Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is a better place to live?
Europe 61 37.20%
America 103 62.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The stats speak for themselves. You far more likely to become a victim of a violent crime in Europe than in US.
Oh, do show me those stats because several of us have posted stats that contradict your statement:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
World Map - Top Ten Countries With Highest Reported Crime Rates

NationMaster - Crime stats: Germany vs United States

I'd be very interested in your refutation.

BTW, violence happens in the US after sports events:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...ObJ_story.html
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ers-game_n.htm

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-13-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I really thought that was common courtesy. Do Americans introduce themselves with "Hey, my name is Rick. I make 150k a year."?
Actually, they do

My name is XXXXX, I'm a/an xxxxxxx and I drive yyyy, Hello, what about you?

I'm not saying it's wrong, just very troubling as a way to introduce oneself! But, then, I accept it.

We tend to just get conversations go on other ways that might be as troubling to other cultures, I guess!

Last edited by personne; 08-13-2013 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Actually, they do

My name is XXXXX, I'm a/an xxxxxxx and I drive yyyy, Hello, what about you?

I'm not saying it's wrong, just very troubling.

We tend to just get conversations go on other ways that might be as troubling to other cultures, I guess!
Lol what? Another USA expert I see.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Why would you need to discuss anything, when you can just stare into your pint and mind you own business.

Well, why would you need to talk about money?

Not about the pint business, but why would one have as first subject of conversation their pay check?

Aren't there many, many more subjects to talk about?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol what? Another USA expert I see.
Ahem, no. Just my experience with both continents and my life so far...

But, I have seen this tendency to defend one's country just as I have seen the adverse in French people (wouldn't dare to speak about european people, whoever they might be as a group).

Now if you're not interested in our learning from one another, please don't mind, I would love to hear from you. That's exactly what I'm looking for also!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Too many Americans are predisposed into beliefs that America is the greatest at everything. The "Americans can do no wrong mentality" needs to be eradicated.

I find it curious that the world generally does not view America in a positive light anymore yet Americans remain defiant.
As I stated earlier it is time America looks in the mirror.
A new global index came out, as to which countries are the best places to be a parent. Typically, the US didn't make it anywhere near the top of the list. It's the usual suspects....the Nordic countries, France, Canada.
Best countries for working moms (and dads!) - Iceland (1) - CNNMoney
The US does make it in the top five if you're measuring the number of people jailed, maternal mortality and obesity.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Ahem, no. Just my experience with both continents and my life so far...

But, I have seen this tendency to defend one's country just as I have seen the adverse in French people (wouldn't dare to speak about european people, whoever they might be as a group).

Now if you're not interested in our learning from one another, please don't mind, I would love to hear from you. That's exactly what I'm looking for also!
So that wasn't a joke? How do the French greet each other?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, do show me those stats because several of us have posted stats that contradict your statement:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those maps and tables allow a correct comparison (regardless of which sides wants to see their point backed up) because of various reasons. According to the map for instance South Africa would be safer than Germany, which is certainly not the case

Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

I am glad you are interested, because those stats were already posted. You are posting "stats" saying US has 11 million crimes reported, which makes US look really bad compared to Norway because we hae twice as many crimes as they have people. Your 'stats' are meaningless, because it is a given that countries with more people have more crimes. Look up per capita crime rates

The truth is that you are four times more likely to become a victim of crime in UK than in US

In the UK, there are 2,034 offences per 100,000 people, way ahead of second-placed Austria with a rate of 1,677.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I am glad you are interested, because those stats were already posted. You are posting "stats" saying US has 11 million crimes reportrd, which makes US look really bad compared to Norway because we hae twice as many crimes as they have people. Your 'stats' are meaningless, because it is a given that countries with more people have more crimes. Look up per capita crime rates

The truth is that you are four times more likely to become a victim of crime in UK than in US

In the UK, there are 2,034 offences per 100,000 people, way ahead of second-placed Austria with a rate of 1,677.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.
What's with these Europe vs US debates?
Australia is clearly the best place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies