Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Libertarianism is just another dogmatic system that's akin to religion. I cold heartedly agree with this thesis. There's no difference between communism and libertarianism.

Libertarians Are the New Communists - Bloomberg
Here is the most important part of the article:

Quote:
Yes, liberty is a core American value, and an overweening state can be unhealthy. And there are plenty of self-described libertarians who have adopted the label mainly because they support same-sex marriage or decry government surveillance. These social libertarians aren’t the problem. It is the nihilist anti-state libertarians of the Koch-Cruz-Norquist-Paul (Ron and Rand alike) school who should worry us.
Those 4 people were never libertarians to begin with. They are just radicals with crazy ideas on how a society should function. And the ones this article refers to as "self described libertarians" are anything but "self described- they are actually the libertarians by definition and etymology.
It is those 4 people who are self described. They hijacked the term.

To Bloomberg and the OP:
Learn about the origins of Libertarianism and get back to us before lableing people libertarians who simply are nothing close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 11:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who is getting rid of all zoning and building codes ?
Why do people go to the extreme with their strawman arguments.

Have you read the Libertarian platform ?

You're describing an anarchist's view of no government, no regulation, no rules.

Did you know that libertarians don't object to unions ?
As long as both sides agree to them workers can form unions.
i never said the libertarians want to eliminate zoning and building codes, however if people like knowledgeiskey and bentbow have their way, these things would go away. i personally like those codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, I understand, the average person has to be controlled at all cost.
rubbish and you know it. i dont think you want to live next to a tallow company, i know there are a lot of people here in tucson that live near one that was in business LONG before the neighborhood was built, and they are complaining about the smells that come from the company that processes tallow. and i know you really dont want to live next to a chrome shop with all the toxic chemicals they use daily. and i seriously doubt you want a homeless shelter, with all the attendant issues they provide across the street from you.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who is getting rid of all zoning and building codes ?
Why do people go to the extreme with their strawman arguments.

Have you read the Libertarian platform ?

You're describing an anarchist's view of no government, no regulation, no rules.

Did you know that libertarians don't object to unions ?
As long as both sides agree to them workers can form unions.
Too many ignoramouses out there. They have no idea what libertarianism is.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Ron Paul may push some of the values, but certainly does not follow the entire platform, no current members do that. They pick and choose which items fit their agenda.
Nobody follows any belief perfectly with it's hypothetical platform. For the most part those who disagree with someone just make up what their beliefs are suppose to be and then argue that they are not following them.

This thread was a perfect example.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Libertarianism is just another dogmatic system that's akin to religion. I cold heartedly agree with this thesis. There's no difference between communism and libertarianism.

Libertarians Are the New Communists - Bloomberg

That is what Marxism was to begin with.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you might be, but the average person wont be.
Then don't go to a church or send your kids to a school that has a trip club next to it. Don't buy a house next to an industrial business.....
Really is as simple as that.

Just because it can happen, doesn't mean it will. Don't know why you guys assume the sky will suddenly fall...

Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
i never said the libertarians want to eliminate zoning and building codes, however if people like knowledgeiskey and bentbow have their way, these things would go away. i personally like those codes.

Then live in a town/city/state that have those codes. They will still be free to retain them. Just not forced to have them.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
i never said the libertarians want to eliminate zoning and building codes, however if people like knowledgeiskey and bentbow have their way, these things would go away. i personally like those codes..
Well that's not libertarian then.

Developers can still zone for SFH neighborhoods.
And the laws and courts will uphold those zoning laws.

To get rid of them is anarchy.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah yeah. Up is the new down, black is the new white, last is the new first, idiots are the new geniuses, etc...

The rhetorical gimmick of conflating opposites together lost its novelty eons ago.
Are they not brilliant? /boggle

Nothing makes me cringe more than seeing not so clever people attempting to be clever with propaganda tactics. It is like the guy who thinks he is invisible standing in front of you saying you can't see him. All you can do is shake your head at the stupidity.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

rubbish and you know it. i dont think you want to live next to a tallow company, i know there are a lot of people here in tucson that live near one that was in business LONG before the neighborhood was built, and they are complaining about the smells that come from the company that processes tallow. and i know you really dont want to live next to a chrome shop with all the toxic chemicals they use daily. and i seriously doubt you want a homeless shelter, with all the attendant issues they provide across the street from you.

I'm sorry you no longer have choices in life.... Truly sad days we live in.

I would certainly hope if you ever have a chance to buy a home in your life, you inspect it well or pay someone to do that job.

Would you move in next door and down wind to a pig farm? I guess you don't have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies