Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

We all know there is no way anyone can make something like that stick. If I get 10 applications in a week I can pick whoever I want to rent to. There is no "way" to prove I picked someone out of a hat to rent over someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Bzzzt. State by state. My single friend in NC was muscled out of several renting opportunities in favor of married couples and the law clearly states that unless you are a single parent, you have no right to (successfully) sue.

Family status is not a federally protected class.

"familial status" was added in 1988, it applies to households with children or with a person who is pregnant.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I thought the government forcing people to do things, like think of married and single people equally, was against the person who rents its liberty. You want on a big tear how liberty is paramount over the government forcing you do stuff here...or is it that renters are human and people that rent their homes, or manage properties, are something entirely different?

government has decided landlords cannot discriminate against families or individuals with children,, but they are still allowed to discriminate against childless adults.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We all know there is no way anyone can make something like that stick. If I get 10 applications in a week I can pick whoever I want to rent to. There is no "way" to prove I picked someone out of a hat to rent over someone else.

the government has more money than any landlord and can legally harass the ones who don't operate the way they want. heck, HUD has been fighting Westchester County for years because there aren't "enough" low income and/or nonwhite families with children living there due largely to the local zoning.

note that it is entirely okay to zone out childless adults, especially if they are poor and white...but when you zone out poor non-white families this administration has a hissy fit.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
As a landlord - I would be a lot more interested in references and a credit report than I would be in single/married.
Based on the experiences of my "single" daughter - this has also been her experience.

She thinks she got her current house based on her interest in gardening - the last renter let the yard go to wild.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,463,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
government has decided landlords cannot discriminate against families or individuals with children,, but they are still allowed to discriminate against childless adults.
No where in there does it say that you are not allowed to pick the single over the family, or that the government forces people to pick the family over the single, just that most people did.

Did you even read your own links?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 AM

59,122 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Housing Discrimination Against People Who Are Single: 4 Studies

In the first study, the choices were a married couple, a single woman, and a single man. If there were no bias, each would have been selected 33% of the time. Here are the actual results:

Study 1
70% married couple
18% single woman
12% single man

The married couple was favored overwhelmingly. (This result and all the others I will describe are statistically significant.)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ngle-4-studies

(various combinations of hypothetical people were tested, with a hypothetical married couple being overwhelmingly preferred to almost all other hypothetical possibilities tested, e.g. single woman, single man, cohabiting couple, etc, read for specifics)
Considering I don't believe ANYTHING you say, why should i believe this?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I don't blame the landlords... Married people are less likely to bring crime and less likely to damage property. Also, they are usually more responsible managing their funds.

Whether it's true or not, IDK. But I could believe it.
Less likely to have a bunch of "off the books" roommates, I'm thinking.

Single people aren't a protected class, are they?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
What you call "discrimnation", is what I call "making an informed decision". Don't you live with a bunch of singles? And doesn't your stuff get stolen?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
I have a rent house and I don't even want a male/female couple that are just living together... They tend to break up because the male can't seem to keep a job... truth is they are looking for a sugar momma .... and nine out of ten of them have served time as a guest of the state....I'm going thru that now.... and a single male, Never gonna happen....I turned down three college males... and I'm getting to old to put up this Crap any longer.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies