Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,996,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
No, I wouldn't. Not now. I've configured my education, experience, resume, life choices, etc. in such a way that I've avoided that fate

I have in the past, though, worked low / minimum wage jobs when it was commensurate with my level of skill and expertise (read: as a teenager or college student and that's all I was worth). I worked at the largest (at the time) Arby's in the country, at Northeast Mall in Fort Worth, from age 15 to 17. Learned a lot.

I WOULD work a hypothetical second / part-time job for $15 or $20 hour at a fast food restaurant for some extra cash, though, and I'd likely be the most competent employee the place had ever seen.

$42K per year right out of ninth grade, huh? Sounds legit. What would you pay someone, then, who went to university for four to six years looking for an entry-level position? Less than $42K? More? How much?

The reason I can give is simple: that's what the market will bear, and that's what the job skills (i.e. minimal) are worth, and that's how rare it is to find someone who has the skills and experience necessary (i.e. not rare at all).

Maybe. Is it possible those foreign born workers are producing better quality? That the person hiring them is paying them such because as a group they are a higher quality employee than what he could get at minimum wage? But to lure them from other opportunities that also pay them more he has to offer this amount?

Companies should and do discriminate - based on proficiency, work ethic, quality, timeliness, attitude, etc.
I was thinking more along the lines of race, ethnic origin , religion, and sometimes captive worker, as they were brought over here to do one job and one job only, if they do not like it,well they are screwed !

Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Bottom line , the "strike" is all about the future of our workforce, our people with proper skills and what SHOULD be a living wage. If we continue down this path dismissing the value of service workers, and blue collar skilled jobs, we will be headed to become a third world country.
Do you really think that's the narrative going through their minds? Do you think the fast food workers are concerned about the future of America's workforce, and trying to stave off a downward spiral into economic collapse?

If we followed your path, we'd be vastly boosting prices and inflation, and dismissing the value of making good choices, becoming marketable, building a resume, finding a way to be worth paying more money, education, etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,276,067 times
Quote:
Bottom line , the "strike" is all about the future of our workforce, our people with proper skills and what SHOULD be a living wage. If we continue down this path dismissing the value of service workers, and blue collar skilled jobs, we will be headed to become a third world country...its that important whether you ( we ) like it or not.
You suggested $20 an hour, why stop there. Make it $100?

Old 08-29-2013, 02:29 PM

11,191 posts, read 10,785,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How about these big companies who are amazingly wealthy live up to their social responsibility to the U.S. where they operate by paying their employees enough money to support themselves and not have to rely on public assistance in order to feed themselves and their families? As has been pointed out, our economy is making a huge shift to a becoming a service economy, which means that THESE TYPES ARE JOBS are going to be the MAJORITY of jobs available to our people in the not too distant future. It's time for the companies to "pay up" for their success and years of greed and taking, taking, taking from the taxpayers of the U.S. Raising the salaries of their employees is NOT going to hurt tem one iota. They'll still be far wealthier than 99% of our people would ever hope to be.
Here's a better idea: How about the people working menial labor jobs realize that they are working menial labor jobs? These jobs weren't meant to support anyone other than a kid in high school or college. They are "starter" jobs which are meant to be left behind before you move out of mommy and daddy's house and start a family. Anyone expecting these jobs to pay a living wage has zero grasp of economic theory. The people complaining about how they can't raise a family on what they make at McDonald's need to go find a better job and leave the burger-flipping to teenagers.

Why should any company pay more than what a job is worth? Companies exist to make a profit. They aren't there to give away money. Paying someone who flips burgers $15 an hour is not only a bad business decision, it is a huge slap in the face to people who have actually attained a level of proficiency in other fields and are barely making $15 an hour themselves - if they are lucky. I know people who work in medical offices that don't make $15 an hour. Do you really think that making sure the french fries don't burn is worth more money on the job market than making sure that patients are taken care of correctly? Get real.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 11,199,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Had a bill for 15.45......gave the cashier 20.45....she had to ASK ME, how much change I get
No doubt! I love doing that with the cashiers that look dumb as rocks at these types of places. Give them a $10 or a $20 and let them punch in the dollar ammount and have the register tell them the correct change ammount, and then hand them the correct change while telling them you could use all singles back. Then enjoy as they just stand there staring at you like a lost child at the country fair. It's amazing how far basic math skills will take people. Sadly, many of the schools these days are not pushing students to do this in their head or at least on paper. They're worthless without the aid of a machine. Most of these people, if the machine went haywire and told them to give $47 back when it should actually be $7, they wouldn't even hesitate to give whatever the machine said to give.

Here's another good one. With the younger crowd, try paying with a $2 bill and watch them summon the manager thinking it's counterfeit because they've never seen one before. That one always makes for some good natured humor.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As a former Chicago resident they also charge more in those restaurants. When your oil field guys are making BIG $$$ they don't mind paying $8 for a meal that might cost $6 in another part of the country to pay the higher wages.

You basically pointed to 2 of the highest cost living areas in north america citing the higher pay there and then call paying lower wages in lower cost areas "exploiting workers".
No , thats not what I am saying. I stand here with little or none experience in the service worker field. The only job I had as a kid was the POP boy in the grand stand during ball games...it was wet, dangerous, hard work....what did I know , I was just a kid.
I was just pointing out that there ARE places where service workers get paid more, thats all, and yes it IS because of shortage, not pay at all..... So , using your thoughts , should we start evaluating pay by demand, even if the workers come from third world countries ? ( check the post that describes this factor ) Not everyone gets paid more in high COL places ether , I remember my first management job out of school, I was paid based on what others got doing the same job in Waterloo,Iowa as in Detroit, Michigan.where I was sent, I sucked it up, then after a year moved on...they never considered paying me more, no way,. That I think was wrong.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,117,968 times
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of race, ethnic origin , religion, and sometimes captive worker, as they were brought over here to do one job and one job only, if they do not like it,well they are screwed !
Should a pork processing plant be forced to hire a Muslim who refuses to touch pork?

In leftie utopia, it makes perfect sense to open a small cow brain processing plant within their business in order to appease them.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,766,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
No doubt! I love doing that with the cashiers that look dumb as rocks at these types of places. Give them a $10 or a $20 and let them punch in the dollar ammount and have the register tell them the correct change ammount, and then hand them the correct change while telling them you could use all singles back. Then enjoy as they just stand there staring at you like a lost child at the country fair. It's amazing how far basic math skills will take people. Sadly, many of the schools these days are not pushing students to do this in their head or at least on paper. They're worthless without the aid of a machine. Most of these people, if the machine went haywire and told them to give $47 back when it should actually be $7, they wouldn't even hesitate to give whatever the machine said to give.

Here's another good one. With the younger crowd, try paying with a $2 bill and watch them summon the manager thinking it's counterfeit because they've never seen one before. That one always makes for some good natured humor.
I did that with a Susan B Anthony one time
The girl told me they don't accept "foreign money"

Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Here's a better idea: How about the people working menial labor jobs realize that they are working menial labor jobs? These jobs weren't meant to support anyone other than a kid in high school or college. They are "starter" jobs which are meant to be left behind before you move out of mommy and daddy's house and start a family. Anyone expecting these jobs to pay a living wage has zero grasp of economic theory. The people complaining about how they can't raise a family on what they make at McDonald's need to go find a better job and leave the burger-flipping to teenagers.

Why should any company pay more than what a job is worth? Companies exist to make a profit. They aren't there to give away money. Paying someone who flips burgers $15 an hour is not only a bad business decision, it is a huge slap in the face to people who have actually attained a level of proficiency in other fields and are barely making $15 an hour themselves - if they are lucky. I know people who work in medical offices that don't make $15 an hour. Do you really think that making sure the french fries don't burn is worth more money on the job market than making sure that patients are taken care of correctly? Get real.
You do not have a clue, but I do see your reasoning not that I approve.. What these people are tring to do is brink up the wage and worth of the fast food service worker. This no not a strike as we know it, it is amovement.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM

9,348 posts, read 16,741,837 times
They want $15 an hour and when I pull up to the Drive-In I can't understand a word they say? Has nothing to do with foreign language, it's English, but mumbled, fast and lacks proper sentence structure. Then they get annoyed when I order and they get confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies