Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no loss involved in the download. I'm tired of being redundant.

So if you download piece of software that I'm selling for $20K and then use it for your own gain, I have lost nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I just don't. Just like I didn't think it was immoral when i used to make copies of cassettes when I was a kid.

It's illegal and i recognize that but there are a lot of illegal things that I don't consider immoral.

It doesn't feel like theft. And the reason it doesn't is that to me its not a choice of either a) buying the song or b) downloading the song. It's a choice of downloading the song or not downloading the song. There's no intention to purchase the song if i can't download it. Therefore, there is no loss of revenue to the producer. I had no intention to ever buy the song.
But copyright infringement is not about theft. It's about respecting the author's copyright. If the author has a clause that says "if you're not going to purchase it anyways, then feel free to use it"... then sure. But the author/owner has explicitly forbid you from using it. I don't see how you don't see that breaking the authors request is immoral.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you had no interest in paying for it why are you downloading it to begin with?

You are downloading it because it has value to you, correct?
curiosity.

a friend of mine says that I need to hear this band. So I download them.

If i didn't have the opportunity to download them I wouldn't go and purchase an album just because of a recommendation. Prior to file sharing i would have had a friend make a tape of the band for me.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
curiosity.

If i didn't have the opportunity to download them I wouldn't go and purchase an album just because of a recommendation. Prior to file sharing i would have had a friend make a tape of the band for me.
You can typically sample the bands music on Amazon.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But copyright infringement is not about theft. It's about respecting the author's copyright. If the author has a clause that says "if you're not going to purchase it anyways, then feel free to use it"... then sure. But the author/owner has explicitly forbid you from using it. I don't see how you don't see that breaking the authors request is immoral.
well I don't and I don't care if you don't understand why. It's no more immoral than the mixed-tape in the 1990's was immoral.

Actually the artist should be happy about it(and many are). Someone is listening to their music that otherwise wouldn't have been. That someone may tell five other people about that band and out of those five, two of them buy an album or go to a show of the band etc.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM

i actually don't dload much music. I mostly listen to pandora.

What i do download off of torrent sites are TV shows.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
i actually don't dload much music. I mostly listen to pandora.

What i do download off of torrent sites are TV shows.

So you're a thief?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can typically sample the bands music on Amazon.
yeah or i can go on youtube. Or i can just go on a torrent site and download the whole album.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
So you're a thief?
i am to you whatever you choose to call me. What you choose to call me defines who i am to you. Not who i am to me.

Oh i download movies too. I just downloaded a copy of the Gregory Peck "Moby Dick" that I couldn't find anywhere.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
curiosity.

If i didn't have the opportunity to download them I wouldn't go and purchase an album just because of a recommendation.
Whether you can download it for free is not your decision. I don;t agree with a lot of the practices of the big media companies and I think they really need to shift to a different business model but that's up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies