Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That's the title of a thread that never gets posted. Yet, every week, multiple times a week, multiple posters on here will create a thread to specifically denigrate Black people. Why is that? The best part is those threads almost always lead into criticisms about how Blacks are so obsessed w/ making things racial...

At first, I was all bent on arguing w/ these people that obviously turn to Bill O'Reilly for their info on Black people, but recently it occurred to me how sad and pathetic it is to come on to an internet forum, just to create hate threads about a race you never interact with.

And then there's the motive of finding the random story and somehow deciding that element is an accurate representation of Black people as a whole. What kind of agenda would a Black person need to create a thread every time a high school teacher got busted w/ one of their students and say "White people..." Yet everyday there are race-baiters on this site showing their obsession with Blacks.

What do Conservatives think about all these Black-obsessed threads? And the lack of similarly-obsessed threads to other groups by Liberals?
It has to do with a psychological frailty we all have called confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is the tendency to interpret new information, or new experiences, in ways that back up what we already believe, or wish to believe. Racism depends heavily on confirmation bias.

For example, when a white man kills, white people will think, "That man is a killer." They may wonder about what his motive was--was it money, jealousy, rage?

But when a black man kills, white people will think, "Black people are killers." They generally will not wonder about the motive, because in their minds, that black man was just doing what black men do. For that reason, in the mind of racists, the act of that particular black man implicates all black men.

That is how all forms of prejudice work. It is the same reason men who have a few bad experiences with women will thereafter often mistrust all women. But people generally only do this to individuals who belong to outside groups--i.e. to groups the prejudiced person does not belong to or sympathize with.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I'm not completely convinced that was the motivation behind this thread, but I know this is the result it got. It's hardly constructive and serves no real purpose.
I'm closing it for mods review

Last edited by elnina; 07-26-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies