Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:44 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
The problem is not that the apartment is subsidized, it is that cigarette smoke travels through doorways and open windows and through vents and across lanais. Wafts of cigarette smoke from Apartment A will end up in Apartment B. Many buildings/apartments/condos are going "smoke free" due to the unhealthful nuisance of cigarette smoke, and it is not just buildings that are subsidized. BUT THE FIX IS SO EASY .... E Cigs for indoors or when near other tenants' apartments.

Smokers who cannot think of others = "Let my smoke bother you I don't care."
Well, thank you, thank you. You've just confirmed one of the points of my previous post about what liars authoritarian ideologues really are, because you see, it is most certainly the "publicly subsidized" excuse that is being used to justify such intrusion into these people's homes, and dictating to them what behavior is forbidden. Nevertheless, contrary to the irrational attitudes, tobacco smoke is not sarin gas. And the alleged "dangers" of second hand smoke is just another overt fraud that requires total intellectual incompetence for the person who believes such nonsense ... very similar to the planetary danger posed by CO2. The dichotomy inbuilt into the liberal mind can be found in the fact that they are both the most prolific purchasers AND salesmen of every brand of "snake oil" that comes along.

Did I mention that they are so easily led by their noses too (pun intended)? E-Cigarettes ... brilliant idea ... lets do away with the tobacco farmer, and the entire tobacco industry, and let the pharmaceutical industry have total monopoly on the distribution of cigarette replacements too! They'll be happy to step in and "help" promote health with their nicotine products a many ... patches, gum, lozenges, and now E-Cigarettes. And it's no accident that the costs of these products mirror the costs of the real thing, even with the enormous amount of sin tax tacked on tobacco. No coincidence at all ... and it's no secret or coincidence that big pharma exercises total monopoly over matters of health ... from scientific studies, to the journals that publish the results ... to the structure and delivery of all medical treatments. So, if these pharmaceutical corporations decide that tobacco is akin to mustard gas, that is the message that will be promoted .... that they stand to reap the benefits in providing the "alternative" to tobacco is purely incidental, I'm sure.

Now the truth ..... it wasn't that long ago that the majority ... even the majority of non-smokers ... really had no problem with smokers and tobacco smoke, other than a very small minority finding the smell unpleasant .. and to be truthful, the smell of cigarettes today are nothing like they were 40 years ago when cigarettes were actually made from tobacco. What? You mean you aren't aware of the fact that today's manufactured cigarettes aren't really made of tobacco? That's right .... they are (like many things are today) nothing but cheap, artificial versions of the former real thing. They are now made of "sheet tobacco" which is a mixture of processed stems and seeds and crap and chemicals not unlike the process of manufacturing paper products .... the mixture pressed and rolled out into sheets, and then shredded to appear like tobacco leaf shredded. To make matters worse, the actual tobacco byproduct components accounts for only about 50% of the content of a cigarette, while the balance is a stew of chemicals, flavorings and added nicotine, since this concoction now being called tobacco doesn't contain enough of the necessary nicotine to satisfy the smoker. So it's no wonder people find the smell unpleasant .... why would anyone expect burning crap to smell like anything other than burning crap?

To illustrate the point ... I roll my own cigarettes, using pure, unadulterated tobacco, just like the cigarettes of old were made of, and guess what? Several of my non-smoking friends are astounded by the fact that they don't find my cigarettes offensive at all ... in fact, a few have said they are completely surprised to find the aroma un-offensive, and somewhat mildly pleasant. Oh noes .... not pleasant ... surely they are just humoring and appeasing me, right? You don't know my friends ... they'd have no qualms about telling me to put out my cigarette if it actually bothered them ... no hesitations at all.

Tell me though ... have all of you tobacco haters never had a grandfather or someone close that smoked a pipe which left a very pleasing fragrance lingering in the air? I find that hard to believe. But therein lies the evidence of the majority of the foul odor of cigarettes being the product of chemicals and crap, most of which comes from the pharmaceutical/chemical industry that now wants 100% of the market, rather than just the 50+% they have now. They want to eliminate this middle man called tobacco.

Of course, one of the real interesting examples of how the industry and government cares so much about the health of these poor misguided tobacco addicts is the inclusion of fire retardant chemicals in the cigarettes to make them a little "safer" .... yum, yum ... I'm sure that inhaling chemical fire retardant is far less unhealthy than the natural tobacco plant.

But I hold no illusion regarding the fact that nothing anyone can say will have any impact whatsoever on the anti-smoking zealots opinions .... including the FACT that there has never been one actual laboratory study that involved first hand tobacco smoke causing any disease in an animal or human. Not one. All of the alleged health risks are propaganda based on pure speculation and some rather dubious statistical analysis that automatically declares correlation to be synonymous with causation. And even the data used is selective to the point of reaching preconceived conclusion. So the load of manure about the dangers of 2nd hand smoke is just that ... a steaming pile of manure that smells a thousand times worse than the chemical sticks they call cigarettes these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM

The most important point being lost in this story of one old man and his wife being persecuted over cigarettes is that this elderly gentleman's last days on earth are being made miserable by the soulless and conscience-less who promote this demagoguery, who care not one iota about the pain they inflict on others, while frequently targeting the most vulnerable, which seems to offer them added satisfaction. These "rules are rules" cretins may be the most despicable forms of life on our planet ... like wolves in sheep's clothing, they present themselves as the do-gooders, when they are in fact vile little worms who gravitate toward positions and occupations which allow them the outlet to express their despotic natures to varying degrees. It's not just the 1%, or the oligarchs and kings of the world who seek and attain power over others .... there is a long line of such filthy self righteous scum, with only a limited number of those "top spots" available. So, do as they must, they resign themselves to accept the highest point on the totem pole of authority available to them, from sport coaches who enjoy running his athletes to the point of vomiting and passing out, under the guise of building "character" and "work ethic", to those who may assume the role of head of Homeowner's Associations notorious for their obnoxious exercise of authority on the tiniest of technicality to impose their will on others.

A somewhat similar situation was targeted at my dearly departed mother a few years back by her HOA. She received a letter of reprimand for not having the prescribed number of trees (2) in the front yard, according to the "rules" of the association, and that she needed to replace that missing tree with one of the acceptable and approved varieties, which of course included the dimensions of a partially mature tree, not a sapling. This of course could incur significant costs to have such a mature tree transported and transplanted ... but the real insult was that she had purchased the property exactly as is, without such a second tree present, as easily seen in the MLS listing photos of the property. The response was, rules are rules, and their oversight in not having the former owner comply with the rules was no free pass for this 74 year old on a fixed income. Spend the money old lady ... whether you can afford it or not, else we must take legal action against you which could include liens or even foreclosure under the rules! This was the position taken by these demagogues, who cared not about the stress they were inflicting on this sweet and kind lady who simply didn't have the money to address the matter, or she would have, even though she wasn't at fault for this alleged missing tree. These types really enjoy their work .. the scumbags that they are.

The other equally idiotic part about this obnoxious affair was that even if mom had replaced the tree, there were (and still are) very strict rules being imposed restricting the use of water that has the lawns of the entire neighborhood turning brown and dying. These rules are equally immutable, and offer no exceptions either, yet they would virtually guarantee that any newly planted tree would surely die in short order, since only the fully mature trees with deep enough roots can survive on ground moisture during the extended drought for which these water restrictions were imposed in response. Does that matter at all to the "rules are the rules" nitwits? Not in the least .... it just ensures that they'll have an excuse to continue the attack indefinitely ... plant a tree which the rules forbid watering ... the tree dies ... the rules require that you replace the dead one, and the cycle of idiocy keep circling round and round.

She had to pay a lawyer she couldn't afford to pay to send these cretins a cease and desist demand to end the harassment, though that was far cheaper than complying with these idiot's rules which would have resulted in more than one round of tree planting to be sure.

You'd think that simple logic and reason would be fairly easy to agree on in this scenario ... but making that assumption only reflects one's misunderstanding of the true nature of these types of arbitrary impositions of authority. This was obviously never about the tree per se ... but about power, as it ALWAYS IS. The tree was simply one of many possible pretexts ... and the same can be said of the old man and his pack of cigarettes.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Stop smoking or get out. I don't care if he's a vet. Geez.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
He didn't have any problems because of when he served. Recent vets without service connected injuries and didn't serve in combat don't have it so easy anymore.
That's hit or miss.
I know of people who have been rated 30% disability (considered service related) for acne. Yep.
They use the VA.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The most important point being lost in this story of one old man and his wife being persecuted over cigarettes is that this elderly gentleman's last days on earth are being made miserable
He's stinking up the joint and making his neighbors' last days on earth miserable.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
He's stinking up the joint and making his neighbors' last days on earth miserable.
Yep, his neighbors are probably hoping he would just croak sooner than later.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,448,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How long did it take you to think up that name?
Which name? ... my SN or Odumba?

As for SN ... the devil made me do it.

I can't take credit for Odumba ... I read it somewhere and it seemed so very apprapo.

El Nox

Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Wait ... cons spend thousands of hours on this forum talking about "personal responsibility" for people, no matter how poor, sick, elderly, infirm or mentally challenged ... but now you want to use the words "personal responsibility" as an example of liberal hardheartedness???
No that is simply not remotely true. Anyone can claim to be anything, but one's actions identify what and who they are, not their claims.

This left-right, lib-con argument is just fools fodder, and nothing more. The present state of affairs is about government power and authoritarianism, regardless of the division of pet causes being promoted by either side. As I've said before, whether you choose to have your crap sandwich on wheat or white doesn't change the fact that you will be eating a crap sandwich, whichever bread you choose. And it's surprising the number of people who are so hoodwinked by such silly, childishness and transparent gamesmanship, as they gobble up their crap sandwich, noticing only the style of bread.

We have one brand of authoritarianism being peddled under two industry labels, and that's the short and sweet fact of the matter. Like choosing to be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys or Washington Redskins, it makes little difference to the NFL ... they just want you to choose one of them ... it doesn't matter to them at all which you choose, because there is only one brand being sold ... the NFL .... and all 32 teams are there to promote that one brand.

Why is this so difficult for people to see? Well, they just seem to need to route for their team, and hate the other team ... it's totally not rational, but it is quite common and prolific.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The stench of authoritarianism will choke the life out of everyone. Nothing else remotely comes close to the foul oder produced by despot authoritarian ideologues. Certainly no tobacco product comes close ... perhaps rotting fish may come in second place.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
He insists on breaking the rules and putting others at risk. He should be evicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies