Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times

Advertisements

Obama's Jobs Speech To Congress- Full Video - YouTube

I never read much into it until now, it seems like something that both the Democrats and Republicans would like. Of course it's too late to pass it now considering we once again need to create another debt commission or implement Simpson-Bowles but overall it seems like a bill that I would've proposed to spur growth. So what was the problem with this bill?

Sorry, I meant to say American Jobs Act, not Jobs Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:32 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
2 words Republican Obstructionism

Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
It would have helped too many people get jobs. Keeping UE Rate as high as possible was the job of the GOP at the time .... errr, seems it still is.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 AM

Some Democrats also didn't like the bill as well, so I want to understand why. I liked that it reduced corporate taxes in exchange for closing loopholes, I like the tax-code being rewritten to be in more favor of the small business owner, I liked the trade agreement proposal with South Korea, I like tax incentive for hiring those who have been unemployed six months or more, and etc. I nearly agreed with the entire bill, I would've preferred this over the ARRA.

Do you all think its possible for the US to implement parts of this bill still?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
2 words Republican Obstructionism
Are the dems really this weak? Seriously. Grow a pair. When the dems are not in power, they whine about how the republicans ruin things. When the dems are in power, they whine about how the republicans ruin things. Is there ever a time the dems actually do something??? other than whine I mean.

The dems hold power right now. If they can't work with that, that's their problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Some Democrats also didn't like the bill as well, so I want to understand why. I liked that it reduced corporate taxes in exchange for closing loopholes, I like the tax-code being rewritten to be in more favor of the small business owner, I liked the trade agreement proposal with South Korea, I like tax incentive for hiring those who have been unemployed six months or more, and etc. I nearly agreed with the entire bill, I would've preferred this over the ARRA.

Do you all think its possible for the US to implement parts of this bill still?
My guess is the devil is in the details. The democrats had the power to push it through if they really wanted it. My guess is the tax breaks are why they didn't. Dems don't like tax breaks for businesses. They see that as taking care of the rich.

I'm not convinced it would have actually created jobs though. I think it just would have shifted who gets hired with those being unemployed more than 6 months gaining preference for the breaks. That would mean that there would be no net gains as others would just take their place waiting to be unemployed for 6 months.

What I would have liked to have seen (probably too late for this now) is a major infrastructure rebuilding across the nation. We have bridges across the country in need of major repairs. We need mass transit in many of our large cities. I'd even vote to increase the debt ceiling for this kind of spending because it generates jobs and subsequently more tax revenue.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:02 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Are the dems really this weak? Seriously. Grow a pair. When the dems are not in power, they whine about how the republicans ruin things. When the dems are in power, they whine about how the republicans ruin things. Is there ever a time the dems actually do something??? other than whine I mean.

The dems hold power right now. If they can't work with that, that's their problem.

Dems only hold power in the Senate not in the House to get things down one party needs to control both the house and the Senate This is another reason why Republicans are not helping Obama

Mitch McConnell: Top Priority, Make Obama a One Term President - YouTube

Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My guess is the devil is in the details. The democrats had the power to push it through if they really wanted it. My guess is the tax breaks are why they didn't. Dems don't like tax breaks for businesses. They see that as taking care of the rich.

I'm not convinced it would have actually created jobs though. I think it just would have shifted who gets hired with those being unemployed more than 6 months gaining preference for the breaks. That would mean that there would be no net gains as others would just take their place waiting to be unemployed for 6 months.

What I would have liked to have seen (probably too late for this now) is a major infrastructure rebuilding across the nation. We have bridges across the country in need of major repairs. We need mass transit in many of our large cities. I'd even vote to increase the debt ceiling for this kind of spending because it generates jobs and subsequently more tax revenue.
Understandable, I also agree with what you were saying about infrastructure, till this day I believe we need to invest in infrastructure especially while we still can. Maybe we need an infrastructure and tax-reform bill, I want to corporations to repatriate their over-seas taxes to the US but in a way that gives them an incentive to while also investing in projects across the US to build the infrastructure we need.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:49 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Because it would have helped the economy and Republicans wanted the economy to be as bad as possible in the run up to the 2012. Several leading Republicans even admitted this when they thought they were speaking off the record to their fellow Republicans. In other words, Republicans were actively trying to prevent the economy from recovering because they thought it benefited them politically and that type of treason & selfishness is why 76% of the American people disapprove of the Republican Party.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Obama's Jobs Speech To Congress- Full Video - YouTube

I never read much into it until now, it seems like something that both the Democrats and Republicans would like. Of course it's too late to pass it now considering we once again need to create another debt commission or implement Simpson-Bowles but overall it seems like a bill that I would've proposed to spur growth. So what was the problem with this bill?

Sorry, I meant to say American Jobs Act, not Jobs Act.
Basically instituting the American jobs act would have put several million Americans back to work fixing things like roads and bridges along with giving more work security to a wide range of professionals.
This of course would not only have helped many but it also would have made Obama look good, something righties are bound and determined not to let happen under any circumstance even if their obstructionism is bad for the country. The GOP have become a one trick pony under their tea party leadership,their only trick is to hate Obama and anything he tries to accomplish America be damned, its now all about satiating the addiction to the emotion of hate .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies