Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,302,021 times

Advertisements

The issue is not that women can't fight. If they can pass the same tests as the men, then they can fight.

The issue is, now women can get drafted into combat positions.

People seem to lack the foresight that at some point in the future, perhaps the near future, a draft could be initiated. It's bad enough having your son go to the front lines, but now your daughter will join him.

Hopefully, the US will not ever find itself in that position, but it is very audacious to neglect factoring that aspect in the recent law that passed, permitting women to be in combat positions.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Those women in the Soviet Army were few and far between. And they served as Snipers. Hardly as straining and vigourous and being on the front line.

I think women can serve as medics, field engineers etc.. Actual fighting? No. What if a woman has her period in the middle of a 10 day mission? She is also succeptible to vaginal infections without proper hygene. I also highly doubt a female can carry 80 pounds in gear, plus for example a heavy m249 Light Machine Gun. But I do agree that females should be able to serve in non combat front line roles. It's not worth it to change the rules, tradition, and a system that has worked for thousands of years to accomodate the very very few women who will be up to the task.

I think what's pissing a lot of people off, including males in the army is the fact that these women will have their standards lowered significantly in order to recruit them. There was a story a while back I was reading (I tried to look for the source) 4 females participating in one of the regular standardized physical tests.. I think 2 dropped out and the other 2 failed miserably.
I disagree with you on this one. There were whole women units on the font lines in Russia and as told to me by a former German soldier who surived only by outrunning them in full retreat, they were more than merely competent. They were fearless and totally committed with yeast infections probably not slowing them down a bit.

His memory is one of being miserably cold, scavenging better condition greatcoats, boots and socks off of dead compatriots and huddling lethargically in shallow trenches they were able to scratch out of the frozen ground, suddenly having their pulse rate go into the stratosphere at the sound and sight of a line of screaming women running headlong at them firing those PPHS 41's (71 round drum mags, 900 rounds per second) from the hip. He said it was like someone flipped a switch with all of his fellow soldiers deciding at the same split second to run like hell, dropping or shedding anything heavy that slowed them down as they ran, like rifles, grenade bags and those greatcoats.

Those women were kept supplied by even younger girls carrying multiples of those heavy drum mags without being armed at all so they could keep up in the deep snow.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
The issue is not that women can't fight. If they can pass the same tests as the men, then they can fight.

People seem to lack the foresight that at some point in the future, perhaps the near future, a draft could be initiated. It's bad enough having your son go to the front lines, but now your daughter will join him.

Hopefully, the US will not ever find itself in that position, but it is very audacious to neglect factoring that aspect in the recent law that passed, permitting women to be in combat positions.
Of course that can't happen, just like the Germans could never find a way to defeat the Maginot line right?

Wow, women in combat is probably the most arrogant thing any country has ever done.

If a woman gets into a hand to hand combat duel with a hard core enemy, that enemy will toy with her before he guts her after he does other things to her. This is so ridiculous. This woman in combat cute little fad will go away so quickly if there is ever a real war.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:

If the draft is ever re-instituted, everyone should serve, regardless of gender.
Personally, I think that everyone should be required to serve in some capacity anyway, just as is done in Israel.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If the draft is ever re-instituted, everyone should serve, regardless of gender.
Personally, I think that everyone should be required to serve in some capacity anyway, just as is done in Israel.
What about age? Why do you think there is a age limit to join the military?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What about age? Why do you think there is a age limit to join the military?
What about age?
Do you think that the current age requirements would change if the draft is brought back?

Odd response, to say the least.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Have you ever served in the military? Would you be the first in line at the draft office?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Have you ever served in the military? Would you be the first in line at the draft office?
There was no line at the draft office.

They sent the letter. And they got very upset if anyone said, "No thanks."

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There was no line at the draft office.

They sent the letter. And they got very upset if anyone said, "No thanks."
Yes, but if you know a draft is going to be instituted, you could easily be pro-active and register before your number is called.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM

349 posts, read 423,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh; and all of their male counterparts are 220lbs. Give me a freak'n break here. I've seen guys that weighed less than 175lbs hump a full pack on an all day route march and still able to kick the chit out the 220lb'er afterwards.

That's called training and women thusly trained are every bit as competent as similarly trained men.

You judge your opponent's battlefield capability by his size alone, you're gonna lose.

Audie Murphy weighed how much again?

He attempted to join the Marines, the Navy and the Army but was turned down due to his age and weight so he changed his diet and put on weight, lied about his age and enlisted into the Army at 5' 5" tall and weighing only 112lbs.

Bradley Manning is bigger than Audie was.
I don't think you understand that for example a 140 lb male is significantly stronger than a 140 lb female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies