Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Obama's Jobs Speech To Congress- Full Video - YouTube

I never read much into it until now, it seems like something that both the Democrats and Republicans would like. Of course it's too late to pass it now considering we once again need to create another debt commission or implement Simpson-Bowles but overall it seems like a bill that I would've proposed to spur growth. So what was the problem with this bill?

Sorry, I meant to say American Jobs Act, not Jobs Act.
Simple. If Dems support something, the GOP will oppose it, even if it is about creating jobs. They only support their own bills, which is why the Congress enjoys only 12% support from the American public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Simple. If Dems support something, the GOP will oppose it, even if it is about creating jobs. They only support their own bills, which is why the Congress enjoys only 12% support from the American public.
Hell, half of the time Republicans turn against their own bills just because the President says he agrees with it and would like to see it passed.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Hell, half of the time Republicans turn against their own bills just because the President says he agrees with it and would like to see it passed.
I know. They rejected a 10% cut to the corporate tax rate, when Dems proposed it, and that measure is something they have proposed for decades. Romney, and his supporters advertised it as a solution to fix the economy.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:

I never read much into it until now, it seems like something that both the Democrats and Republicans would like. Of course it's too late to pass it now considering we once again need to create another debt commission or implement Simpson-Bowles but overall it seems like a bill that I would've proposed to spur growth. So what was the problem with this bill?

When the Nation's focus is on "green eggs and ham" people tend no to do thier job. How ironic that a "jobs" bill didn't get any movement because of legislators not doing theirs.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:47 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
More federal gubbement jobs, yeah that will fix it. That and continuing to legislate more regs, Obamacare, min. wage laws and subsidizing people to not work.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:

Because Republicans wanted to keep unemployment high in order to make it easier to run against "Obama's unemployment numbers." Somehow, American's suffering doesn't beat trying to get a political advantage.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
More federal gubbement jobs, yeah that will fix it. That and continuing to legislate more regs, Obamacare, min. wage laws and subsidizing people to not work.
You do realize that most hired would be private sector jobs through contractors, right? Or do you just make-up your own facts?

Also, the minimum wage bill was passed before Obama and effective July 24, 2009, so how was that Obama?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You do realize that most hired would be private sector jobs through contractors, right? Or do you just make-up your own facts?

Also, the minimum wage bill was passed before Obama and effective July 24, 2009, so how was that Obama?
Yes crony contractors who are paid with taxpayer funds, so they may as well be government jobs.
I didn't say Obama raised min. wage, but Ill bet he'd like to.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You do know that many Dems hate the bill too, don't you?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Paid for with tax dollars. They are hardly the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies