Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
No doubt a huge increase in people calling out sick when they're really not.
Write them up.
If they use up all their sick days, they're stuck with unpaid days.

While it can happen, it's generally not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And again, after the enacted that system the unemployment rate among young Australians skyrocketed as well as the number of young Australians who worked unpaid jobs for the sake of experience. Again, look at all of the facts instead of cherry picking the ones that support what you want to believe.

Also, why do you keep ignoring taxes? Australia's tax rate is extremely higher than it is in the US.
Yes their income tax is higher. Not much higher in the low income brackets though. Almost the same. Their corporate taxes are LOWER than here.

The unemployment rates for young employees that went up was for ages between 15 and 19. They're still in school! Maybe thats why it went up. Maybe they just don't want to work. Maybe they switched to part-time(casual) which exempts them from these benefits.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Its easy... you pay them when they are sick and can't come to work, and then they pay you the total cost of hiring a temp to fulfill their job while they are gone... how about it? Note: Cost of hiring a temp MAY be more than the hourly wage of their job...

Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its easy... you pay them when they are sick and can't come to work, and then they pay you the total cost of hiring a temp to fulfill their job while they are gone... how about it? Note: Cost of hiring a temp MAY be more than the hourly wage of their job...
Or just have a virus spread around and get numerous staff ill and have them all call in sick. Lower production and have your clients wait on you and their clients on them......
And spread it your customers who can pass it to their colleagues and family, keep their kids out of school.

Big Pharma loves you.
Don't worry, Obamacare will take care of us.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How do you handle it with your employees?
The OP doesn't have any so folks like the OP think all this is free, people who own businesses are rich and the world owes them something.. Next question. They have zero understanding of what it takes to run a successful business.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
For any one that supports it(or not), found this link to the Healthy Families Act that ask for up to 7 days a year to be accrued.

Theres a link in there to contact your Senators.

National Partnership for Women & Families: About Us

One of the few things I disagree with most Republicans and Libertarians on seeing as I support it. Though I do know many Republicans that support it.

What about all those self employed people. How do they get 7 days paid.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
For any one that supports it(or not), found this link to the Healthy Families Act that ask for up to 7 days a year to be accrued.

Theres a link in there to contact your Senators.

National Partnership for Women & Families: About Us

One of the few things I disagree with most Republicans and Libertarians on seeing as I support it. Though I do know many Republicans that support it.
I mean, yeah, there should be.

For me this would do nothing. My sick days are maxed out. I can never use them. What we need is 30 days of mandated *vacation* time per year.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Or just have a virus spread around and get numerous staff ill and have them all call in sick. Lower production and have your clients wait on you and their clients on them......
And spread it your customers who can pass it to their colleagues and family, keep their kids out of school.
I'd rep you for this part, if I could do a partial rep.

You're right, people coming to work sick make others sick and that can be bad for business.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Or they could mesh vacation and sick time in one big pot calling the new time "paid time off".

No sick days here, never has been, but we have PTO.

I use it for emergencies such as unexpected car repairs and other household emergencies.
I take 1 or two days out of ten for myself of those just because......

Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I did, and LOVED it. As someone that rarely gets sick (no, I don't go to work when I'm sick just to avoid getting a sick day), I hated losing sick time every year while my unhealthy co-workers got an extra week off.
How do you lose sick time?

Currently, our policy is to stay home when sick and come in when you are better. There are no allotted days awarded as sick days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies