Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:40 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,369,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As a minority and a Conservative, I am ambivalent towards racial issues because I feel that all that is needed to succeed is the right attitude and a good work ethic. It's not rocket science that slacking, a lack of birth control use and acting like trash will lead to being stuck in the poverty level. I see no need to coddle those types by giving them government handouts. We should not be supporting that sort of lifestyle.
I agree attitude is so important, no employer wants negative people spreading that type of energy to others. I see a good portion of people that do not have a good work ethnic where they are continually late or call off.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
With the exception of Gay Americans, who still have a ways to go to achieve equal treatment under the law, minorities are no longer legally discriminated against by government. IMO most civil rights actions since the 1960's have a purpose of producing equal outcome, not rid minorities from facing artificial barriers to success, or infringe on the natural right of association and should be opposed.

I believe government should be color-blind. The modern civil rights leaders do not believe this.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This is demonstrably false. Even white males with the right attitude and a good work ethic find lack of success in our society with a certain regularity, and that's absent additional impediments associated with bigotry, which drive the probability of success even lower.
Define "success". It's completely unreasonable to expect everyone to become rich. And most people want that "brass ring" and a McMansion with all the accessories, but that's just being greedy. Success to me means have a good quality of life and all your needs being met. Anything more is a bonus but it's not a guarantee. Like a bee hive, there are always going to be more worker bees than a queen and her drones.

Also, there is a tendency for people to overextend themselves and get into massive credit card debt. People have got to start living within their means and stop longing for frivolities.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:01 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Early in the 20th century, progressives (on the left) were overtly racist based on the claptrap of 'eugenics,' which was a fashionable in academia at the time.
Eugenics in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But eugenics culminated in Nazi Germany, so it fell out of favor around the time of WWII among academia and the left. Meanwhile during the 1930's CPUSA (communist party of USA) was busy reaching out to black activists such as Bayard Rustin and won many black activists, artists, and intellectuals over to their side. Thus after the war there was an alliance between the left and the black civil rights movement. A guy like Robert F. Williams (NC civil rights leader) said that he was the ultimate patriot, who called the US Constitution the 'greatest document in the world.' But the only white allies he could find were communists. When push came to shove and the FBI tried to frame him on a kidnaping charge, he fled to Canada, then to Cuba, and finally wound up in Red China. Eventually he was able to return the US during the Nixon admin, and the bogus charges were dropped.

Due to the embrace of the civil rights movement, the left found itself on the moral high ground through the 60's and 70's. By the 1980s the nation had moved on, and Jim Crow, segregation, and racism were almost universally reviled. Black conservative voices like Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell gained prominence. I think many on the left saw the possible loss of the moral high ground.

Since then things are taking a strange twist. Now we have the false accusation of racism turned into an art form on the left. We have guys like Zimmerman, who is actually partly of African ancestry himself, accused of acting out of racism. We've got lefty activists caught redhanded plotting to, take one of them[random conservative]— Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists. And bizarre outbursts, such as Seattle liberals warning that references to brown bag lunches are racist.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
No person in mainstream politics believes that civil rights laws are no longer necessary. But race discrimination issues are mostly non-issues in modern times.

They are overhyped in American society because some people have nothing better to do.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Define "success".
The ability to afford all the basics of life, including safety, security, food, health, clothing, etc., to the extent that you would be satisfied with same for your own daughter, even if you were unable or otherwise precluded from making up for the lack thereof in her life. Plus a very small amount to ensure that anyone in poverty can get out over poverty and continue to advance in society, rather than getting deeper and deeper in debt, or compromising reasonable expectations of the basics of living for this society.

Love your neighbor as yourself. - Matthew 22:39.

Quote:
It's completely unreasonable to expect everyone to become rich.
I agree. It seems likely, actually, that our society is creating more rich people than its economic activity can legitimately account for.

Quote:
People have got to start living within their means and stop longing for frivolities.
Like a roof over their heads? Could you please specifically indicate what you mean by
frivolities, providing proof that the vast majority of folks that I'm talking about actually engage in such frivolities rather than covering their own basic needs? Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Actually, I was referring to the Supreme Court striking down the Voting Rights Act, myself.
It wasn't struck down. When are you race hustlers going to start being honest? Is it even in your DNA to do so?

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

I agree. It seems likely, actually, that our society is creating more rich people than its economic activity can legitimately account for.

That is funny.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
This is something I've noticed and wondered about for a while now. People who tend to be the most supportive of civil rights--regardless of the group--tend to be those on the left. While conservatives tend to be, at best, ambivalent about things like voting rights or issues facing minority communities. Many naively seem to think that there are no racial problems anymore in the United States, and that things like Civil Rights laws are no longer necessary--something which baffles me.

Any thoughts?
Conservatives think people should be judged based on their character, not skin color. Seeing race in everything goes against that. There should be rights for everyone, and to single out rights for a particular race makes you a racist. Thinking a certain race is too stupid, poor, etc. to get voter ID makes you a racist.

Now, who is the problem? It's not conservatives.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You can't show any evidence of voter fraud, can you? Because none exists. But you are in favor of voter disenfranchisement, one step at a time.

You create a problem where none exists.

We had an extremely close gubernatorial election in 2004 in Washington state. Dino Rossi (R) won the initial count by 261 votes. That margin triggered an automatic recount, which Rossi also won. Christine Gregoire(D) requested a hand recount, which she won by 129 votes. This result was challenged in court.

The judge found evidence that 1678 votes had been illegally cast. These were either dead people who voted, felons, or people who voted more than once. But the judge said that there was no way to know how the illegal votes affected the tally, so he let the result stand.

There were also 50,000 'enhanced ballots' in King County, or about 15% of votes cast in King County. These were ballots that were improperly filled out (e.g. voting for two candidates in the same race), and were hand examined to divine voter intent. One such ballot was noted where a voter wrote in "Christine Rossi" and checked the oval for Christine Gregoire. That vote was counted for dem candidate Gregoire.
Sound Politics: Ukraine Follies

In closing, let me predict that I will never get a response back. Instead, it will be the classic skedaddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies