Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Which is why you don't see a push to isolate the medically beneficial compounds and market them under the protection of the FDA. That might result in the medical benefit without the high.
Right. Without the high, no one would use it. Back in the day we had other wonder drugs like heroin, morphine and cocaine, which cured almost every illness, even toothache, and they were perfectly legal until peope realized their were playing with fire.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Which is why you don't see a push to isolate the medically beneficial compounds and market them under the protection of the FDA. That might result in the medical benefit without the high.

And with doing so, you are therefore synthesizing it. Take the coca plant for instance. The Inca Indians chewed the leaves which would give them energy. That was probably not a bad thing. Then we come along, cut it with all sorts of toxic materials, and then comes cocaine, a highly dangerous, highly addictive drug. No thanks! Keep it natural. Buzz and all.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, Since narcs say they only seize about 10% of the underground drug market, nothing is fixed by banning it. Once again, I would feel safer with marijuana legalized, so it's trade could be in open view and scrutiny of the public and law enforcement officers, like alcohol, while free of violence from gang members at odds over turf. Unlike alcohol, no one ever overdosed and died from too much marijuana.
I agree. But some of us love to choose to not learn from history and therefore we repeat it, which is the definition of insanity! And I can't think of one instance where someone overdosed from consuming too much cannabis. It's virtually impossible! You would fall asleep before it would even happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Right. Without the high, no one would use it. Back in the day we had other wonder drugs like heroin, morphine and cocaine, which cured almost every illness, even toothache, and they were perfectly legal until peope realized their were playing with fire.
Heroin and morphine are opiates, powerful narcotics, and the potential to be highly physically addictive. You cannot even compare them to cannabis! Not to mention cannabis is NOT a narcotic, no matter what the government or Big Pharma tells you!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:18 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
The problem with this argument is that cocaine, morphine, and heroin all have demonstrably serious side-effects. Marijuana, on the other hand, was made illegal due to racism and crony corporatism.

Let's take a look at some quotes from Harry J. Anslinger, who was at the forefront of marijuana prohibition in the 1930's:

Quote:
There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.
Quote:
Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men.
Quote:
...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.
This points out the racism that was at the core of the persecution of marijuana users in the thirties. Here are a couple more that show the utter lack of knowledge which contributed to prohibition:

Quote:
Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.
Quote:
Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.
Quote:
You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother.
Pay attention: these are quotes from the man who led the charge to prohibit marijuana.

On the crony corporatism side, one of Anslinger's main allies was William Randolph Hearst, who, along with the Dupont family, were waging a smear campaign against marijuana in an effort to remove hemp as an alternative fiber source, thereby eliminating competition for themselves.

Please explain how logic has anything to do with the prohibition of marijuana.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, Since narcs say they only seize about 10% of the underground drug market, nothing is fixed by banning it. Once again, I would feel safer with marijuana legalized, so it's trade could be in open view and scrutiny of the public and law enforcement officers, like alcohol, while free of violence from gang members at odds over turf. Unlike alcohol, no one ever overdosed and died from too much marijuana.
The issue with this is that we can now detain anyone in posession. If it's legal, how do we determine if someone is too high? What is the definition of too high? Right now, we can detain them if they're high at all and get them off the road.

The falacy of your drug dealing argument is simply that the dealers will still push drugsincluding pot. Pot is not only thing they market. If they do move away from pot, they will just move to the next easily marketable drug. It is very possible we will make the drug pushing problem worse. And you're assuming they'll be above board about their dealings and not wanting to do things like avoid paying taxes. Do you really think drug dealers are honest?

We also need the FDA involved here to do some testing to find out if pot really does have medicinal uses. For the user, it's hard to separate the high from medical benefit and there is the placebo effect to elminate. For medical purposes, I'd love to see the pharma companies isolate the compounds that are beneficial and market just those. That could eliminate people using pot to get high under the guise of needing it medically.

I'd also be concerned with ease of access for children. If it's legal to grow pot in your back yard, what's to stop your neighbor's 10 year old from helping himself? Kids and teens should not be using drugs. Now when I'm 80 and waiting around to check out in the old folks home, you can just legalize everything, lol. At that point in my life, the idea of using mind altering drugs actually sounds good. I really don't get it in the prime of your life. Life is too short. I'm hoping to find a doctory who's willing to let me experiment with all kinds of crap when I'm waiting to check out and have no purpose left in life.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-14-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
All the pot addicts I know drive stoned routinely. I don't think they see anything wrong with it, because for them feeling stoned is same as feeling normal.
Bull.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Same here. I see the same problesm with pot we have with alcohol so I see no reason to legalize pot. Nothing is fixed by legalizing it.
Then make alcohol illegal.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Then make alcohol illegal.
It is much easier to keep something illegal than make something that is legal illegal but you are welcome to try.

One serious issue with pot is that there are no tests to determine how high you are and whether or not pot use has impaired your ability. A blood or urine test only shows that you have used. They don't give information on how high or how impaired you are. IMO, this creates a problem for who to release and allow back on the road and who to arrest. I see lots of charges of targeting and racisim and whatever. With pot illegal, there is no gray area. I can imagine a legal nightmare for anyone causing an accident who has used recently enough to trip a test. Maybe you didn't use the day of the accident but you did the day before that and you're still testing positive.

Too many flies in the ointment here given there is no reason to legalize pot. There simply is no benefit to society in having it legal and all you have to do to avoid being arrested for pot use is not use. Why is that so difficult for pot users? Is it that tough to quit using?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-14-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It is much easier to keep something illegal than make something that is legal illegal but you are welcome to try.
Why don't you try? You're the one whining about impaired driving while smoking pot. What do you think happens with alcohol, which is legal? Let me guess, you're a drunk driver? That's why you have no interest in making alcohol illegal? That's what I thought.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The issue with this is that we can now detain anyone in posession. If it's legal, how do we determine if someone is too high? What is the definition of too high? Right now, we can detain them if they're high at all and get them off the road.

Any cop that is any good at his job should be able to tell if someone is truly in no shape to drive.

The falacy of your drug dealing argument is simply that the dealers will still push drugsincluding pot. Pot is not only thing they market. If they do move away from pot, they will just move to the next easily marketable drug. It is very possible we will make the drug pushing problem worse. And you're assuming they'll be above board about their dealings and not wanting to do things like avoid paying taxes. Do you really think drug dealers are honest?

So what? At least we're not wasting our tax dollars and valuable resources by tying up law enforcment with prosecuting people over possession, cultivation, distribution, and consumption of something that grows out of the freakin' ground!

We also need the FDA involved here to do some testing to find out if pot really does have medicinal uses. For the user, it's hard to separate the high from medical benefit and there is the placebo effect to elminate. For medical purposes, I'd love to see the pharma companies isolate the compounds that are beneficial and market just those. That could eliminate people using pot to get high under the guise of needing it medically.

I'd also be concerned with ease of access for children. If it's legal to grow pot in your back yard, what's to stop your neighbor's 10 year old from helping himself? Kids and teens should not be using drugs. Now when I'm 80 and waiting around to check out in the old folks home, you can just legalize everything, lol.
I don't trust the FDA as far as I can throw them! Not to mention they regulate cigarettes and alcohol, which are both harmful yet legal substances, and a bunch of other crap that goes into our food! I agree with you that kids and teens shouldn't partake in mind altering substances. But ask any teenager what is easier to get these days? Alcohol? Cigarettes? Pot? If you said pot, you would be correct, because due to it's illegal status, it is underground, and therefore drug dealers don't ID. Legalize it, and have the same laws with alcohol, 21 and up. Some kids will still party under age, but with legalization, it will make it harder to obtain if you're under age.

Furthermore, if it comes down to it, I'd rather kids be smoking weed than doing some of the s*** they're doing now, like crushing and snorting pain pills, or adderal, or drinking cough syrup to catch a buzz. That is a sure fire way to end up DEAD!!!! When I was in high school, abuse of opiates was unheard of! Cocaine was not around. We certainly didn't have fake pot like Spice, or bath salts, or meth. It was mostly alcohol, cigarettes and weed. Very rarely LSD came into play, but not too many people messed around with that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies