even if I tried I would have all my money and valuables stolen "if I'm lucky" (but I would never do it unless I'm with a black person who knows the people in the area.)

Chad.

Yes, and there are plenty of poverty stricken whites too. What is your point? Also, there are plenty of wealthy blacks who know nothing about crack or jail or anything else. What, do they not have "the black experience?"

You are the one equating black with poor. Hence, you are the one being racist as hell, not I.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:

Yes, and there are plenty of poverty stricken whites too. What is your point? Also, there are plenty of wealthy blacks who know nothing about crack or jail or anything else. What, do they not have "the black experience?"

You are the one equating black with poor. Hence, you are the one being racist as hell, not I.
I don't always agree with you but 100% on this one.

Here is the black experience in two easy steps.

1. Are you black?
2. Are you experiencing stuff?

You have the black experience.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:52 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,121,724 times
Quote:

Why are you dismissing the Black experience yet constantly pointing out how you go through the mixed-race experience?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,676,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The elephant in the room for the "Black Experience" is never discussed. It is just an unspoken given. I came to this realization as a Native American when a thread was started here demanding that all NDN reservations be shut down and Native Americans should abandon their culture and just be Americans. The same attitude is stated over and over for black people also. They would have you believe that you have no culture. They will start thread after thread to convince you that you don't even know where you came from or what you stand for.

But the elephant in the room is you do have a culture. One that has been given to you by white society. And that is.........

They don't say that Native Americans HAVE problems in their communities. They say Native Americans ARE the problem.
They don't say blacks have problems in their communities. They say, Blacks ARE the problem. Blacks have always been the problem for white society since the day after slavery was abolished.
If the attitude was "the black community has problems" then society would come together and find solutions to those problems. But when the black people ARE the problem, then nothing is done except to keep pointing out how blacks are a problem in society.

It's a mindset.

The Trayvon Martin incident brought this white mindset home to me.
Trayvon was not doing anything wrong or illegal at 7:20PM that night. He was just a black teenager in a hoodie walking home from the store. But a self proclaimed vigilante saw Trayvon as "The problem". And went to investigate. Just the act of walking and being black made Trayvon "THE problem" worth investigation. Nobody in society flinched when G. Zimmerman decided to investigate "The problem". People in general take it for granted that a black person walking in a white neighborhood in the early evening was "A problem that should be looked into". With this mindset, any action TM took against the person checking him out was "The Problem" and deserving of any action necessary to eliminate "The Problem". Which George Zimmerman promptly did. Society never even batted an eyelash that the whole premise of GZ labeling TM "A Problem" was an automatic, cultural mindset. A Problem? Of course, he was black.

In a white dominated society, Blacks don't have problems.....They are the problem.
In a white dominated society, Native Americans don't have problems..........They are the problem
In a white dominated society, Hispanics don't have problems..........They are the problem.
In a white dominated society, When a certain culture HAS problems.........you solve them.
In a white dominated society, when the culture IS PERCEIVED TO BE the problem.............you eliminate them.
Of course the white dominated society will vehemently deny this but actions speak louder than words.

For us NDNs they tried to re-educate us in the 20s through 40s by denying us the right to speak our own languages and forcing us to abandon our culture. It didn't work then, so now there is a move afoot to take our reservations, tear up the treaties and just eliminate us. They have been trying to eliminate us ever since they landed on our shores.

For Blacks, once slavery was made illegal they had no use for you whatsoever. You have always been "The problem" that just won't go away. There is a whole corporate industry set up to house your brightest and strongest young men behind barred cells. You will always have access to the poorest education systems society has to offer and always be last in line for the job. You will never have enough so you will always crave more and bear witness to white society's label that "You, are the problem".

Hispanics, the house will never pass immigration reform because once again, you don't have problems.........You!........ are the problem.

How many threads bemoaning the fact that whites will be a minority of the population by ........Oh?..........Next Tuesday?
That's because WE are the problem and more of us is a problem for white society. We don't have problems in our culture, WE ARE THE PROBLEM in American society.
Any white person who doesn't believe this suffers from the fatal disease of "White Guilt".

So you see, in the end, White Society has given us all a culture by default. Our culture is We are the "Problem" in True, Patriotic, Apple Pie, American Society.

Get used to it.

Footnote: I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion. Back in 1903 in a groundbreaking book, "The Souls of Black Folks" by W.E.B. DuBois, he argued that the defining element of African American life was being viewed by White society as a perpetual problem. One's very existence was a problem for society. After the Reservation thread and the Trayvon Martin incident, I began to understand what he meant.
The OP decided to resurrect this thread.

After reading the added posts, I feel this post on the subject is just as relevant to the question of "What is the Black Exoerience here in America?"
It applies to all minorities, IMO.
It is long, but to the point in that the dominant white culture controls all the minority's cultural experiences. we really have no say in the matter.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,924,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The OP decided to resurrect this thread.

After reading the added posts, I feel this post on the subject is just as relevant to the question of "What is the Black Exoerience here in America?"
It applies to all minorities, IMO.
It is long, but to the point in that the dominant white culture controls all the minority's cultural experiences. we really have no say in the matter.
I have to laugh at the "dominant white culture" thing. Many what were called "ethnic" white people like the Irish, Italians, Germans and so on quickly became "anglo" to fit in and do well in the "WASP" world. Now more and more so called "people of color" are doing that too. I'm def Ok with that happening.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,328,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The black experience is not "one thing"....just as being "black" is not just one thing. There are many Dravidians in the Indian subcontinent who are darker than many "blacks", yet, there hair is strait and phenotype and features are different. There are Asians, on the other hand, with broad noses and fuller lips. In other words, being "black" is not one single thing, but rather a combination of things in various degrees or kind. Hence the "black experience is no different. Its not just poverty, its not just discrimination, its not just denigration.....its a combination.....like a lock.

Now....for me....as a person in his late 40's....I can meet another black person my same age and our experiences are are often the same. Both our parents or parents migrated from the South or have Southern Roots. When I was growing up, nearly everyone in my neighborhood had parents from Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas or the like. They all eight the same food, they all had pretty much the same sayings, they all pretty much had similar experiences with racism and discrimination. They all pretty much had the same beliefs, we all have the same slave master sir names, we all traced our roots to slavery, we all have our own personal experiences with racism....it was just a combination of things, in degree or kind, that existed for black people in America. That is not to suggest that other groups or races do not have their own combination of experiences that makes their experience uniquely theirs, in degree or kind. I do not for a minute assume that I have lived the "Latino" experience, the "Asian" experience, the "white" experience or that of any other group. There are of course "intersections" of experiences, but I believe every group has their own unique experiences in degree or kind, based upon how those groups are seen and treated by the larger society. For example, Asians are often stereotyped as being "smart" or people assuming they are good at math, but not many blacks are stereotyped as being smart, just like many Asians are not assumed to be able to run fast, jump high and such, Hispanics are assumed to be hard workers while blacks are assumed to be lazy. Hence, our experiences are often different based upon how the group is seen.
Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas are states with strong French, Spanish, Latin, and Creole colonial roots and heritages. The history of these states differs from that of the 13 Colonies states.

And btw, there are black people in India as in, people of African descent. Look up the Siddis.

Also black people don't just live in the USA. Consider the overall African diaspora.

There are many blacks and mixed Afrodescendants from other parts of the globe that live in the USA and there are many different and unique experiences.

Mixed race peoples also have different experiences from that of people that are just black.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,996,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are some kinky haired non black people but I have yet to see one with my hair. Theirs is less course than my personal hair, but the there are black people with hair that is less course than someone with a Jew-fro.

I am not anti-people adopting kids outside their group. But it is naive to think they don't need a little education to raise their children. Especially around cultural issues.

What is a Jew-fro? I've never heard of that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies