Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the gun control measures that NJ has passed?
Yes 24 32.88%
No 49 67.12%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times

Advertisements

I'd be really scared if bears learn about the 2nd Amendment. Aren't they equipped with enough killing tools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
"could"... you want to mandate that the guns ARE in school. Exactly how many in a typical high school of a thousand kids? Would you want 10 teachers armed? 50?
1. i never said mandate them; just allow them to be carried by people who go through whatever training/licensing requirements are put in place.

2. well, by not mandating them i am not setting a number. the lucky kids will have more adults on hand that can actively protect them instead of trying to be human shields for them.

you put quotation marks around "could" as if it is very significant to you. im glad because it is important. there is pretty much nothing stopping an armed person from entering a school and shooting kids. so your desire to keep guns out of the school is only keeping guns out of the hands of people that would use them for good.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 09-18-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 04:51 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
"Could you hold off on your anti-government paranoia for 5 minutes after govt employees sacrificed their lives today to some sh#t-for-brains tough guy with his big, bad gun?"

Well let's just create a sticky where we can bow our heads and mourn with the families of gang violence everyday, just in NJ.

Then we can discuss the toothless legislation provided by 'the government' in threads like this which actually invite discussion of gun laws.

Deflect to emotions when your argument fails... nice try. Poor attempt to frame opposition with lack of feeling or remorse.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM

478 posts, read 700,903 times
I think a good common ground on this issue is agreeing that anytime you send your kids to school and have to worry for their lives that something is terribly wrong in our society. Not that mass shootings haven't occurred elsewhere in the world but the frequency that its happening here in the US is alarming and it's clearly getting worse. Common sense should tell us that all options should be open along with compromise to find a way to provide a safer environment for our children, strolling through a mall or just going to a movie.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
I think a good common ground on this issue is agreeing that anytime you send your kids to school and have to worry for their lives that something is terribly wrong in our society.
there are always threats out there. the threat of being a victim in a mass school shooting is one of the least likely you will have to worry about.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there are always threats out there. the threat of being a victim in a mass school shooting is one of the least likely you will have to worry about.
Well.....I'm sure all those that have been shot in mass shootings will feel much better about that......and now that you have provided those words of wisdom we'll just sit back and do absolutely nothing.
Exactly what are you Captain of ? It can't be common sense ?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,112,347 times
Quote:
I think a good common ground on this issue is agreeing that anytime you send your kids to school and have to worry for their lives that something is terribly wrong in our society.
Well then, I hope they don't take the school bus, and I hope you don't drive them. Because they're much more likely to get killed in that car than in a shooting.

Quote:
Not that mass shootings haven't occurred elsewhere in the world but the frequency that its happening here in the US is alarming and it's clearly getting worse. Common sense should tell us that all options should be open along with compromise to find a way to provide a safer environment for our children, strolling through a mall or just going to a movie.
The US murder rate is down ~50% since the early 90s, and the country hasn't been as safe as it is today since before the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Well then, I hope they don't take the school bus, and I hope you don't drive them. Because they're much more likely to get killed in that car than in a shooting.

The US murder rate is down ~50% since the early 90s, and the country hasn't been as safe as it is today since before the civil rights movement in the 1960s.

It must be from all the guns!

As the death rate from car accidents has been decreasing due to better safety features, gun deaths are going to surpass deaths from car accidents in a few years.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Well.....I'm sure all those that have been shot in mass shootings will feel much better about that......and now that you have provided those words of wisdom we'll just sit back and do absolutely nothing.
Exactly what are you Captain of ? It can't be common sense ?
well, im sure that no victim of any deadly act (whether it be intentional or unintentional or nature) feels better that they are one in the very few that is a victim. but that doesnt change the reality that you are talking about an extremely low chance situation and you are trying to use deception to make it appear as if its more of a risk than it really is so that you can promote your own agenda.

im a captain of new jersey.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post

More likely ? Is that the type of nonsense being offered to somehow suggest that the mass school shootings are acceptable in some manner Because school busses occasionally have accidents ? Student transportation is a risk necessity that cant be changed but being shot in a classroom shouldn't even be a risk that needs consideration. The reality is that yes a school bus accident is always possible but over the years steps have been taken to redesign school busses from what they used to be to make them as safe as possible to protect our kids while absolutely nothing has been done regarding mass shootings because of the NRA and whiney gun nuts who wouldn't be able to have as many military style assault weapons as possible. Our kids our paying the price for our shortsightedness, inability to compromise, stupidity and greed !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies