Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 37,329 times

Advertisements

I'd think I'd like to become a mayor one day. I'm 18 and will be going to college soon. Do you have to major in something specific, like political science or law? Most politicians/mayors have a background in those things, but since a law degree doesn't guarantee a job as a mayor (nothing does) I don't want to study law. I'd like to become a mayor to help out my city, help it grow, improve it and the schools, but I don't want to waste my years in school on law and then end up never getting elected for anything, you know? I don't want to be a LAWYER, I'd like to be a mayor. I want to study criminal justice in college, and hopefully get the chance to become mayor one day. So does not being a lawyer or majoring in political science lessen my chances of being elected as mayor/city one day? Do you need hundreds of thousands of dollars to do even a decent campaign?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Depends on the state, and sometimes on the city.

In some cities you have to circulate petitions around for people to sign, asking that your name be put on the ballot. Friends and even paid helpers can help circulate the petitions. If you get enough signatures, you're on the ballot at the next city election.

Then you have to start campaigning like crazy, telling people who you are and why they should vote for you. TV and radio is a good way to do that, but it isn't free. That's when you run into people who say they'll support you for mayor (meaning, they'll pay your TV costs), if you "support" them later. If you think that's bribery of an elected official, you're as near right as makes no difference.

It's best to get that "support" from people whose ideas you would have promoted anyway even if they hadn't paid for your TV time.

You need to find out what the legal procedures are in your city and state.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Your best bet would be to start working in your community. To to city counsel meetings, board of supervisors. Ultimately try and become involved in a commission or get on a board. This will get your foot in the door in the local politics scene. After spending time in this area you can work towards mayor.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
The other piece is getting involved in campaigns for local candidates for your party. Lots of kids who are interested in politics start out that way.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
start by understanding the issues in your city, and talk to city leaders, business leaders, and people in the community at large about the problems and possible solutions to those problems. once you figure that out, then you can set up your platform. then you get the required number of signatures to get you on the ballot, and then campaign, all the while asking for donations to your campaign. try to set up an alliance of leaders to help you get into office. wht you do in office is up to you.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Ask the mayor of Bell. California.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/bell/

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocooo View Post
I'd think I'd like to become a mayor one day. I'm 18 and will be going to college soon. Do you have to major in something specific, like political science or law? Most politicians/mayors have a background in those things, but since a law degree doesn't guarantee a job as a mayor (nothing does) I don't want to study law. I'd like to become a mayor to help out my city, help it grow, improve it and the schools, but I don't want to waste my years in school on law and then end up never getting elected for anything, you know? I don't want to be a LAWYER, I'd like to be a mayor. I want to study criminal justice in college, and hopefully get the chance to become mayor one day. So does not being a lawyer or majoring in political science lessen my chances of being elected as mayor/city one day? Do you need hundreds of thousands of dollars to do even a decent campaign?
College will jump start you. Join service groups and find a political internship. do H4H on the weekends, find a decent job that allows you to learn the business(how to run payroll and manage a team).

Your major does not really matter, but your electives will. If you do not have to declare a minor, take Business Law(one that is specific to your state), Business Management(or organizational management),Marketing, Political science, a Small business Entrepreneurship class, economics(both Micro and Macro), City planning( It may be called Strategic Urban development)

Get involved in campaigns and dont just join up with someone who is automatically going to win. The objective here is to learn, not to be spoon fed.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM

14 posts, read 37,329 times
Thank you all, very helpful answers. I'm planning on majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in political science or business.

I think I'd be a good mayor, I like donating to charities and helping out others. I enjoy watching the news and being aware of what's going on in my community, and I like think about what I'd do if I was responsible for solving a problem in a city near me. So I think I have the right attitude and mindset for this job.

I just need to get involved more, like you said. But I'm 18 and still live with my parents, and I think I underestimate myself. A lot of the time I think 'Well I'm only 18 and still live with my parents, I probably won't be able to change anything.' But today I decided I should at least try. The schools in my city are getting worse and worse, and I'm tired of hiring about crimes in my area. It upsets me, I want to do something about it. Even though I graduated from school and I don't have to worry about it anymore, I don't want the schools to keep going downhill. So how can I find out local events and meetings, probably it will be on the city's website?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Business and econ are probably the best majors to have as a background.

If the schools are your major interest, maybe you should plan to run for the school board at some point. Many political careers have started there. I second the suggestions about getting involved in the community and working on campaigns.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times
In places like NY junk matters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies