Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:17 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
Mercy.. What narrative? Have you read the book? Yes or no?

I'm just in awe at some of these responses. It seems like it would not have mattered had he painted Jesus in the most positive light. The fact that he's Muslim is enough to sound the sirens and stop any further inquiry into his actual work. Stop diverting attention, admit that some of you are bigoted, and keep it moving.

I've read a few excerpts from the book and have yet to read any potentially offensive narrative about Jesus. But some of you are flying around in this thread like bees from a disturbed hive, with absolutely no direction or knowledge of what it is that you're attacking.

If you took the time to research who Reza Aslan is, what he supports, what boards he is a board member of and some of what he has said in the past, you can easily find out that he is as close to a muslim extremism supporter as one can get. I find that any time Pamela Geller or Robert Spencer singles someone out for their extremism, they have been 100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
Mercy.. What narrative? Have you read the book? Yes or no?

I'm just in awe at some of these responses. It seems like it would not have mattered had he painted Jesus in the most positive light. The fact that he's Muslim is enough to sound the sirens and stop any further inquiry into his actual work. Stop diverting attention, admit that some of you are bigoted, and keep it moving.

I've read a few excerpts from the book and have yet to read any potentially offensive narrative about Jesus. But some of you are flying around in this thread like bees from a disturbed hive, with absolutely no direction or knowledge of what it is that you're attacking.
The effects of brainwashing are sometimes painful to witness, aren't they? They know nothing of what it means to do historical research, they dismiss outright Aslan's comment that Christianity is the greatest religion in the world, and they haven't read the book. And yet they know it all.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM

717 posts, read 648,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
If you took the time to research who Reza Aslan is, what he supports, what boards he is a board member of and some of what he has said in the past, you can easily find out that he is as close to a muslim extremism supporter as one can get. I find that any time Pamela Geller or Robert Spencer singles someone out for their extremism, they have been 100% correct.
Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer 100% correct? In what universe? and by what miraculous concatenation of events did they manage it?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
First you link to an "Automated Insult Generator", now you cite Pamela Geller as an authoritative source? You're sure undermining someone's credibility, but it's not that of Reza Aslan.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
In interview after interview Reza Aslan claims to have Phd in religious studies. A flat out lie. Read the article. Or read what was written about the man from the place he ended up earning a Phd in Sociology, not religious studies. Santa Clara University - President's Reports - Reza Aslan: Education, Understanding, and Islam
From your own link, you deliberately misleading person:
Quote:
he is currently completing his Ph.D. in the sociology of religions

Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,232,713 times
An embarassing interview by FOX cannot compare to the interviews with the likes of Bobby Rush, Shelia jackson Lee, Pelosi, wm jefferson, Hank Johnson, D wasserman schultz etc.

Embarassing lawmakers who hold your future and safety in your hands get a pass while an news/entertainment program gets excoriated.

Not enough attention paid to the heart of the matter. Who keeps these people in office?

Old 08-02-2013, 02:42 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The effects of brainwashing are sometimes painful to witness, aren't they? They know nothing of what it means to do historical research, they dismiss outright Aslan's comment that Christianity is the greatest religion in the world, and they haven't read the book. And yet they know it all.
Literally the definition of "it's like talking to a brick wall".

Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
https://twitter.com/rezaaslan: Everyone knows how much @billmaher loves Jesus the Christ. I bet I can get him to love Jesus the man even more. Along with Meghan McCain.....

Found this to be interesting...... I'd have to say upon further search of this guy he's questionable on his motives to spread Islam to America.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Can't watch the video where I am now, however don't understand the degree of buzz related to this interview. Back when I was a cable news junkie, I remember Lauren Green being the religion correspondent, or whatever, for FOX. In the title of his book, the man does call Jesus a zealot. Would that not be a tad offensive for some? I dunno, but perhaps that's where she's coming from. If an author called their book Zealot: The Life and Times of Mohammed, they would probably be in hiding or dead. This seems like a non story to me, of course I don't have an agenda.

Zealot was a very appropriate title for Jesus.

Quote:
2. Zealot A member of a Jewish movement of the first century a.d. that fought against Roman rule in Palestine as incompatible with strict monotheism.
zealot - definition of zealot by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
I've seen worse from your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies