Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM

89,301 posts, read 45,022,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Are you trying to imply that carried interest is not taxed at 15%? I assure you that it is.
I'm telling you what the IRS reports as the ACTUAL average effective federal income tax rates of each income group.

Hint: the top 1% is paying FAR MORE than 15%, while the middle class pays only 6.01%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 01:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
Quote:
The gap is tied into education. Why do you think Asians have the highest earnings and median wealth?

Lets remember the Dream by closing the SKILLS gap.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,327 times
Quote:
The gap is tied into education. Why do you think Asians have the highest earnings and median wealth?

Education, self-reliance, internal locus of control, and work ethic.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
People need to stepup and correct the educational lag we se I our schools for last few decades. The dropout rate and lowering of standards needs to go. Neither government or throwing money at it has or will work ;its up to people. Without that the income gap will just continue to grow.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,244,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
People need to stepup and correct the educational lag we se I our schools for last few decades. The dropout rate and lowering of standards needs to go. Neither government or throwing money at it has or will work ;its up to people. Without that the income gap will just continue to grow.
Educational achievement is but only a symptom of bigger problems. No amount of money thrown at a symptom is going to fix the root cause.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,083,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
We celebrated the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s iconic “I Have a Dream” speech and the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom in a ceremony that was capped off by the Commander in Chief himself. I watched as speaker after speaker paid homage to the late great civil rights leader and gave their rallying cries to the masses to fight on. It was beautiful moment and offered a glimpse into history for those like myself who weren’t alive during the original march.

The only damper on the ceremony was the dreary weather that hovered over the nation’s capital yesterday, but given the status of the goals of the original march, jobs and freedom; the backdrop was perfect. As far as the forecast of jobs and freedom goes, the rain may have stopped but it’s still cloudy.

While we definitely have made a lot of progress in the fight for civil rights, we are still far from achieving the economic freedom that King dreamed about. The economic plight of the African-American community may be much improved from the era of racially restrictive housing covenants and massive redlining (a practice by which banks avoided giving loans to minorities or for projects in minority neighborhoods) but we still find ourselves in an era where the median white family’s wealth is more than 20 times greater than that of the median black family.

There is much work to be done and this problem will be more difficult to eradicate than other issues of the civil rights struggle. Unlike discriminatory hiring practices or racially restrictive housing covenants, there are no laws that can serve as a quick fix to the problem. It is far too complex.

Let
EVERY wealthy leftie, including alsharpton, jesse jackson, harpo and White House frequent visitors JayZ and Bouncy should all claim a poor black neighborhood and throw $20 bills out the windows as they drive through, until their wealth is gone.

They can house up to 100 homeless minority children in their homes at any one time.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm telling you what the IRS reports as the ACTUAL average effective federal income tax rates of each income group.

Hint: the top 1% is paying FAR MORE than 15%, while the middle class pays only 6.01%.
I was specifically talking about the carried interest exemption. Not the 1%. It doesn't even take alot of money to get into the 1%.

Quote:
The top 10% includes people that don't use the carried interest exemptions. If you buy a company, turn it around, and sell it you will pay tax at ordinary income rates, but hedge fund managers can get away with paying 15%.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,808,362 times
Let's recap the actual timeline, shall we:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Okay, so we take more money from the rich, that's totally doable. But how do we get those perpetually stuck in the safety nets back into a productive existence? There's many variables to this problem.

I just watched the documentary Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream

I appreciated that it tried to be bipartisan, but didn't focus enough on Chuck Schumer shelving the tax reform bill which would have removed the carried interest loophole that the super-wealthy use to keep from paying their fair share. He said he'd do one thing, and then did another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
The wealthy already pay more than their fair share of taxes. People like you need to keep your eyes on your own money, and keep your avaricious and greedy paws out of the pockets of others.

The top 10 percent of taxpayers paid over 70% of the total amount collected in federal income taxes in 2010. That's up from 55% in 1986.

Originally Posted by steven_h
Wow... I'm a diehard Libertarian, outspoken fiscal conservative, and now I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of conservative deflection. YOU are not worth the time it takes to explain a valid position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Well, that was quick. When the ad hominem attacks start, the person has already failed.
You started the personal attack. Additionally, you attacked under an assumption that was completely out of context. I only stated a fact, you aren't worth the time to explain my position, and you've proven me right.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,808,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

You are only using Federal Income Tax to make your point. Let's be honest and use total taxes paid as a percentage of income, using the entire tax pie.

By the time you add in every tax (FET, state income, local taxes, sales tax, network and connection fees, energy, gas, utilities, alcohol, tobacco, SS...etc.) the poor and middle class (not taking any form of welfare) are paying a much higher percentage of their income. This is the problem. The uber-wealthy have lobbied for decades to manipulate the playing field in their favor. Effective rates should be based on total income above a certain threshold, without loopholes.

Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I believed the conservative meme that cutting taxes would explode the economy. The problem is that we no longer have wealthy people who create jobs. We have wealthy crony capitalists that do nothing but move money around, never creating a single job (except maybe butlers, drivers, and maids). On top of that, when they screwed us, WE bailed them out. What a scam they've got going.

Reset the tax laws verbatim to 1986, and outlaw crony lobbyists.

Those damn old people should be getting jobs! Walmart was hiring them, but Walmart is bad!

Both sides are hypocrites, arguing their extreme positions rather than coming to the middle like adults.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-31-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 04:46 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
We celebrated the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s iconic “I Have a Dream” speech and the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom in a ceremony that was capped off by the Commander in Chief himself. I watched as speaker after speaker paid homage to the late great civil rights leader and gave their rallying cries to the masses to fight on. It was beautiful moment and offered a glimpse into history for those like myself who weren’t alive during the original march.

The only damper on the ceremony was the dreary weather that hovered over the nation’s capital yesterday, but given the status of the goals of the original march, jobs and freedom; the backdrop was perfect. As far as the forecast of jobs and freedom goes, the rain may have stopped but it’s still cloudy.

While we definitely have made a lot of progress in the fight for civil rights, we are still far from achieving the economic freedom that King dreamed about. The economic plight of the African-American community may be much improved from the era of racially restrictive housing covenants and massive redlining (a practice by which banks avoided giving loans to minorities or for projects in minority neighborhoods) but we still find ourselves in an era where the median white family’s wealth is more than 20 times greater than that of the median black family.

There is much work to be done and this problem will be more difficult to eradicate than other issues of the civil rights struggle. Unlike discriminatory hiring practices or racially restrictive housing covenants, there are no laws that can serve as a quick fix to the problem. It is far too complex.

Let
Most of what MLK dreamed was achieved. Their problems have little to do with equality of opportunity, those things which MLK fought for. And most race based discrimination is non-existant today.

The problems that blacks face today are due to a breakdown of the black family.

The high percentage of black children in fatherless homes (and in many cases, the mother never married the father(s) of her children), black youth becoming involved in gangs, dugs and crime (Treyvon Martin is only one recent example).

It also doesn't help when we have a President that has seen too it that they continue to be slaves to the government (welfare is a form of slavery). The problem blacks face today is of a different nature:
However, the most egregious and disgusting actions of all have been by the black and white liberal politicians who have used the "race card" to achieve power and advance their political agenda. They do not care if racial strife is perpetuated nor are they concerned for the well being of the black population except to use them as a pawn in their incessant drive to control the levers of government.

Read more: Articles: The Dream is No More

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies