Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:27 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
California envy? What other explanation for the popularity of bashing the state everyone seems to want to move to at some point in their lives. Whatever problems CA has defy the obsessive nature of this phenom. I really don't get it but am always amused, especially when it's done by someone who came west to live their California Dream and had to bail because it didn't work out. Better to blame CA than.....
It isn't the dreamers who are making the stink. That has and always be part of California: those youngsters going out West to see if what was sold to them on tv is true.

It's the 3rd, 4th, and so-on generation Californians whose family moved out here when cows and vineyards outnumbered people. They never thought the good times would end. It was incredibly naive to think a state with this kind of beauty and opportunity would not suffer massive growing pains at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:28 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
California envy? What other explanation for the popularity of bashing the state everyone seems to want to move to at some point in their lives. Whatever problems CA has defy the obsessive nature of this phenom. I really don't get it but am always amused, especially when it's done by someone who came west to live their California Dream and had to bail because it didn't work out. Better to blame CA than.....
**Then

But I guess the education system there is also a part of the problem. Sure, a lot of people bash the state just because it can be pretty far out in the headlines but let's face it, the state is dying, you're just not personally feeling it yet. That could be because you planned your life correctly, are "well off", or simply work for the govt. No matter; by the numbers, the state is CLOSE to reaching a point that will be extremely difficult to get back up from if ever.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I believe in personal responsibility.. What I don't believe in is grand theft!! I've sat and watched the deterioration of California for the last 20 years. (Fortunately I left and get the opportunity to only go there on business and look from the outside, in.) The situation that is being created in the state is unsustainable, but good luck... Care to bet on whether you can plan on another tax increase soon??
Unsustainable to who?????????

Read the thread. I have 2 degrees in criminal justice. I speak Spanish. I work in the public sector.

I'm just fine and will be for the foreseeable future. That's the difference between me and the 4th generation complainers: I know it can end at anytime. I grew up in the Rust Belt.

I know I'm taxed to death. I don't care! Ever try spending a day for fun in Cleveland?

My God man, Cleveland!!!!!

Where do you live now?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
**Then

But I guess the education system there is also a part of the problem. Sure, a lot of people bash the state just because it can be pretty far out in the headlines but let's face it, the state is dying, you're just not personally feeling it yet. That could be because you planned your life correctly, are "well off", or simply work for the govt. No matter; by the numbers, the state is CLOSE to reaching a point that will be extremely difficult to get back up from if ever.
Ah, so you admit personal responsibility is key.

Now we are getting somewhere!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Read the thread. I have 2 degrees in criminal justice. I speak Spanish. I work in the public sector.

I'm just fine and will be for the foreseeable future. That's the difference between me and the 4th generation complainers: I know it can end at anytime. I grew up in the Rust Belt.

I know I'm taxed to death. I don't care! Ever try spending a day for fun in Cleveland?

Where do you live now?
So your logic is, because you're on the dole and everything is just okay right now, it's okay to let everything continue sliding down the cliff? Do you somehow think that because you're in the public sector, you're on their side and won't eventually get f*cked like everyone else?

That's idiotic.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:

Where do you live now?
Well, I'm glad you're having fun.... Since your degrees are in criminal justice I can assume that your accounting credentials are somewhat questionable. California is circling the bowel, much the same as Detroit was a few years ago. The bonds that the state is defecit spending on will eventually dry up (much the same as the rust belt) and public services will be the first to suffer the impact. I wouldn't unpack if I were you.. Good Luck... Oh, yeah, I'm in Texas.. (No state income tax and a substantial budget surplus) Enjoy...

Old 08-24-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
So your logic is, because you're on the dole and everything is just okay right now, it's okay to let everything continue sliding down the cliff? Do you somehow think that because you're in the public sector, you're on their side and won't eventually get f*cked like everyone else?

That's idiotic.
I'm not "on the dole" any more than you are. Don't be so dramatic.

Don't hate the player my friend...hate the game.

You don't think I know I rolled in on a good situation? You don't think I know the previous generations here got f*cked and that I will too if I don't keep my eyes open?

I know exactly what I gave up to live here and what I gained. I'm not going to throw a hissy fit like the long term folks when circumstances start to crimp my style.

If you believed in the government or the private sector (which are one in the same) to keep the gravy train rolling then that's your problem.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Well, I'm glad you're having fun.... Since your degrees are in criminal justice I can assume that your accounting credentials are somewhat questionable. California is circling the bowel, much the same as Detroit was a few years ago. The bonds that the state is defecit spending on will eventually dry up (much the same as the rust belt) and public services will be the first to suffer the impact. I wouldn't unpack if I were you.. Good Luck... Oh, yeah, I'm in Texas.. (No state income tax and a substantial budget surplus) Enjoy...
Fantastic. You're in the flavor of the week state after California's luster wore off. Sounds like you went the path of least resistance again. But you do realize that if a state as great as California was can fall from grace Texas can too? Are you going to b-itch about not being able to adapt when it goes down?

Don't worry about my job either. I've turned down 5 jobs in the private sector since I've been here (from resumes I put in last winter when I decided to come out here). I'm not a mainstream conservative who blames the public sector for all my ills. I'm also not a mainstream liberal who blames the private sector for all my ills. I'm in charge of my life.

Last edited by No_Recess; 08-24-2013 at 01:13 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 AM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It looks good to me despite all the right wing whining about "they won't do things my way!"
You don't live according to your screen name do you? Kalifornia is a train wreck and considering your illegals will out number Americans shortly which means you will have more takers and low wage earners than producers added to the fact you owe hundreds of Billions in unfunded liabilities I would say that..

Spoiler
YOU ARE ROYALY SCREWED

Old 08-24-2013, 01:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Been a resident for 7 months.

It's going thru a cultural change. Those who can't/refuse to adapt are the ones complaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm new to California, but if we all... like... change, and stuff... things will work out!

Hogwash

I'm 3rd generation Californian... and you are just another liberal transplant who refuses to adapt to the reality that saving money is as important as trees, wildlife, and water.

One more strike against our beautiful state.
Quote:
Uh no.

I got two degrees in Criminal Justice. Learned Spanish. Then I took a job in the public sector. This state is gold to someone like me...right now.

I didn't overtly plan it that way but the opportunity presented itself. You're 3rd generation and entrenched in the state. Did your family buy land that is now worth 20X what they paid? You know 3rd generation folks in Milwaukee or Flint or Toledo don't have that advantage. Houses they bought post-war are worth nothing now.

I could have stayed in the Rust Belt and would be saving a ton of bank. I can't afford a car. I have a modest studio apartment. What I pay in rent could buy me the city of Akron twice over. I can't afford cable. I can't go out to eat. I spend ZERO dollars on entertainment.

But I live in the most beautiful place in the country. I'm 6 minutes to the beach.

Yes, I don't have a wife/kids/home. But I wouldn't think about trying that out here.

The taxes are horrible. Crime in certain areas is beyond acceptable. I won't dispute your list. I'm no fan of capitalism but that doesn't mean I didn't learn how it works. It's foolish to think the good times are gonna roll forever for certain demographics.

Go invest where I grew up in the Rust Belt. It's been hell for 30+ years as California boomed. Maybe they're due.
Uh, Yes! You do realize that you just confirmed what I suspected... right?

I don't even need to itemize everything that is wrong with your diatribe, as you've done it for me. The contradictions are bountiful.

I live 15 minutes from the beach; I surfed in the morning and skied in the afternoon. House values have gone up 20X because schleps like you move here and drive the prices up.

BTW, I will soon have a 4/2 with pool, hot tub, and RV parking available to rent. Are you interested?

See, some people are smart enough to leave when things get bad, moving away from the looming disaster. Others move TOWARD an imploding disaster and believe they can "wish" the bad away.

But then I've only lived here all my life, so what do I know about anything here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies