Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times

Advertisements

Funny thing is that "mentally retarded" was originally a term used to avoid what were then medically valid terms like "idiot", "moron", and "imbecile" because of their negative context.

I believe the term is "euphemism treadmill".

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 AM

945 posts, read 968,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
What's especially hilarious is someone ranting about his right to use playground insults telling someone else to grow up.

Playground insults? This is mainstream for those who don't hold AARP cards.

#YOLO babe

Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I love the PCers. I wish they were as brave in real life as they are when hidden behind the safety of their computers.
Ok, let's try another tactic because you are not getting the point.

Pretend there was a certain type of gun that shot two bullets. One straight and one wayward. When you shot this gun, you'll hit your target, and possibly an innocent bystander. Would you buy this type of gun? Probably not.

I'm an certainly not above insulting people that deserve it. Let's pretend I'd like to insult someone. Here's two examples:

1. "My ex boyfriend was a total douchecanoe": Here I have successfully insulted my ex boyfriend. I have not insulted anyone else with this comment. Canoes, being inanimate objects, are not offended by my remarks. Straight shot: one insult, one person.

2. "Ugh, my chemistry teacher is such a retard": Here I have successfully insulted my chemistry teacher AND, as a byproduct, anyone with mental disabilities who happens to be listening to my conversation. I have unintentionally hurt people that I didn't mean to insult. I've used the gun with two bullets: I've hit the target and an innocent bystander.

The disability community has gotten together to politely ask you to stop using the word "retarded" in a mean, insulting way. This is a very easy gesture that you can make to help make society slightly more civilized.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman91 View Post
Sometimes people use words they shouldn’t use when theirtrying to be funny. Some use “***”, and others use the “N” word. I hate themboth and think both of them shouldn’t be used in those ways. But another word Ireally hate is the word “Retard”. People seem to use this word all the time.Some people say it when they’re mad, they will say something like “This is soretarded!” Others will say it to be funny or as an insult like “Don’t be aretard.” Or “You’re retarded.” This is really disrespectful and rude. There arepeople who have mental problems and can’t control it, so they have no defense againstit. Others who have mental issues may understand it and may be insulted, butthe person who said it thinks the person will be too stupid to understand. Iwas in special ed classes and do hate it when people use this word. I knew somesmart people in those classes, possibly smarter than people in “normal classes”,just maybe a bit slower. People who use it in mean ways should feel ashamed formaking fun of a disability problem, even if they aren’t completely aware of it.Just like *** and the n word, it may insult the person. They aren’t being funnyor cool, they’re just being jerks.
I agree. It is very insensitive.
I always try to correct my friends whenever they said that if an opportunity arose.

I was guilty for saying the word in the past. Not until I did some volunteer job tutoring (as a specialized tutor) some of mentally challenged kids in college that I realized it was very insensitive.

The moment I realized it was probably not related. But anyway it was when this girl could not understand a simple Math equation for several days. And I asked her to try again. She got so mad at her own inability that she shouted, "I am so retarded DUH!" I did and do not know what she meant by that but it actually hurt me that she said that. (People said I am way too sympathetic).

I just usually use the word "coockledoodledoo" to replace any offensive words. Sometimes I also said s***t though. I dont think feces will get offended. :P

Last edited by asiandudeyo; 07-29-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You're just more sensitive than most......I've worked around the mentally challenged and have a family member that is this is not an issue any of us have worried about. I'm more concerned about my sister handing a person a $20.00 for a $5.00 item and getting back her correct change. Or men who think because she doesn't seem to understand everything having sex with her is their right.
I would be sensitive to the needs of the mentally challenged, but not to modern day inept PC. I find them vulgar and rude and I have taken Rude lessons 101 and 101 a so far and being a biker (tall thin long hair and beard sort of guy) I don't mind giving the Rude PC a dose of their own back.

This guy is a superman

He has to deal with the inept PC

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Ok, let's try another tactic because you are not getting the point.
Here's a tactic: completely read my posts. Once again I will tell you that there is a difference between being mentally retarded, which is an accurate descriptor of a condition, and using the word "retard" to describe someone whose actions or presentation is not to your liking. I have family and friends in and around Seattle and have the opportunity to travel there. I'm beggin' you to start correcting people since you have the idea that you would be performing a public service.

Quote:
Pretend there was a certain type of gun that shot two bullets. One straight and one wayward. When you shot this gun, you'll hit your target, and possibly an innocent bystander. Would you buy this type of gun? Probably not.

I'm an certainly not above insulting people that deserve it. Let's pretend I'd like to insult someone. Here's two examples:

1. "My ex boyfriend was a total douchecanoe": Here I have successfully insulted my ex boyfriend. I have not insulted anyone else with this comment. Canoes, being inanimate objects, are not offended by my remarks. Straight shot: one insult, one person.
You do seem to have a knack for being insulting.

Quote:
2. "Ugh, my chemistry teacher is such a retard":
Apples and oranges. See above.

Quote:
Here I have successfully insulted my chemistry teacher AND, as a byproduct, anyone with mental disabilities who happens to be listening to my conversation. I have unintentionally hurt people that I didn't mean to insult. I've used the gun with two bullets: I've hit the target and an innocent bystander.

The disability community has gotten together to politely ask you to stop using the word "retarded" in a mean, insulting way. This is a very easy gesture that you can make to help make society slightly more civilized.
Some people have expressed a desire that would dictate everyone's speech. Just because they ask does not mean that they are right. Another example would be the term "black" as a descriptor of race. Some people have declared it to be a derisive term. That doesn't make it a derisive term and I will not change my use of the word to coddle those who prone to histrionics. One of my friends positively wants to be referred to as black and not hyphenated version that has recently come into vogue.

Since you feel so strongly about this, as you interact with people I strongly urge you to be on guard, most diligently, so when you meet up with these miscreants, you can rightly put them in their place. Just think of the public service you will be performing. Memorials will be erected and anthems will be sung in your honor.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Gee, I wonder when that will be. Next year? The year after? Nah... dear me, it's long gone.

Sorry, I grew up in the non PC era and I like it that way. We don't cringe at any words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Move over so I can join you on the Un-PC bench.
The more the merrier. I have given up completely on the PC and their evil ways.

The mentally retarded are what they are, and should not be shamed at what they are have no control.

Now, the inept PC should be shamed for pretending what is not meant to be, and never was, nor never will be, and they have no valid excuse.

This where the word retard is used best. There is nothing wrong with the PC other than pretending and the lack of working thru a problem.

Their lives are full of silly little rules where they think for some reason, never god given, they are the people in the know and so are or should be in control, but are challenged to just make a meal.

A good example of this PC mentality was stated by dianne feinstein, when she tried to blabber her way thru there is no need to ban high capacity magazines because sooner or later the bullets in them would run out

She pretends to know about what she has no CLUE, and her following (Ilk) know no better

Now that's Retarded.

She has no excuse, She is old enough and had time to learn in the past 50+ years, Mags are feeding device, and while it's true they can run out of bullets, it is also true the bullets can be placed back in a mag.

The only questions I have is if dianne feinstein is this retarded why is she in Public Service? Is she really border line mentally retarded? or is she just PC Stupid?

I see being inept and PC as a major illness, and where you get no say and or control as someone else indeed should be appointed to do it for you.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM

The word retarded is hurtful to the disability community. They have asked the public to stop using this word as an insult. The fact that so many if you are insistent on using it is truly mind boggling to me.

Next up: Puppy Kicking: Wrong or " Dont You Tell Me What To Do"

Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Since you feel so strongly about this, as you interact with people I strongly urge you to be on guard, most diligently, so when you meet up with these miscreants, you can rightly put them in their place. Just think of the public service you will be performing. Memorials will be erected and anthems will be sung in your honor.
Actually, it is part of my job to make sure that offensive language is kept out my classroom. I've seen the effect this word and others like it (thats so gaaay, various racial slurs) have on students, even adult students. I dont know if I deserve a memorial but a salary increase would be nice if you're offering.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The word retarded is hurtful to the disability community. They have asked the public to stop using this word as an insult. The fact that so many if you are insistent on using it is truly mind boggling to me.

Next up: Puppy Kicking: Wrong or " Dont You Tell Me What To Do"
We are sick to death of the PC and their BS.

We as a rule won't harm or inflict pain on the mentally retarded, but we don't give a damn about the PC Retards and there is a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies