Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,259,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Those people are all dead now. All whites alive today are responsible for the sins of the past? Really? No actually whites are not the main recipients of welfare in proportion to their population percentage.
Almost 60% of welfare goes to whites so yes they are the main recipients.

And NO those white people are not dead. Actually city data forums is full of them.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,292,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
Perhaps because they realize that in the overall scheme of things, it is just whining.
You see, no one else can hold another person down. Failure comes from within. Success also comes from within.
We have very successful people of every race who have come to this country with nothing but the clothes on their back and the will to succeed.
We also have people of every race who have been given every opportunity, and yet have destroyed their own lives and become a burden to society.
In the end, we all have to accept responsibility for our own lot in life.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:58 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
When are whites going to accept their responsibility for oppressing minorities for the past few centuries then???? Centuries of free labor, oppression, and Jim Crow, now we are supposed to pretend all is well.

The last time I checked whites are the main recipients of welfare.
Personal responsibility atlanta...personal...responsibility. Learn it, own it, and maybe you too can make something of yourself.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
When are whites going to accept their responsibility for oppressing minorities for the past few centuries then???? Centuries of free labor, oppression, and Jim Crow, now we are supposed to pretend all is well.

The last time I checked whites are the main recipients of welfare.
I'm white and have nothing to do with either so I accept no responsibility. My family was closer to the oppressed.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,259,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Personal responsibility atlanta...personal...responsibility. Learn it, own it, and maybe you too can make something of yourself.

Do you know me???? I didn't think so. So tired of people falling on old stereotypes when plenty of blacks and minorities are doing quite well including myself without the assistance of the government. Meanwhile people forget there are plenty of poor whites especially in the Appalachia and deep south.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
I would say that using the term Conservative or Liberal does not apply in many of the statements that people make here. If you were a Conservative like Goldwater who was at the forefront of desegragation in the military and openly accepting Gays in the Military, many of these arguements would not apply. If you look at purebreds like the Kennedy family you would not find any African Americans in their ranks, compared to John Boehner, who has a Jamaican son in law and McCain has a African American Daughter in law.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:18 PM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes, I agree. The right-wing needs to be in denial regarding such issues, because otherwise they'd have to face up to the fact of the rabid immorality of what they support.

But I'm not a right winger Buu - see we disagree again - so what's my excuse?????? People of all races and cultures survive without so much gov't interference. I see no problem when someone needs a helping hand - but for the past 20 years instead of improving racial equality - I see the libs destroying it through their media and gov't programs. The gov't is creating a divide between those who work for their money and those who don't - forget about race. Then add the liberal news coverage addressing issues of only one side or inaccurately reporting and further divide is created.

There is nothing immoral about helping someone achieve independence - what's immoral is making them dependent and taking away their dignity and character. Unfortunately, they are the ones who become defensive then, especially with the media's help, as they feel that people who have succeeded owe them and despise them.

You all act like it is back in the days of old, where you have kingdoms and the Con/Rep rule and the poor people and libs are the peasants and serfs. At least the peasants and serfs worked for what little they had then and weren't just given everything.

Dems have just as much wealth as the Reps and if they want to spend it on all these social programs - go for it! Put your money where you mouth is. I'd rather wean these people off of all these programs so they can gain back some dignity and respect.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Do you know me???? I didn't think so. So tired of people falling on old stereotypes when plenty of blacks and minorities are doing quite well including myself without the assistance of the government. Meanwhile people forget there are plenty of poor whites especially in the Appalachia and deep south.
Plenty of you are doing quite well without assistance of the government, so go spread the word to the rest, the answer is personal responsibility.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes, I agree. The right-wing needs to be in denial regarding such issues, because otherwise they'd have to face up to the fact of the rabid immorality of what they support.
So I don't suppose you think it's immoral for blacks to still be suffering economical woes under the current administration, when they were promised Hope and Change, and got neither, hm?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You can't show any evidence of voter fraud, can you? Because none exists. But you are in favor of voter disenfranchisement, one step at a time.

You create a problem where none exists.
But liberals are all the time coming up with examples of Republican voter fraud. You can't have it both ways. Are there, or are there not, examples of fraud from both sides? Wouldn't you want to fix that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies