Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
In order to say why conservatives are ambivalent, you must first accept that conservatives are ambivalent. They aren't.

Not pandering to someone doesn't make you ambivalent towards them.

Nobody says that civil rights laws are no longer necessary. It's quite the opposite. Civil Rights laws are good and proper and they are in place just as they should be. They are there to guarantee equal opportunity. And that's a good thing. What we conservatives don't want is to guarantee equal outcome by means of wealth redistribution. Nobody wants to repeal discrimination legislation. We just don't view black people as eternal victims in constant need of hand-holding. We don't take every little thing and use it to ring the Jim Crow alarm bells. It's not 1960 anymore.

Racism doesn't force black kids to commit crime. Racism doesn't force 73% of black births to be illegitimate. Racism doesn't force black dropout rates to be the highest and test scores to be the lowest of any racial group. Those are problems within the black community and are not results of the white man's oppression. And proof of this is the fact that these problems have gotten worse since the civil rights era. When black people were facing forced segregation, curfews, lynchings, and all the rest their unemployment, illegitimacy, and crime rates were better than they are now. So blaming those problems on the much lighter racism they face today is pure pandering instead of addressing the real problem. Which is the same as that faced by the lily white underclass in the UK - decades of a welfare state instilling a sense of dependency on government and breakdown in the family.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:05 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
1. the civil rights movement was supported by republicans and opposed by many democrats

2. Nixon started affirmative action

3. blacks vote democrat, regardless of actions by republicans or democrats

4. "voting rights" means supporting fraud or voting for illegals- of course one should be opposed to this. Show me one example of a black person being prevented from voting in the last 30 years. The only voting fraud and intimidation I am aware of was the Black Panthers episode and the black poll worker who voted six times.

5. Despite the desperate attempts of liberals to find discrimination everywhere, practically none exists in present day US.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. the civil rights movement was supported by republicans and opposed by many democrats
And after that we compassionate conservative and moderate Republicans eventually became Democrats when our party became the party of religious reactionaries and self-centered greed-mongers, and after the Democratic Party became the only significant bulwark against the racism, sexism and general callous disregard of others, i.e., that which became the foundation and only real tenet of the GOP.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
As a minority and a Conservative, I am ambivalent towards racial issues because I feel that all that is needed to succeed is the right attitude and a good work ethic. It's not rocket science that slacking, a lack of birth control use and acting like trash will lead to being stuck in the poverty level. I see no need to coddle those types by giving them government handouts. We should not be supporting that sort of lifestyle.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Why are conservatives so ambivalent toward minorities and racial issues?
I'd say it is more Republicans rather than conservatives. I guess some people need someone to blame.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am ambivalent towards racial issues because I feel that all that is needed to succeed is the right attitude and a good work ethic.
This is demonstrably false. Even white males with the right attitude and a good work ethic find lack of success in our society with a certain regularity, and that's absent additional impediments associated with bigotry, which drive the probability of success even lower.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Actually, I was referring to the Supreme Court striking down the Voting Rights Act, myself.
If you take the Texas voter ID law for example the DOJ now has to go through the courts like they would for any other state, this is racist how?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You can't show any evidence of voter fraud, can you? Because none exists. But you are in favor of voter disenfranchisement, one step at a time.

You create a problem where none exists.
Odanny how about addressing the topic.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And after that we compassionate conservative and moderate Republicans eventually became Democrats when our party became the party of religious reactionaries and self-centered greed-mongers, and after the Democratic Party became the only significant bulwark against the racism, sexism and general callous disregard of others, i.e., that which became the foundation and only real tenet of the GOP.

Keep thinking that. That is how the dems have kept blacks "on the plantation" by enacting measures to keep them perpetually poor and dependent on the dems.

Conservatives want people to be free from government intervention. Liberals want more government intervention (which comes at a price). Freedom or servitude?

Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Keep thinking that.
What I relayed to you was actual reality, based on having lived through it. Denying reality doesn't help add to your credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies