Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't see how my owning a 3-bedroom house jacks up your rent, that's absurd.

And even if it does, it's the free market at work.

If you buy a rental house and kick out the three renters in order to live in the house, you have just incrementally jacked up rents.

And there is no free market, because in a free market a developer could have built three tiny houses for three people, and government allowed only one house which could be occupied by one or by three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 AM

113 posts, read 101,465 times
I was renting with 2 other single males in their mid 20's a couple years ago. We were all teachers at the time, and could have afforded the rent for the houses in our price range between 2 of us fairly easily. Anyway, after calling, I was told no because they were looking for a family. I don't have a problem with that, but people with kids shouldn't have a legal recourse either.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
"familial status" was added in 1988, it applies to households with children or with a person who is pregnant.
Correct. I am talking about single males and females who are not pregnant nor have children.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Bzzzt. State by state. My single friend in NC was muscled out of several renting opportunities in favor of married couples and the law clearly states that unless you are a single parent, you have no right to (successfully) sue.

Family status is not a federally protected class.
Familial status is one of the specific protected classes listed in the FHA.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Familial status is one of the specific protected classes listed in the FHA.
Singles without children are not included.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
If you buy a rental house and kick out the three renters in order to live in the house, you have just incrementally jacked up rents.

And there is no free market, because in a free market a developer could have built three tiny houses for three people, and government allowed only one house which could be occupied by one or by three.

I didn't buy a damn rental house, I bought one from the estate of an elderly woman who had lived there by herself for many years.

If you don't like things the way they are write your Congressman, but leave me out of it.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 AM

808 posts, read 663,062 times
Quote:
Housing Discrimination Against People Who Are Single: 4 Studies

In the first study, the choices were a married couple, a single woman, and a single man. If there were no bias, each would have been selected 33% of the time. Here are the actual results:

Study 1
70% married couple
18% single woman
12% single man

The married couple was favored overwhelmingly. (This result and all the others I will describe are statistically significant.)

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ngle-4-studies

(various combinations of hypothetical people were tested, with a hypothetical married couple being overwhelmingly preferred to almost all other hypothetical possibilities tested, e.g. single woman, single man, cohabiting couple, etc, read for specifics)
that is true and absolutely logical.

it is also LEGAL.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
that is true and absolutely logical.

it is also LEGAL.
Yep. So long as the single person doesn't have children it is absolutely legal. Your state may vary.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I think when you look at neighborhoods that when someone moves and others move in married couples are always preferred even by others living there. Singles often mean more noise and less peace. Its no different I suspect in apartments with people living there or landlords. its based o their finding of where to live the lifestyle they want from other not following making different choices.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
I'm a single 62 year old renter. Do I belong in the same group as a single 20 year old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies