Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It seems to me that the former Soviet Union proved that women can hold their own in battle.
Vietnam women fought against our soldiers.
Yes women can fight. The old adage don't get captured by the women comes to mind.
As someone pointed out a woman flying an Apache gunship can squeeze the trigger just as easily as a man flying the same machine.

Your inspiration is the Soviet Union and North Viet Nam?

Do people honestly think that women can fight in the military?-220px-soviet_child_soldier.jpg

Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Political correctness requires one to suspend common sense and not notice things.
Maybe you haven't noticed that other countries have successfully integrated women into military combat.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
This is where the gender neutrality crowd reveals their hypocrisy.

The left's goal has always been to make some groups more equal than others and this continues.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, you didn't have combat experience.

Your son and your husband had.
Reading comprehension problems?

I responded to this:

"Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
If you had any experience with combat veterans, you would realize that it is very rarely the case.

In fact many people who join the military do so because it is a job or for the benefits. Very few people actually believe something could happen to them. It is always someone else it will happen to.

This is especially the case for those that join in supporting roles."

I bolded it again, in case it still wasn't clear to what I was responding.

Now, do you really want to argue whether or not I've had experience with combat veterans?

So odd that you would attempt to call me out on this when I've taken your reports of your brother's experience at face value.
Actually, it isn't odd.
It's just sad.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM

In fact, the dirty little secret is that U.S. women are already being thrust into combat. But because it’s not official, they do so without the proper training and weapons. Panetta’s decision simply recitifies this situation. It also gives women warriors access to better benefits and support — like their male comrades — once they return home.
It’s worth noting allowing women on the frontlines is a battle long since lost in Canada. Women in our military have been fighting alongside men for more than 20 years. Indeed, three have been killed in Afghanistan.
Canadians have a sense of déjà-vu over U.S. women in combat roles furore | National Post

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Canada: In 1989 Canada opened all combat roles except those involving submarine warfare to women. In 2000, women were given the green light to serve on subs as well. Three years later, the first female was assigned to serve as captain of a Canadian warship, while another woman became the first female deputy commanding officer of a combat arms unit.
Roughly 15 percent of Canadian military forces are now women, while 2 percent of combat troops (99 troops) are female. In 2006, Canada lost its first female soldier—a forward artillery scout—in combat with Taliban forces.
8 Other Nations that Send Women to Combat

Oddly enough, they weren't stopped by their "susceptibility to vaginal infections".
Maybe American vaginas are more delicate.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Reading comprehension problems?

I responded to this:

"Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
If you had any experience with combat veterans, you would realize that it is very rarely the case.

In fact many people who join the military do so because it is a job or for the benefits. Very few people actually believe something could happen to them. It is always someone else it will happen to.

This is especially the case for those that join in supporting roles."

I bolded it again, in case it still wasn't clear to what I was responding.

Now, do you really want to argue whether or not I've had experience with combat veterans?

So odd that you would attempt to call me out on this when I've taken your reports of your brother's experience at face value.
Actually, it isn't odd.
It's just sad.
I don't know why do you have to take this so personally. You posted "My son has served in the Army for 20 years." You didn't say "I myself have served in the army for 20 years."

That is why I answered "Well, then your son had combat experience, you hadn't"

If you had combat experience, you should have made it clear. You didn't post you had combat experience.

You quoted Other poster's post, not mine.

My brother served in Marine Corps 95-01 Four years active duty, 2 years reserve. I myself havne't served ONE day in military. I have no combat experience. Have you?

This whole thread is about "women in combat situation". You have a military career, doesn't mean you are capable in combat situation. Do I think I as a woman am capable of doing what my brother has done? NO, NOT in a million years. Do I think there are women out there are capable of what he has done? Perhaps. But do I think women should be put in combat situation? No.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-01-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-01-2013, 11:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
?

I mean seriously.. Let's be honest. Do you honestly think that most women cant pass the physical testing (same as the men) carry around 70 plus pounds, stay out on missions for several days, handle a massive assault rifle etc... What is the benefit of having females serve in combat roles when A) most wont be able to handle it anyways and B) it will inevitably cause a disturbance within the unit?

Wars have been fought for thousands of years without females.. Let me ask you. Do you honestly think that women who received the same training as men could have stormed the beaches of Normandy sucessfully against a wall of German/French/Czech/Italian men, tanks and artillery?
They do it in Israel.

And as to history, quite a few societies had female warriors...

Fail?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
They do it in Israel.

And as to history, quite a few societies had female warriors...

Fail?
Evidently, everything that other countries have managed to embrace successfully wouldn't work in America.
Metric system? No, we can't!
Universal healthcare? No, we can't!
Same sex marriage? No, we can't!
Women in combat? No, we can't!
Sex ed in schools? No, we can't!
So much for the pioneering spirit and brave, can-do attitudes. Maybe I'll start calling them American'ts.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,132,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Evidently, everything that other countries have managed to embrace successfully wouldn't work in America.
Metric system? No, we can't!
Universal healthcare? No, we can't!
Same sex marriage? No, we can't!
Women in combat? No, we can't!
Sex ed in schools? No, we can't!
So much for the pioneering spirit and brave, can-do attitudes. Maybe I'll start calling them American'ts.
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies