Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
The hiring has been consistently going southernly(in the downward position) because upper to upper upper management(CEOs, CFOs, COOs,etc) figured out that they can get the same work done with fewer workers than they had before the recession. The smaller businesses have to keep up with the multi-nationals, so they have to use a smaller, but overworked workforce to be able to compete. This is about fat checks going to the CEOs of the mult-nationals, and staying afloat for the small business folks........this ain't about Obamacare......Obamacare is just a smokescreen.
not a smoke screen, its a never ending kick in the crotch with a Kodiak steel-toed work boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Yeah right. That kool aid you are drinking must be delicious I am sure you got that review in one of your favorite magnets on your fridge. Keep thinking how wonderful you are as a worker and blame Obamacare for your troubles. Tough looking in the mirror. Or having to figure things out on your own
I'm waiting for you to explain to me the economics of business which involves cutting employees hours when the economy improves and business expands. I've never once heard this economic theory you keep claiming exists..

Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm waiting for you to explain to me the economics of business which involves cutting employees hours when the economy improves and business expands. I've never once heard this economic theory you keep claiming exists..
You need to study the behavior of CEO's or the power structure in general to understand. They have been cutting hours of employees for the past 3 decades and you haven't noticed. Doing more with less is the mantra in this economy. Your theories that you know so well are irrelevant. Wake up. Oh btw, I didn't vote for Obama so don't put me in that group. I just am not blinded by stats and theories. I am sure you graduated w/ a 4.0 in economics but you suck at life!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Quote:
Yeah right. That kool aid you are drinking must be delicious I am sure you got that review in one of your favorite magnets on your fridge. Keep thinking how wonderful you are as a worker and blame Obamacare for your troubles. Tough looking in the mirror. Or having to figure things out on your own
Are you stomping your feet right now too?

Seriously, come back with some facts when you can please. Until then and once again, the proof is out there being lived first hand, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,357,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Are you stomping your feet right now too?

Seriously, come back with some facts when you can please. Until then and once again, the proof is out there being lived first hand, no matter how much you want to deny it.
Dude, just buy a clue. I could explain it until I am blue in the face but you still wouldn't understand. You would just call me a ******* and continue on your path to destruction. Far be it for me to stop your suicide

Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Quote:
Dude, just buy a clue. I could explain it until I am blue in the face but you still wouldn't understand. You would just call me a ******* and continue on your path to destruction. Far be it for me to stop your suicide
I asked you to come back with some facts and this is what I get? Seriously, have you been reading what others are saying about where they work and how hours are being cut due to Obamacare? It is in all the papers too.

Again, I know you have to have a job to see this first hand and both of my jobs are experiencing cuts and pushback due to Obamacare.

But you go right on and keep denying it and that it is not affecting people. Maybe ask yourself WHY they postponed the Employer Mandate and now want to do the same to the Individual Mandate. Ask yourself WHY they are hiring Hollywood celebrities (who really are in touch with people ) and spending $700 million on advertising for this train wreck of a bill. Ask yourself why politicians have exempted themselves from it.

Might I suggest getting a brush too, this way you could move the wool from over your eyes.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
You need to study the behavior of CEO's or the power structure in general to understand. They have been cutting hours of employees for the past 3 decades and you haven't noticed. Doing more with less is the mantra in this economy. Your theories that you know so well are irrelevant. Wake up. Oh btw, I didn't vote for Obama so don't put me in that group. I just am not blinded by stats and theories. I am sure you graduated w/ a 4.0 in economics but you suck at life!
...and yet here you are, pushing stats and theories, all the while you are completely missing the boat.

There may be times when a company looks at ways to move employee hours around, as a way to leverage profits in a competitive market, but this new move is not something companies arrived upon on their own. Companies are not cutting employees and reducing hours because of free market competition. It's not normal market pressures causing these changes. These cuts in hours and reducing numbers of employees are artificial, due to interference by federal government laws and regulations.

Here is an employer doing just what has been said, cutting hours all to try and combat ObamaCare:

Darden Looks for Ways to Mitigate Health-Care Cost Increases

Annie Gasparro Darden Restaurants Inc. (DRI), the owner of Olive Garden, Red Lobster, LongHorn Steakhouse and several smaller chains, is testing a plan to put more employees on part-time status to mitigate cost increases as a result of the federal health-care overhaul. Darden said it is testing a shift from full-time to more part-time workers in four areas, such as Central Florida, to determine if it is a successful way to limit the financial impact of the Affordable Care Act, which requires employers with 50 or more full-time workers to provide health insurance to employees by 2014 or pay a penalty of up to $3,000 per employee. The law, passed in 2010, defines part-time status as working less than 30 hours per week. But restaurants and other retailers who employ hourly workers are still unsure as to whether the measure will be an average over a month, each quarter or another time frame.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
As a business owner, I find your theories quite laughable.. There is a reason why billionaires usually hire hundreds of thousands of employees.. How many employees to you have working for you?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As a business owner, I find your theories quite laughable.. There is a reason why billionaires usually hire hundreds of thousands of employees.. How many employees to you have working for you?
Where my son works (p/t upscale take out food) they have doubled the number of employees that work there since last year but their labor costs are the same. Each person now works less hours.
It's quite simple and saves the employer from having any employee going over 30 hours per week.
It's to the point where my son has been offered money for someone else to take his shift.

This is what is going on all over the US. People are not getting hours they need.

Bernanke said p/t jobs are outpacing f/t jobs since 2008 and he says he doesn't know why.
I'll tell ya why..labor costs.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Even Obamacare doesn't want Obamacare.

Remember the Pizza Hut commercial from several years back, where a couple of guy are sitting around during a break at work, trying to decide what pizza to order? They finally agree that Pizza Hut is the best, and no other chain has a hope of measuring up. With the decision finally made, they put on their Domino's Delivery caps and go back to work.

That was faked. This isn't.

Do the Democrats have any idea just how ridiculous this kind of thing makes them look? Or are they getting so used to it, they no longer notice?

I guess this is "the New Normal" they promised us.

-------------------------------------------

Obamacare Call Center Will Not Offer Healthcare Benefits to Employees | National Review Online

Obamacare Call Center Will Not Offer Healthcare Benefits to Employees

by Eliana Johnson
July 26, 2013 6:27 PM

In order to ensure Americans understand how to access the benefits available to them when many provisions of the Affordable Care Act go online October 1, the Obama administration announced last month that it is setting up a call center that will be accessible to Americans 24 hours a day.

One branch of that call center will be located in California’s Contra Costa County, where, reportedly, 7,000 people applied for the 204 jobs. According to the Contra Costa Times, however, “about half the jobs are part-time, with no health benefits — a stinging disappointment to workers and local politicians who believed the positions would be full-time.” The county supervisor, Karen Mitchoff, called the hiring process “a comedy of errors” and said she “never dreamed [the jobs] would be part-time.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies