Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why do conservatives and other Republicans sit back and take it when the left organizes boycotts and don't use the same tactic against them?

Boycotts don't work.

Hollywood idiots exist to entertain us. We pay them to make us laugh or show their nice naked bodies. Their politics are not important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Why do conservatives and other Republicans sit back and take it when the left organizes boycotts and don't use the same tactic against them?

President Obama has to resort to having celebrities push a product (Obamacare) that is already law because he and some other Democrats know it stinks...otherwise he wouldn't need Hollywood to do it. You college students that he runs to when he's trying to get elected, you're the dupes in Obamacare - liberal, conservative, political know-nothings - all of you. The whole thing falls apart without you younger people buying insurance that a number of you neither want or need. They need your youth bucks to pay for the older people in this boondoggle so thinking you are an easy mark for celebrity hype, they are going to treat you like children and get celebrities to hype it to you. You can punish politicians when you vote but the only way you can let the Hollywood shills know what you think of this is to hit them in the wallet. If they push Obamacare, don't go to their movies, don't buy their records, don't watch their TV shows...oh, and with the TV shows, you might want to let the producers and advertisers know why you won't be needing or wanting their product.

It's just good community organizing.
Please post those celebrities here so I can make sure to see their movies.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Since Hollywood has been producing nothing but trash over the past several years we've found it easier than ever to boycott a majority of movies and celebrities.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Since 08 and 12, there are many of the Hollywood/TV people that no longer get my money along with many products I no longer purchase.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't see enough of what Hollywood puts out to even boycott. However, I don't care enough about what any of them say to track it and see who I should boycott. I did get pretty tired of Tom Cruise for a while though.
Yeah, me either. I do occasionally watch a movie 'On Demand' - but I can't tell you the last time I went to the movie theatre.

I don't care what any 'movie star' says - no matter what their political leanings.

Are there people who hang onto an actor's every word?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Don't you get WHY they are using celebrities? They think young people are too stupid to think for themselves and the only people they follow, because it's "cool," are celebrities. If it was old people they were shaking down by trying to sell them a lemon, they wouldn't drag out Wil Ferrell. (Then they dragged out the AARP who sold the old folks down the river so the insurance arm of AARP could make a lot of money. As soon as Obamacare was law, AARP was front and center asking for a waiver from it.)

When Obama campaigned at colleges it was because students weren't victims of his economy. They don't pay taxes, feed a family, pay utility bills, need a full time job, etc.. He could sell them an idealistic bill of goods and they all went along for the ride because they weren't directly impacted...yet. It was cool to vote for Obama.

Do you see him selling Obamacare to young people by telling them the truth? That the whole thing collapses unless they pay for insurance they don't want or need because their money is needed to pay for people older than them? You think the movie/TV stars are going to tell them that?
Oh. Is that why Conservatives had Clint Eastwood talking to the empty chair? To fill their empty heads of old people as opposed to college students?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
They know that Obama lovers are the type to swoon over celebrities, especially the younger, looked how they swooned over Obama. Funny how it's the young that are going to be the most important to Obamacare because they pay the bill.

Don't worry Obama children, by the time Obama is done with this country we will all live in shacks like his brother. And if you voted for Obama you deserve it.
HAHAHAHAhahahaha. Two words for you - Clint Eastwood.

Remember how ya'll ate up everything he said to that dumb empty chair? Remember that?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Boycotts don't work.

Hollywood idiots exist to entertain us. We pay them to make us laugh or show their nice naked bodies. Their politics are not important.
They don't? What happened to Glenn Beck?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Well that's a variation on an old question I've seen asked many times but never answered. Why does the right let the left get away with the tactics they use and never fight back? The only answer I've seen is that we feel that since our ideas are better than theirs that we shouldn't need to resort to the things they do. Unfortunately the reality is that their falsehoods, personal attacks, appeals to emotion, etc really do work and we're losing by not using them.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I consider the political opinions of actors and such to be as valid as, well, as those found here on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies