Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm opposed to ALL medical preparations, regardless of their medical value, if there any possibility that any person can use them recreationally. Ban them all, period. Time to win the war on drugs, once and for all.
Sure, because banning it will cause us to win the drug war. How long has this war been going now?

I suppose in order to maintain your intellectual consitency, you also want to ban tobacco and alchohol too.

Last edited by biggunsmallbrains; 08-13-2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 04:50 PM

471 posts, read 977,555 times
The Libertarian side of me has no problem with any substance being used by responsible adults...but wonder if a person fails an employment drug test for pot, can they just pull out their card and the boss will say "No problem, your hired!".....

Old 08-13-2013, 05:37 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
There are thousands of compounds in tobacco too (over 7000!)...would you also like to make that a schedule I drug and ban it too?

CDC - 2010 Surgeon General's Report - Chemicals in Tobacco Smoke - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Tobacco doesn't alter your behavior and isn't being used medicinally. I am concerned with something that is mind altering and is being used medicinally that contains thousands of compounds that do who knows what.

We need to identify the medicinal compounds in weed and make those available to those who need it. It may turn out that the ones that are beneficial are not even the ones that make people high with would reduce the risk of using weed. You never know until you actually take the time to identify which compounds do what.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Tobacco doesn't alter your behavior and isn't being used medicinally. I am concerned with something that is mind altering and is being used medicinally that contains thousands of compounds that do who knows what.

We need to identify the medicinal compounds in weed and make those available to those who need it.
No, tobacco just alters your life expectancy and the lifes of those around it.

Being concerned is normal but if a patient, especially a very sick patient, and their doctor agree on a course of action then who am I to deny that. Cocaine is considered safer by the DEA then pot...is that logical?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
However, there are those that say it is an ancient herb that has been passed down from generation to generation in which it was used to heal people. Is it really a healing tool? Is it really a tool to make the sick better?
Marijuana has not been tested enough to justify its use as a widespread experimental drug. Here in Canada, the College of Physicians and Surgeons has recently requested that pharmacies should stop supplying the drug due to inadequate testing, unknown side effects from use and questionable medical value. They requested that marijuana be subjected to the same kinds of rigorous testing that other pharmaceuticals are put through before being made available to the general public. As such, the Government of Canada has revoked marijuana growing privileges for individuals until such tests are completed. Between the lack of testing and the widespread abuse by those both involved and approved by the medical marijuana program, the Government has taken appropriate action to clamp down on the industry until a fill review can be completed. I have often wondered myself why so many people who have been approved to use medical marijuana seem to get routinely busted with a virtual plantation of marijuana plants coupled with possession of other illicit drugs.

As for being "an ancient herb that has been passed down from generation to generation in which it was used to heal people", let us not forget that deadly toxins such as mercury and arsenic were also traditionally used for a variety of medical uses including treating syphilis, improving complexion and prolonging life.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
The Libertarian side of me has no problem with any substance being used by responsible adults...but wonder if a person fails an employment drug test for pot, can they just pull out their card and the boss will say "No problem, your hired!".....
US govt has program that will help employers with employee insurance if they don't hire & if they fire MJ users. Employers are stupid if they go along because if people need *something* to make them feel better, they will choose pills &/or alcohol &/or tobacco, all of which often cause worse health problems.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm opposed to ALL medical preparations, regardless of their medical value, if there any possibility that any person can use them recreationally. Ban them all, period. Time to win the war on drugs, once and for all.
Dude . . . you really need to smoke A FAT ONE!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Marijuana has not been tested enough to justify its use as a widespread experimental drug.

As for being "an ancient herb that has been passed down from generation to generation in which it was used to heal people", let us not forget that deadly toxins such as mercury and arsenic were also traditionally used for a variety of medical uses including treating syphilis, improving complexion and prolonging life.
But you seem to have forgotten that the "ancient herb that has been passed down from generation to generation in which it was used to heal people" has never in aaaaaaaaall that time and to the present, been proven to be harmful. What tests do you figure still need doing?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

We need to identify the medicinal compounds in weed and make those available to those who need it. It may turn out that the ones that are beneficial are not even the ones that make people high with would reduce the risk of using weed. You never know until you actually take the time to identify which compounds do what.
Ever seen a nicotine addict when they've run out of cigs...you know, the ones who comb through the ashtrays for butts?..the poor addicts?nicotine alters behaviors, I think...absolutely. The compounds in marijuana are well know and have been for years...How Medical Marijuana Works | Composition of Marijuana

Old 08-13-2013, 08:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Wow let's see how long this goes because no one seems persuaded to see the other side's points. What really pisses me off is mandatory mins sentences drug dealers longer that rapists and child molestors no one can argue for that unless you are a total idiot.

And yes I was pleased to see Holder talking about mandatory mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies