Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Must have missed this...probably cuz it's a bit kookie.

Meat is heavily subsidized and regulated as all hell. I can't imagine this index having much merit.
In Norway, I think they use the whale index.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM

87 posts, read 82,323 times
Good hope they get what they want...wage slavery is horrible.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The key is to find something you enjoy doing in an area where there is demand for it. The become very proficient at it either by education or by becoming the best. (Food service does not fall into any of these categories, so if food service is where you must make a living, lower your expectations. Striking will not change any parts of this equation.) Likewise, if religious studies is your passion, don't expect much in the way of compensation but instead settled for simple satisfaction.

I found what I like to do, and found a niche within that area where there is high demand. I worked towards multiple grad degrees in that field. I found a position and polished my skills, focusing on developing unique abilities until I rose above others. At the end of the day, I am doing what I like and am well compensated for it.

An acquaintance does home improvement. He complains that the Mexicans are undercutting him on price. I suggested he develop a unique product - fine cabinetry, superior designs or quality, etc. He has changed nothing and still complains about not finding work and that the Mexicans are taking all his jobs. I still ask him to join me for lunch and have no problem knowing I'll pick up the tab.
I agree with you. We aren't entitled to be well paid just because we are good at something unless the person paying us values the work.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe if they could still work 40 hours a week (and more) without gov't interference, they wouldn't be complaining as much
You read the article - Congrats.
If these workers want to walk off the job - nobody is going to stop them, but they are "protesting" in the wrong place. They need to go to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and protest the new ObamaCare laws that are responsible for the cut in hours.

Quote:
More companies are hiring part-time workers at wages that average several dollars less than their full-time counterparts, according to the Economic Policy Institute, an economic research group. Its recent report found that low-wage worker income fell as much as 5% between 2006 and last year.
Protesting workers this week will demand $15 an hour on grounds that cutbacks in hours, constantly changing schedules, and lack of benefits like health care, paid sick leave, and vacation make it impossible to have a decent standard of living.
This is not "news" - these companies have been saying for a couple of years now that ObamaCare will force them to cut hours. The IRS now considers a 30 hour work week to be "full time" to comply with ObamaCare regulations. I don't think this was "intended" by the folks that crammed through ObamaCare, but it is the reality. The other reality is that we now have a culture of "gimme" and envy of those who have more. It's the "War on the Rich", when they can't even really define what "Rich" is. There seems to be this attitude of "If you have something, I should have it also and it's not fair to expect me to work for it."

As for COSTCO ..... they have a completely different business model. You have to buy a membership to shop at COSTCO, about 60 Million people/businesses have those memberships (starting at $55). Maybe McDonalds could sell Memberships to buy their fast food and then they could also have 60 Million people eat their food and higher wages for their employees. By the way ..... COSTCO is also using more "part time" people now also.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
People some time forget what money represents; that precious piece of paper. Money is just the trade of your valuable time and skills. If a person does not have the desired skills imposed by the market then that person has two options, 1) Acquired valuable skills that some other person or company hopefully will buy or 2) Live a life of poverty. Of course, this basic concept of money also needs to be sent to our beloved Ben Bernake.

Please, do not tell me that acquiring a valuable skill in the US is a difficult task. Yes, you will not be a doctor or investment banker, but what about a plumber, truck driver, electrician, mechanics, any of these trades will offer way more money that an useless art college degree. But people want the best designed clothes. The guy being interviewed in NBC today was wearing a Polo T-Shirt. Do you know how much an original Polo T-Shirt cost? 70$. The cost of one credit hour in any community college in FL or TX. Or what about that girl with that wonderful hair style? That's $100 USD. and I bet all of them have beautiful IPhone/Galaxy Phones with a monthly bill of $120 USD. Balls! Let them eat cake!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
People some time forget what money represents; that precious piece of paper. Money is just the trade of your valuable time and skills. If a person does not have the desired skills imposed by the market then that person has two options, 1) Acquired valuable skills that some other person or company hopefully will buy or 2) Live a life of poverty. Of course, this basic concept of money also needs to be sent to our beloved Ben Bernake.

Please, do not tell me that acquiring a valuable skill in the US is a difficult task. Yes, you will not be a doctor or investment banker, but what about a plumber, truck driver, electrician, mechanics, any of these trades will offer way more money that an useless art college degree. But people want the best designed clothes. The guy being interviewed in NBC today was wearing a Polo T-Shirt. Do you know how much an original Polo T-Shirt cost? 70$. The cost of one credit hour in any community college in FL or TX. Or what about that girl with that wonderful hair style? That's $100 USD. and I bet all of them have beautiful IPhone/Galaxy Phones with a monthly bill of $120 USD. Balls! Let them eat cake!

If you don't have the money - isn't that the original problem here? - for training, you're not going to become any of the above.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Let them strike. Once amnesty happens there's 11-20 million new immigrants that will take their place and not complain.

Maybe they should strike now to protest amnesty in the immigration bill.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My God though...all those kids running around! I'd lose it.

I work in corrections. Give me rapists and murderers any day.

sounds like gestapo!!!
Give me rapists and murderers any day what the hell is this country becoming..

what kind of pay do you get to want to work with rapist and murderers???

Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actual several in about 5 major cities did walk out yesterday but as I heard it they were only McDonals workers and most are part timers.

How many times does it have to be explained: most of the employees at these places are part timers, a huge % are under 21 years old and only working their first jobs, working part time while in school or are people who, for other reasons are not terribly hirable. They can get the min salary raised to $15 an hour, then those with more seniority will have to have their salary raised. why can't people understand, raising the min salary, especially to something like $15 an hour is totally nuts. You don't want to work for min wage, develop your skills, go back to school, stay on the job long enough to show a good work record. There is no reason to be content with a min wage job. And there is no way, someone lacking skills can expect to be hired at the same salary others, with experience gets.

??? Last I looked, 51% were under 25, this number has been trending downward and might be below 50% today. some of them are between 21 and 25, the under 21 iare not a huge %.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
I do not. I never eat at McDs. Mainly because it is God awful food. I rarely if ever shop at walmart as well.

I am always in Costco though,

Costco has free wifi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies