Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Bad parenting.
Do you have kids? I know you aren't saying that parents who let their boys sag are bad parents. Here in California, I am going to estimate and say that about 1 in 5 boys sag. All of them aren't gangbangers, thugs, or wannabes.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
That's over the top and stupid.

If you really believe that's what most white people want -- and that's regardless of their political affiliation -- you've either been brainwashed by too many Reverends Sharlatans, notWrights, and Jesse Jackasses... or haven't spent any significant time with white people. White people don't sit around all day figuring out ways to screw-over AAs.

As to appearances, right or wrong, old ladies are always going to clutch their purses in elevators whether a black guy comes in with disheveled pants sagging down his crack, or whether a white guy steps in with more tattoos and piercings than a sideshow carnival freak.
They do it no matter how the black man is dressed.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I get your point, but white boys in my area are sagging. So are they labelled as thugs for sagging? I used to see them at my son's predominately white/Mexican high school walking to school or leaving school when I used to pick up my son. What's so funny is that when I was growing up in Compton in the 70s and 80s only the gangbangers wore baggy khakis or sagged. Today it seems that it's more than the black thugs, it appears to be the new fashion statement for black, white, asian, and mexican young men as well.
So "sagging" is when a guy is wearing his pants hanging off his butt? Then add to it the wearing of the backwards hat or a hoodie. Worst if sunglasses are worn. It just makes for a quick covering of their face if they want to commit a crime.

No matter what a man's race, if he's sagging and wearing something that could potentially obscure their face, it does cause people to think less highly of them. Sagging is not an attractive look to women imo, at least to ones who are not from the "hood". And it does cause businesses like banks, convenience stores and other retail establishments to be more watchful of their presence. And if a sagging youth or man is applying for a job, they are going to be considered last if at all. After all, how can they give their full attention and effort to their job if they have to keep one hand free to keep yanking up their pants?

Sagging is a sign of immaturity and misplaced admiration for the wrong type of mentors. It also implies that they don't consider academic skills to be important in getting ahead in life.

And yes, if a stranger (to me) is walking around my neighborhood at night, sagging and wearing a hoodie, I would be watchful of them no matter what their race was. And if they suddenly ducked out of sight to cut to someone's backyard, I might also call the police to check on that house. It's about keeping my neighborhood safe.

And btw, adults, not just, children eat Skittles, so just eating candy is not some indication of ihaving childlike innocent thoughts or that person being a child. From the pictures of Trayvon around the time that he was killed, had I seen him in person, I would have thought him a young man, not a child by his height and mannerisms. Being 17 is not the same as being an innocent child of 10. By age 17, most teens have had sexual intercourse. And 17 can join the military with parental consent and be sent off to war. There are also thousands of American teens in street gangs who rob, steal and kill others. And many gangs have their teen members do the worst crimes because if caught, they only get sent to juvenile court, not the regular adult courts for sentencing and hard time.

Anyway, everyone should periodically stop and think about the way outsiders might view they way they present themselves to the rest of the world in terms of how they speak, act and dress themselves. Especially if they are dissatisfied with their lot in life such as having difficulty in finding a (decent) job or having true friends of quality.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:17 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They do it no matter how the black man is dressed.
So not true.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So not true.
I got followed around a store, despite wearing a suit, and similar events have happened to my father despite not looking like a thug. I speak from personal experience when I say I disagree. I disagree because I have the experience to say otherwise.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So not true.
I'm a black man, if you didn't know. I think I've got some experience in this matter.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:28 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I got followed around a store, despite wearing a suit, and similar events have happened to my father despite not looking like a thug. I speak from personal experience when I say I disagree. I disagree because I have the experience to say otherwise.
My daughter got followed around a store the other day- she is blonde with blue eyes...maybe the store security are color blind?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times
And as an adult black male over 30, I've been followed and harrassed while wearing slacks and a collared shirt while driving a luxury car.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
And as an adult black male over 30, I've been followed and harrassed while wearing slacks and a collared shirt while driving a luxury car.
Same. I was twice followed by some small-town yokel cop from through his inner-ring white Jersey suburb all the way to my house some 30 miles outside his jurisdiction.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Same. I was twice followed by some small-town yokel cop from through his inner-ring white Jersey suburb all the way to my house some 30 miles outside his jurisdiction.
But unlike that "thug" Trayvon, you were a model Negro and a credit to your race by letting that cop follow you around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies