Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Based on the mindset you've displayed here, I would venture to guess that you wouldn't know the difference.
Do you support the 1st amendment of the United States?

Bill of Rights Transcript Text
Quote:
Amendment I Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanduskyShowerAttendant View Post
Do you know the difference? Because based on the mindset you have displayed here, you believe it has already happened? So, has it happened? Does the government monitor us 24/7? Is it illegal to even think negative things about the government?
Don't be so obtuse, unless you're playing a joke here.
Yes, the government does monitor you 24/7. Ever heard of Echelon? Ever heard of the recent uproar over the NSA?
It may not be illegal to think negatively about the government, but don't be too vocal about anything important, since the Patriot Act is still in effect.
You're like the proverbial frog sitting in the pot of water.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
List other similarities between the current U.S. government and 1984. Not just the obvious ones about surveillance and freedom of speech. This isn't a joke, I want to hear this. Does the government watch your through your TV? Does 85% of the population live in poverty? Atomic Wars? Newspeak?
What does poverty or atomic wars have to do with the Constitution? You're the one who mentioned 1984, not me.
Newspeak is another term for political correctness, so think that one over.
If you're not alarmed by the violations of the first and fourth amendments, then I really have little to discuss with you. You're a lost cause and certainly not someone who can lay claim to descendancy in spirit with the Founders.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I brought up 1984, but you are the one who said the government was already like it. So I was just curious as to how you saw it that way, beyond the obvious correlations. I never claimed to be in spirit with the Founders. They sought revolution and change from an oppressive system of government. I am content where I am. And besides, what do you care? You're from Canada.
Read back. I said if the government did turn things into 1984, you'd not know the difference.
Yes, the Founders sought revolution from an oppressive system of government and you, quite apparently, seek to hide under the "protective" mantle of tyranny in its ascendancy.
Don't play the Canada card, since that just shows me you're grasping at straws. I would likely make a better American than about 75% of Americans now. I've even been told this by my Americans friends.
One of my Ohio friends once lamented to me how pathetic a reflection it was on the U.S. that a Canadian should know more about the American system than most Americans care to.
I was born in the wrong country, I think. Perhaps the wrong century too, since I'd be shoulder to shoulder with the Continentals.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I wasn't playing a card, I was just curious as to why you cared so much. And you can call it tyranny if you want, but I enjoy my freedom. Call me a bad American if you want, I know I'm a great citizen. And don't say something like "Freedom in America=tyranny". That won't hold water.
You don't even really make much sense. A great citizen...whatever that means.
Freedom in America equals tyranny? No, you've got it all turned around. You're heading into tyranny and there is NO freedom in that place. Freedoms are being eaten away while you sit and pat yourself on the back for being a "great citizen".
I'll reiterate in a different form something I mentioned earlier. You're of the all too prevalent ilk who believe freedom consists of watching TV and shopping. I'll also add working 25-35% of the year to support the government machine. That's what's know as indentured servitude (slavery). So go on and paste your flag onto your car. I'm impressed.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
You don't even really make much sense. A great citizen...whatever that means.
Freedom in America equals tyranny? No, you've got it all turned around. You're heading into tyranny and there is NO freedom in that place. Freedoms are being eaten away while you sit and pat yourself on the back for being a "great citizen".
I'll reiterate in a different form something I mentioned earlier. You're of the all too prevalent ilk who believe freedom consists of watching TV and shopping. I'll also add working 25-35% of the year to support the government machine. That's what's know as indentured servitude (slavery). So go on and paste your flag onto your car. I'm impressed.
Cool when should we expect Tyranny to arrive?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
You mentioned indentured servitude. How working and paying taxes fuels the government machine. So, only the U.S. does that? Do you not pay taxes? And my definition of freedom reaches beyond just watching TV and shopping. I am no hedonist. I have the freedom to start a business, preach my religion, marry whoever I want (in certain states that is, I'll give you that one), and I'm free to give up my citizenship anytime. Maybe I'll come up and visit, since you apparently don't have to pay taxes or have a job.
I'm done with you. You talk in circles and never seem to have anything sink into your head. Now you're off on some silly tangent about Canada having no tax. This discussion is about the U.S. (in case you missed that). Canada doesn't have the U.S. Constitution (I wish we had).
Continue on with red herrings and strawmen. I'm no longer interested. One can only argue for so long until he realizes he's talking to a the rational equivalent of a rock. All I have left to say is, Bonsoir Pierre.

Now watch him come back and tell me his name isn't Pierre (not realizing the meaning of the name).

Last edited by Patton360; 08-21-2013 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: typo correction

Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I think we have gotten away from the heart of this post. The U.S. government has never done me wrong, and I love it.
Careful! that is not tolerated here!
Oh but we still support the constitution of the United States which includes freedom of speech!

Old 08-21-2013, 11:04 PM

Tesla's Success Is the Result of Politics and Subsidies - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

Thank you Department of Energy for supporting Tesla which makes the Model S

Amazing results
NHTSA tests show Model S safest car | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

also thank you NHTSA for conducting these tests and keeping our roads safe.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
You need to travel more in the world to realize how much better other nations are basically in terms of everything. Don't be brainwashed.

Public transportation does not exist or lack thereof except in some large cities. Most Americans are dependent on car. Been to Europe? Nah don't think so. We have no high speed trains as an example.
Most bridges, highways and local roads are very old and needs to be replaced/fixed. Potholes and cracks on many roads, something unseen in most of Europe even in Scandinavia with colder and snowier climate.

15% live at or below poverty, which is very high percentage for a developed nation. It should be less than 5%.
The person who previously said "Our government waste most of our taxpayers money on foreign aid to our enemies, wars, unnecessary military, etc. while millions and millions of Americans live under poverty, 50 million without health insurance, record number of people in need of food stamp, horrible/outdated infrastructure, and more mess." is now saying don't be brainwashed.

I hate to break it to you, but you're brainwashed yourself. Turn off MSNBC, put your copy of Marx's dialectic away, and look at reality for a change.

Taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor only works until the rich run out of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies